Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Odd video bahavior

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Okay, so this is in entirely the wrong forum.  Nonetheless...

About a week ago I purchased a new Seagate 300GB pATA HDD.  Since installing it on already-existing hardware, I've noticed odd behavior.  Whenever I transfer large chunks of data (over 2GB at a time) to the drive, after a moment it locks up for about 5 seconds.  One of my videocards pixelates and resets, and the transfer continues.  After this reset of the video card, the two monitors it connects to perform very slowly.  The monitors on the other video card work fine. It's always the same hard drive that causes the problem and it's always the same video card that resets.  So far I've determined that it's not a heat issue (GPU @90F,CPU @98F, both otherwise idle), and it's not a conflict as all the hardware otherwise works fine.  Processes not running on that video card continue at normal speed.  Any ideas?

Problems coming from 300GB Seagate PATA drive, ATI Radeon 7500.

Relevant Hardware:

1. (mobo) NVIDIA NForce MCP2 IDE Controller 
    (Primary)
      > Western Digital 1200JB 120GB 
      > Western Digital 1200JB 120GB
    (Secondary)
      > CDWRITER IDE4816 (48x CDRW)
      > Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-106D (12x DVD+/-RW)
    2. (mobo) Silicon Image SiI 3112 SATARAID Controller
      > ST312002 6AS SCSI HDD 120GB
    3. (PCI) Silicon Image SiI 0680 U133 Medley ATA RAID Controller #1
    (Primary)
      > Western Digital 1200BB 120GB
      > Western Digital 1200BB 120GB
    (Secondary)
      > WDC WD1200BB 120GB
      > ST330083 1A SCSI HDD (New Seagate 300GB)
    4. (PCI) Silicon Image SiI 0680 U133 Medley ATA RAID Controller #2
    (Primary)
      > Maxtor 6L020J1 20GB (temp/swap)
      > (future use)
    (Secondary)
      > (future use)
      > (future use)
    5. (AGP) ATI Radeon 9550
      > 15" LCD
      > 15" TV
    6. (PCI) ATI Radeon 7500
      > 17" CRT
      > 17" CRT

• User profile image
    Manip

Sounds like your PSU is at its limit.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Hardware shot I would have thought so as well.  However, some of the hardware is on a second power supply specifically due to power issues.  The main is 650W and the external is 450W.

Note the 120mm CPU fan is actually running.  I was fairly impressed that my camera got such a still shot of it.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I don't know if this helps, but I just lost my ATI 9800 AIW card to the 'scottish plaid' pixellation effect.  Good riddance, I'll never buy ATI again.

You may, still, be running out of PSU Juice.  2 Raid controllers + all the hard drives + 2 ATI cards driving 2 monitors is a lot of electrons.

Or, it could be that ATI sucks a warm, moist wind.

I'm guessing it's ATI. 

Edit:  Also, look at IRQ usage...

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

If you conclude that it isn't your PSU, you could try moving the drive...  put it outside the case and run the cable so that it's away from the graphics card and see if it still happens.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I just thought of one other thing:  What nForce version are you using on your mobo (nForce2/3/4/?)  You have a number of cards plugged into the system all trying to use the various busses and you may have maxed out one of the bridge chips (Is that possible?)

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    If you conclude that it isn't your PSU, you could try moving the drive...  put it outside the case and run the cable so that it's away from the graphics card and see if it still happens.

Actually, the problematic 300 is one of the drives that sits outside the case.  I have nForce2 - and indeed, bandwidth could be an issue on the bus... But the problem remains after the file transfer finishes.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

Again, I don't know if this will help, but I got my video hardware and I still have the same problem.  I'm overnighting a new mobo and powersupply.  I doubt it's the supply, but I've been without a compu at home for 3 days now and the psu will be the only other thing that would cause the problem.

That said, I'm leaning towards a mobo problem for me...and it's an Asus nForce2, so you may be having the same issue.  I swapped video and had same problem.  I swapped monitors and had same problem.  I traded out memory and had same problem.  I completely wiped the HD (in case of weird drivers, ugh, that sucks) and had the same problem.

I can't imagine how hard it would be to debug your setup given all the drives and video and stuff, but you still have the coolest UI experience going Smiley

• User profile image
    Stephen

I can only think of the same reasons above, having a bus crash.

And the only other thing I can think of is the hdd driver policy.

Some drives will let you change varying aspects of write caching and how well it works depends on the drive. I would see what seagate specs are listed for this on the seagate site.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

ScanIAm wrote:

I can't imagine how hard it would be to debug your setup given all the drives and video and stuff, but you still have the coolest UI experience going

That one's going in my "spiffy quotes" repository.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.