Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Did Yahoo! forward your e-mails to the NSA?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • Minh

Yahoo!: No comments.

• Xenon101

Doesn't sound good to me Sad

• Maurits

GPG... tell your friends.

Oh, and Microsoft, if you can get Hotmail to support a client-side security mechanism natively that works sender-to-recipient, I'll switch from Yahoo.

EDIT: Windows GPG implementation: Windows Privacy Tray
    EDIT2: The Congressman just asked about the mail that he had saved.  Does Yahoo keep an archive copy of mail you delete, too?

• billh

Art Bell: Oh, reeeaaally? I was wondering why I hadn't heard from Richard C. Hoagland in a while.  Just last week we were discussing the pyramids on Mars again, and how that related to chemtrails, and how that all tied together with Yahoo!, and how that all conne...

::: end of transmission :::

• Tom Servo

Does anyone trust PGP 8/9?

• Manip

Tom Servo wrote:
    Does anyone trust PGP 8/9?

I don't. And in fact by default it "offers" to store a "backup" of your PGP keys on their servers... How nice of them...

PS - Anyone that thinks the NSA *can't* read your e-mail if they wish is extremely naive. Plus if you send it over international waters (including them redirecting it there for no good reason) it is fair game.

• Stephen

The NSA don't need to read our e-mail, it is scanned on the backbone before we recieve it. That is the case for Australia anyway. (Source unknown)

Cloak and dagger, smoke and mirrors, and more fud

That Yahoo 'head/cheif' lawyer did not make me feel confident or his skillset Sad

• W3bbo

Manip wrote:
    Tom Servo wrote:Does anyone trust PGP 8/9?

I don't. And in fact by default it "offers" to store a "backup" of your PGP keys on their servers... How nice of them...

Yes, to backup your public key, that's surely something you'd want, right?

PGP6 offered a similar service, I think I did it once.

• Maurits

Your public PGP/GPG key is something you would want to distribute as widely as possible... upload it to public key servers, put it on your home page, put it on your C9 profile, etc., etc.

So having a "backup" of it is largely unnecessary.

Having a backup of your private key is a good idea too -- but on removable media, in a safe deposit box, not on PGP's servers.

• W3bbo

Maurits wrote:
    Having a backup of your private key is a good idea too -- but on removable media, in a safe deposit box, not on PGP's servers.

Y'see, this is why I use good ol-fashioned password-based encryption, I've lost my PGP keys twice in the past

• Tom Servo

In which there's no point when dealing with emails.

• lars

Not living in the US I just assume that the NSA can and do scan my email both going to servers in the US and coming back over the pond again. I wouldn’t be the least surprised if they can also get to the information while it’s stored on Hotmail, Yahoo or any other server in the US. Either by just asking for it, or if they are interested enough - by getting an insider to retrieve it for them.

The best you can hope for is not to attract any attention to yourself so your messages blend in with all the other digital background noise. Using PGP on email that doesn’t contain any secrets just makes that traffic stand out like a sore thumb for no good reason. But of course there is always that nice warm feeling you get from thinking of the possibility that your encrypted message adds just a little bit to the burden of Big Brother. Wink

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.