Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

PC to Phone Calling

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

I went and got myself a headset and want to make some PC to Phone calls however don't really want to pay for it. I know Skype exist however and has it's abilities however I was wondering if there is anything Microsoft related to use? Maybe something I'm not finding?

• User profile image
    Manip

It is not free with anyone (without some kind of catch). Skype is the best on the market, but if you want to go with an inferior solution with a Microsoft stamp on the box then that is your call.

• User profile image
    BryanF

As Manip said, Skype is your best bet at this point. If you're looking for a Microsoft alternative, I'm pretty sure I recall the Windows Live Messenger Beta having some sort of deal with MCI for PC to phone calls. It still isn't free, but at CES last month Microsoft showed some phones that integrate with Live Messenger, so that may be interesting to watch down the road.

• User profile image
    Stephen

BryanF wrote:

As Manip said, Skype is your best bet at this point. If you're looking for a Microsoft alternative, I'm pretty sure I recall the Windows Live Messenger Beta having some sort of deal with MCI for PC to phone calls. It still isn't free, but at CES last month Microsoft showed some phones that integrate with Live Messenger, so that may be interesting to watch down the road.

As far as I am aware this will be in WLM8 though it is not displayed at present to Aussies using WLM8 Beta... Sad

• User profile image
    Stephen

Oh yeah and Skype...

AP wrote:
    Skype, the Internet calling service recently acquired by eBay Inc., provides free voice calls and instant messaging between users. Unlike other Internet voice services, Skype calls are encrypted—encoded using complex mathematical operations. That apparently makes them impossible to snoop on, though the company leaves the issue somewhat open to question.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Well since nobody's mentioned it yet, you might try Skype.  I thought DialPad was okay until they started charging...years ago.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

MSN Messneger 2.0 through 3.0 had built-in VOIP functionality via Net2Phone (some random VOIP company during the dotcom boom), I don't know where they are now, but the prices were a rip-off and the sound quality was horrid on dial-up (which everyone had at the time, except me... yay for ISDN)

• User profile image
    eagle

Net2Phone is on Broad Street in Newark, NJ.

There are now several services better and cheaper then Skype. You can get a free phone # and answering service on a few of them, on Skype that's a premium service

Google and Microsoft will be in this space in a big way soon....

• User profile image
    Manip

eagle wrote:
    There are now several services better and cheaper then Skype. You can get a free phone # and answering service on a few of them, on Skype that's a premium service

For example?

• User profile image
    eagle

I use Stanaphone and Skype.

At CES I met the Dalfone team, but haven't tried them yet...

Microsoft now owns Teleo and Gizmo is just down the street from Google.

• User profile image
    Manip

eagle wrote:

I use Stanaphone and Skype.

At CES I met the Dalfone team, but haven't tried them yet...

Microsoft now owns Teleo and Gizmo is just down the street from Google.

No, I want examples of:

eagle wrote: You can get a free phone #

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.