Coffeehouse Thread

19 posts

It's not "Office 12" or "Office Vista". It's...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    irascian
  • User profile image
    BryanF

Strangely, most products seem to follow the normal naming convention, but Microsoft seems to refer to the entire collection of products as 2007 Microsoft Office System, which is weird. I was kind of hoping for an Office Express -- something to replace Works in the 50$ - 100$ range with some home-oriented features and templates put in place of the enterprise features. There's always the Academic edition, but it would be a nice opportunity to simplify the product line-up.

EDIT: Looking at the pricing sheet, there is a "Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007" for 149$. I should have known; Express is only one word. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    W3bbo

irascian wrote:

I thought it would be "Office 2006", but I guess if they're aiming for a late-2006 release then it is somewhat justified (but I'd prefer an "Office 2006" moniker myself)

• User profile image
    lars

I'm glad to see a resonably priced SKU for home users. But why doesn't it include Outlook?! I'd rather have that than OneNote.

• User profile image
    Stephen

Outlook has traditionally been a 'premium' e-mail client and scheduling software.

But if they included it with all Office variations with that new k3wl thing called RSS support. Soooo many users would have the primary RSS reader called Outlook on the desktop. IE7 is OK for some RSS stuff, Outlook with RSS is extremly cool Cool

As far as I am aware Vista Mail doesn't have RSS support.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Because by the time of release Windows Vista will be out which will include Windows Calendar and Windows Mail which are like "Outlook lite"

lars wrote:
    I'm glad to see a resonably priced SKU for home users. But why doesn't it include Outlook?! I'd rather have that than OneNote.

• User profile image
    lars

Outlook is included in the Basic Editon. Why is the Home Edition the only one where you don't "need" Outlook? It's a shame because the rest of the package hits the sweet spot with both the right features and the right price point for home users IMHO.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

lars wrote:
    Outlook is included in the Basic Editon. Why is the Home Edition the only one where you don't "need" Outlook? It's a shame because the rest of the package hits the sweet spot with both the right features and the right price point for home users IMHO.

"Home" users only use Word and possibly Excel, maybe the "schoolkids" might abuse PowerPoint and Publisher once or twice.

Microsoft would make a steal if they sold a cut-price combination of Word and Excel and nothing more.

Please kill off MS Works.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

If it doesnt hit your sweet spot lars, you can always use OpenOffice and download Thunderbird with the calendar extension.

lars wrote:

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

While I was laid out across the O/R table on Saturday night I had a dream.  JC, our lord and savior came to me and said " Support ODF"

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

rjdohnert wrote:
    If it doesnt hit your sweet spot lars, you can always use OpenOffice and download Thunderbird with the calendar extension.

lars wrote:Outlook is included in the Basic Editon. Why is the Home Edition the only one where you don't "need" Outlook? It's a shame because the rest of the package hits the sweet spot with both the right features and the right price point for home users IMHO.

Thunderbird w/ the Calendar extension doesn't even come close to Outlook...  the calendar isn't integrated with the mail program at all.

• User profile image
    lars

rjdohnert wrote:

Sure. I’m merely one customer adding my point of view to the conversation.

• User profile image
    BryanF

Also, for what it's worth, if you look at the pricing of individual applications, Outlook is one of the cheapest, priced at 109$. Word and Excel, by contrast, are priced at 229$ (109$ upgrade). I wish there was a budget version of Visio for simple diagraming, but otherwise pricing seems pretty reasonable.

• User profile image
    z33driver

lars wrote:
    Because Windows Vista will include Windows Calendar, Windows Mail, and Windows Collaboration.

On another note, I have to wonder if all of these fickle name changes are the result of the politics of the marketdroids at Microsoft vying to be Top Droid.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

W3bbo wrote:

"Home" users only use Word and possibly Excel, maybe the "schoolkids" might abuse PowerPoint and Publisher once or twice.

Microsoft would make a steal if they sold a cut-price combination of Word and Excel and nothing more.

Students in my school use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (judiciously).  They tend to never touch Publisher as most don't have it, and Word is suitable for most things like brochures.

Yes, MS Works is meaningless.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

In other news, Scribus has released their RC for Windows which has about the same functionality as Publisher and would be an excellent Publisher replacement.

mVPstar wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

Students in my school use Word, Excel, and Powerpoint (judiciously).  They tend to never touch Publisher as most don't have it, and Word is suitable for most things like brochures.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

In other news, Scribus has released their RC for Windows which has about the same functionality as Publisher and would be an excellent Publisher replacement.

mVPstar wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

• User profile image
    jamie

Re: It's not "Office 12" or "Office Vista".

It's...

da da, da da, dada da, dada, dada, dada, dada  ... 

*sorry haha - i saw that: " it's..." in the thread title all day and kept hearing the monty python tune Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.