Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Turn off automatic restart w/ automatic updates?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    z33driver

Is there anyway to have automatic updates and installation but turn off the automatic restart?  More specifically, it downloaded and installed updates and keeps popping up the automatic restart timer (which is only 5 minutes!).  I have a lot of code windows and other stuff open and I do not want to restart for at least a couple more hours or I am going to lose a bunch of work in progress.  How can I cancel or disable that damn thing before I lose my stuff?  I just turned off automatic updates altogether but I need to cancel that automated restart thing.

• User profile image
    z33driver

I shutdown the Automatic Updates service in Service Manager and it seems to have stopped the restart prompt.  It would be nice if there were an additional button on that restart dialog that said I Will Restart or make it so Restart Later really means restart later, not prompt me with the stupid countdown timer again.

• User profile image
    cheong

z33driver wrote:
    Is there anyway to have automatic updates and installation but turn off the automatic restart?  More specifically, it downloaded and installed updates and keeps popping up the automatic restart timer (which is only 5 minutes!).  I have a lot of code windows and other stuff open and I do not want to restart for at least a couple more hours or I am going to lose a bunch of work in progress.  How can I cancel or disable that damn thing before I lose my stuff?  I just turned off automatic updates altogether but I need to cancel that automated restart thing.

Don't know what does the countdown dialog look like, but if it's the standard "scheduled shutdown" dialog, you my try to abort it by running "shutdown -a".

Anyway, I'm more a fan of "download the update and install automatically when I shutdown the computer" approach. Big Smile

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    GurliGebis

You can disable the shutdown countdown in the Group Policy Editor, under Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update .

I have the danish version of XP, so I'm not sure what the english term for it is, but it should be something close to "No automatic reboot for planned installation of automatic updates"

• User profile image
    AndyC

GurliGebis wrote:

I have the danish version of XP, so I'm not sure what the english term for it is, but it should be something close to "No automatic reboot for planned installation of automatic updates"

"No auto re-start for scheduled Automatic Updates installations"

• User profile image
    z33driver

Awesome, thanks.  Nice of MS to bury the setting, there should be a checkbox in the Automatic Updates configuration page of My Computer.

• User profile image
    Dusht

z33driver said:
    Awesome, thanks.  Nice of MS to bury the setting, there should be a checkbox in the Automatic Updates configuration page of My Computer.

I registered here just to tell you guys Thanks! clear cut and correct solutions. Cheers!

I was in the middle of a 1 TB data recovery with Windows update threatening to shut it down every 5 mins Smiley

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.