Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Feed reader for WM 5.0: Beta tester searched!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Hi guys, I'm searching beta tester for a little program that I wrote (for the Windows Mobile 5.0 smartphone) lately. It's a feed reader, supporting RSS 0.91 and RSS 2.0 feeds right now. I'm extending it to work also with Atom in the next weeks.

I created the program to understand how the .NET compact framework works and now I'm thinking to sell it for approx. 5 $ or give it to interested people for free. I will see.

Technologies used:
    1) Internet access (WebRequest).
    2) XML
    3) SQL Server Mobile 2005
    4) Reflection
    5) GDI (some of the controls are custom written)
    6) ...

Architecture:
    Just a little bit on the internal architecture. For interested people.

IConnector -> INormalizer -> NormalizedFeed -> FeedContext

The IConnector is registered in the FeedContext and I have written connectors for local access (file access) and HTTP access. They return a XML document that is then processed by the normalizer. Each normalizer (registered also in the FeedContext class) is asked if the xml is a valid feed for him. If so the normalizer is asked to convert the XML to a NormalizedFeed class.
    I was inspired a little bit by the IE 7 team (by the video about the IE 7 beta 2 preview on C9). They say that they convert all feeds internally to a general format. I'm doing the same here.
    Adding new feeds is easy: Just write a normalizer for that feed. That's it.

The normalized feed is then converted to a Feed class. This one can be stored in the SQL Server Mobile database. I use attributes to create automatically the queries, to do the update, insert, etc. It's just a little ORM for this program.
    The main class is PersistentContext that has methods to load, persist or delete objects. When creating the PersistentContext class a storage instance is associated with the context. That storage is used to load, save, delete or insert objects.
    By creating a new storage class and setting that in the PersistentContext I could switch to any other storage. The SQL Server Mobile 2005 is just one possible storage.

Requirements:
    1) a smartphone with Windows Mobile 5.0 (I have tested it on the i-mate SP5)
    2) QVGA resolution.

Please answer to this thread (providing your e-mail address) or send me an e-mail if you are interested in the program. As beta tester you get a free version Smiley

Some screenshots:

Well you know now, for what I was asking the "New IE 7 RSS icon in high resolution?!".

• User profile image
    Tensor

Smartphone only? Or pocket PC? I just upgraded to an MDA Vario.

• User profile image
    littleguru

As far as I know it's only smartphone. You have to decide if to develop an application for smartphone or pocket pc, when creating a project in Visual Studio 2005.

Edit: It seems I have just to switch platform to make it work. Although I need to adjust the controls' size.

• User profile image
    yaggii

I would make a test with it... Just say what to do to start testing...

• User profile image
    Ian

I have a (VGA) T-Mobile MDA Pro, I'm looking for a good RSS reader. Let me know when you target this resolution and I will take a look.

• User profile image
    littleguru

yaggii wrote:
    I would make a test with it... Just say what to do to start testing...

I guess best would be sending me an e-mail. I'm sending you then the download URL. You could also leave your e-mail address here...

• User profile image
    littleguru

Ian wrote:
    I have a (VGA) T-Mobile MDA Pro, I'm looking for a good RSS reader. Let me know when you target this resolution and I will take a look.

I'm thinking to adopt the program to support more resolutions and also the PPC platform. It was first only a project for me to read the Channel 9 RSS, but now it somehow went more... Smiley

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I've got a Dell Axim X51v, which is a WM5 PPC with VGA resolution, so if you have support for that I'm interested.

• User profile image
    littleguru

Sven Groot wrote:
    I've got a Dell Axim X51v, which is a WM5 PPC with VGA resolution, so if you have support for that I'm interested.

OK. Great. I will let you know. It's great that people is willing to test Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.