Coffeehouse Thread

17 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Bill Gates will be on C9 Again! Hooray!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    z33driver

Zeo wrote:

I don't know about everyone else here on channel 9 but just knowing that C9 has been able to secure an appointment on Bill's calendar clearly asserts the fact that Microsoft's senior management believes in Channel 9.

Or that they believe in cheap advertising.

Zeo wrote:
    Even more importantly, senior Microsoft exec's see that Channel 9 hasn't been a flash in the pan project that they could easily kill off, instead they see C9 as a great asset that needs to be continually improved, built out, and leveraged.
    I hope so!  I hope they give them even more budget.  I love the C9 concept as a media portal, especially since I just discovered the Podcasts (knew they were there but never really listened to any of them).

• User profile image
    Manip

Someone's going to get their MVP extended next year 8-)

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Zeo wrote:
    Manip....my invovlement on channel 9 is purely an overflow from my invovlement in many other communities. 

That's nice...

Zeo wrote:
    I impact and help hundreds if not thousands of users outside of the channel 9 community with really hard and complex technical problems surrounding C# and .Net.

How about "who cares?"

Zeo wrote:
    I just find C9 to be a get place to escape from work and myriad .net problems and insted relax, chill out, and have fun with conversations about groking the latest MS technologies.

Congratulations Zeo...you've officially proven why people hate MVPs so much...most are braggart, self indulgent, self promoting people...and so far you've proven that.

1. C9 Should be a Technical "Hang Out" not a overflow...if you don't show up to be part of the community then you're showing up to fill requirement hours to keep your own "MVP Community" status...

2. Other people should say how much you help and support them, not you. Humility is not a strong suit in the MVP lifestyle. Did Ghandi, Parks, MLK, or any other really famous person say how awesome they were? No, other people do it for them.

IMO "WE" are Channel9, not Charles, Scoble, or Adam (well maybe)...we don't need MVPs coming on C9 saying "Hey this is awesome because it shows that Microsoft really cares and Bill Gates is Gawd he has such a packed schedual but C9 pays off because he's gonna show up and do interviews". WE decide if C9 pays off through OUR contributions. When you (MVPs) make post like yours at least in my opinion we already stamp it with "100% Crap" seal of approval. You're like the cheerleader for the local college, you don't cheer because you want to, you cheer because everyone (other MVPs) else will play you down if you don't.</rant>

But I digress...it's nice Bill does take the time out his day to show up. I betcha he's pretty busy.

• User profile image
    irascian

I thought the interview with Charles was a good one, and helped show that Bill can be "just an ordinary guy" when he wants to be. One of the best I've seen with Mr Gates who usually struggles to come across as having any real personality at all. He seemed relaxed and Charles wasn't like a deer caught in headlights, the way I've seen some folks be when trying to do an interview with him.

But when all's said and done - was there really anything revelatory or stunning in the pitch? Does it really live up to the title "tremendous"? 

It's easy to be cynical of course (I prefer the title "frustrated enthusiast" myself Wink) and clearly you're stoked about someone you admire for his success. But getting way too excited over what from anyone else would just be accepted as a pretty run of the mill interview counts as "gushing" in my book. Sorry!

• User profile image
    Manip

Indeed it was a good interview. Bill was relaxed (not so sure about Charles), I preferred the Balmer interview myself but both are very good.

It will take a few interviews with these two before the C9 team can start to relax and have a more natural interview instead of pre-set questions.

PS - Good post Cybermagellan Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Cybermagellan wrote:

Congratulations Zeo...you've officially proven why people hate MVPs so much...most are braggart, self indulgent, self promoting people...and so far you've proven that.

Zeo hasn't done anything to warrant this kind of attack. Maybe, Cybermagellan, you're projecting your own insecurities & ineptitude on others who are actually doing something out there, who are showing enthusiasm for something.

Cybermagellan wrote:
    any other really famous person say how awesome they were?

Who said that? Sounds like someone's got bit by the big green eyed monster.

• User profile image
    billh

irascian wrote:
    I thought the interview with Charles was a good one, and helped show that Bill can be "just an ordinary guy" when he wants to be. One of the best I've seen with Mr Gates who usually struggles to come across as having any real personality at all. He seemed relaxed and Charles wasn't like a deer caught in headlights, the way I've seen some folks be when trying to do an interview with him.  

I'm reminded at this point of some old Joe Walsh lyrics ("Ordinary Average Guy"):

We all live ordinary average lives
    With average kids
    And average wives
    We all go bowling at the bowling lanes
    Drink a few beers
    Bowl a few frames
    We're just ordinary average guys
    Ordinary average guys

Bill mentioned that he jumps on the trampoline once in a while.  I'm going to infer that does not involve any flips.  I think that is probably one of the more personable things I have heard about him in a long time. Now, for the next video, you should show him outdoors, on his front lawn flipping over some steaks on the barbecue grill and discussing the pros and cons of various kernal architectures.

• User profile image
    Manip

Minh wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote:

Zeo hasn't done anything to warrant this kind of attack. Maybe, Cybermagellan, you're projecting your own insecurities & ineptitude on others who are actually doing something out there, who are showing enthusiasm for something.

You need to turn off Dr.Phil and come join us in the real world... "projecting your own insecurities & ineptitude on others" ... hahah that is a classic...

• User profile image
    JKelley

It would be nice if someone could post something around here without getting a snarky response.  I thought at first it was just happening to relatively new posters who start topics but nope, you guys proved me wrong and did it to a senior C9'er.  The great thing about this site is that you can use it however you want.  You don't get to tell people what they "should" be using it for.  Zeo's got as much right to be (a little excessively) excited about whatever he wants to be excited about.  And if BillG talking relatively informally about his views about the computing world isn't part of C9's transparency mission I don't know what is.  That certainly is a sign that what the guys set out to do here is working.

Way to go harshing my buzz man.

• User profile image
    Minh

Manip wrote:

You need to turn off Dr.Phil and come join us in the real world... "projecting your own insecurities & ineptitude on others" ... hahah that is a classic...

You're obviously hiding behind a psychic wall that is projecting spikes of anger to anything that comes near -- even if it's nothing. You'd pre-emptive strike rather than be struck by rejection. You probably used to own a puppy.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

• User profile image
    Stephen

Zeo wrote:

But what impresses me even more is the easter egg that Charles mentions over here: http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=163324#163324 I mean C9 will have the opportunity to have future great conversation with Bill Gates....and all of us avid C9 members will get to see it and be brought into the conversation.  

I don't see how this is an invite for C9'ers, my interpretation of what BillG was saying was more in a UI design perspective. Amazon have so many titles available and is one of the web's succesful online shopping stores but it basically a pain to navigate as compared to walking through a physical shop selling books. The only part I see is for C9ers to go and create such wonders.

I think Bill was saying that flat and awful navigation doesn't have to be what it is now, we have the technology to fix this. It is a software problem and is just waiting for someone to write a piece of software to do this, just no one has. Bill has given us the tools to write these things, just no one is.

Thanks Charles and Bill

'No flipping here Wink'

• User profile image
    eagle

MVP's I know are extremely knowledgeable and generous.

When they want to show off they will talk about their kids. 

• User profile image
    z33driver

Stephen wrote:

I think Bill was saying that flat and awful navigation doesn't have to be what it is now, we have the technology to fix this. It is a software problem and is just waiting for someone to write a piece of software to do this, just no one has. Bill has given us the tools to write these things, just no one is.

I think its an ROI thing.  Why spend/invest the money in a fancy interface when the current layouts are "good enough" to make revenue.  Once the tools get to the point where creating the fancier interfaces don't represent a significant added cost then I think more of them will appear.

• User profile image
    Stephen

z33driver wrote:
    Stephen wrote:

I think its an ROI thing.  Why spend/invest the money in a fancy interface when the current layouts are "good enough" to make revenue.  Once the tools get to the point where creating the fancier interfaces don't represent a significant added cost then I think more of them will appear.

Bugger that, if I had the vision or the capability to picture what and how this would look like and work I would do it in a snap. ROI would be HUGE on this type of thing if I could browse the online shop the same way I walk through a bookshop. I'd stop at that book with a binder title that jumped out at me and have a flick through it, I may even add it to my cart. Then I would continue cruising down the aisle to where I was originally heading for that XAML book I wanted to look at. I don't have to have a static aisle of books like I do in a bookshop. My aisle would contain things of interest to me. My aisle would contain books on topics from the content and places I go to read things on the web and in blogs. It would be dynamic and always updating.

Software should be innovative; we should never sit back and just copy everyone else because 'that will do'. Mix is about re-mixing. Case in point is this compared to this or this. Same content different approach. Change this stuff from CSS modifications to something like the 'hypervisor' approach and you have faster more dynamic ways to view content. Give me an Amazon layout with some uber cool AJAX ATLAS pre-loading and deliver me the first 10 pages of the top 10 books with the keyword that I searched for and I can flick through those 10 books quickly and not make it a pain and a technical challenge to diligently look at each book to ensure I have picked the right book for me, instead of settling for 'that one' because it was to difficult to pick up the other books and have a flick through them spending 2 hours to look at 10 books first few pages and indexes. Amazon currently do this with the 'Search inside' features already by loading up extra pages as I look at the first page. On a 'flat' layout so to speak give me a treeview of the titles I have selected and start pre-loading these. It may be bandwidth intensive and cause a hindrance at first. This will then have others creating similar effects and code optimizing and idea optimizing will happen. Then we can go to the bookshop just for the hell of it and flick through some books. I still love going to my library and flicking through the latest tech books they have. I cannot do this easily on Amazon (or Google Print).

Edit: Here Billh has a great idea, innovative not crazy

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.