Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Most Popular Ninner

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

how about making a new page on channel9 website, a statistics page, where will be displayed ninners by replies/posts and views and some others ninner information like: bio, avatar etc?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Good idea.  I've been asking for some way to track a user's # of replies for some time, but nobody seems to be listening... or hearing, or caring... Not sure which.  Maybe my requests have just gone overlooked.

• User profile image
    Manip

Why? It would also add to the noise and decrease the free flow of discussion (if you are aiming to be popular rather than back your corner).

Other than being able to call yourself "Most popular" (which by the way is a childish indulgence) what, if anything, is the value?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

It may provide insight to how active a person is in other peoples' threads.  This would infer (accurately or not) the likelihood of their helping with new ideas, etc. 

• User profile image
    Manip

SlackmasterK wrote:
    It may provide insight to how active a person is in other peoples' threads.  This would infer (accurately or not) the likelihood of their helping with new ideas, etc. 

OK so let as assume that your able to infer 'Bob' would be most likely to help with new ideas, etc ... What then?

Wait I can see it now:

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Dear bob,

I was viewing the top ten most popular 9ers page, and noticed your number one. I am wondering, do you have any new ideas, etc? PLEASE HELP! I NEED YOUR IDEAS ETC!!!

- Yours Sincerely SlackmasterK

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

I don't think I like the idea of 'popularity'. Reminds me of high-school, of always being the last picked in gym. A very un-nerdly concept.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

An alternative would be to have post rating systems where users could rate posts/replies +/- similar to Slashdot comments. The user's profile page could include their total modifiers.  Of course with all this rich functionality we'd need ignore/block features so if we're being pestered by a user who just won't get banned (Not here!) we can simply ignore them independently.

TommyCarlier wrote:
    A very un-nerdly concept.

Oh, that's hitting below the belt.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Of course there also exist nerdly concepts that resemble popularity, but I just don't like the term 'popular' in the high-school meaning. Just use a less negative word, like 'valuable'.

• User profile image
    irascian

TommyCarlier wrote:
    Of course there also exist nerdly concepts that resemble popularity, but I just don't like the term 'popular' in the high-school meaning. Just use a less negative word, like 'valuable'.

What's being proposed here surely is "most PROLIFIC niner" which is an entirely different thing from "valuable" or "popular". Beer28 would probably be the winner if this had been introduced a few months back. Enough said!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Although I find it fairly useless to keep a top 10 list, the old profile page did have the number of posts made by that niner, and I don't really understand why it has gone away with the redesign.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

The number of posts a niner makes, says nothing about the value of those posts.

• User profile image
    Manip

TommyCarlier wrote:
    I don't think I like the idea of 'popularity'. Reminds me of high-school, of always being the last picked in gym. A very un-nerdly concept.

Didn't you read the memo? Nerdy is out, bloggers are in.

First people on the internet were nerds/geeks and accidemics... Newsgroups, IRC, MUD -- fun times... These people created HTTP/HTML to send each other ideas.

But when doing so they, didn't consider "easier" access to information would cause outsiders to come online (e.g. AOL Subscribers).

These AOL subscribers (as a group) can be tracked as they got more computer literate. First off they posted useless / troll junk on newsgroups and later forums, when they figured out how to connect, they spammed and trolled IRC too.

Then, unfortunately for us, some of them figured out how to create web-sites and everyone had their own personal web-site (e.g. Geocities)... Created a lot of noise on the internet, very little new content.

Some of them, with no concept of community or common good then learned to code and created our first spyware.

If we skip ahead to recently, this same group is now supplying their computer illiterate brethren with software so they too can do what this group has always done, spam, troll, and generally fill the internet with more noise than new content - Blogging.

These people think they're special because they link to other people's information adding vague (and often inaccurate / ignorant) opinions... Worse still they will cross link from one to another for no obvious reason.

Basically these AOL Computer Illiterate scum are the bottom feeders of the Internet and have, since they've been online acted like a virus making the internet a worse place to be because of it.

The boundaries to entry to post on the 'net are just too low now, anyone who can fill in a form and login can now create a simple "person site" to post whatever they want.

Note: There are a few bloggers who aren't these computer illiterate scum, these people are just too lazy to create their own personal web-site but do still spend most of their time posting real, and original content with real justified opinions - They are the exception, not the rule.

• User profile image
    TommyCarlier

Manip wrote:
    Didn't you read the memo? Nerdy is out, bloggers are in.

I don't really care what's in or out. That's cattle mentality. I'm not a cow.
    And besides, the bloggers I like best, are usually nerds, or have nerd-like qualities.

• User profile image
    eagle

The 9Guy

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Manip wrote:
    The boundaries to entry to post on the 'net are just too low now, anyone who can fill in a form and login can now create a simple "person site" to post whatever they want.

Sounds to me like you're anti-freedom-of-speech.  Shouldn't people be able to say whatever they want?  Nobody has to listen, nobody has to go to their site; but people should be able to say it nonetheless.
    TommyCarlier wrote:
    The number of posts a niner makes, says nothing about the value of those posts.

This is why I suggested the modifier system.  A user's profile would indicate what sort of poster (s)he is.  i.e. "Jamie +5 funny", "beer28 -5 troll").

• User profile image
    Steve411

TommyCarlier wrote:

Valuable is bad too. Popular is just fine, as far as activity on certain threads or forums, i can have it done in a few mins.

- Steve

• User profile image
    Manip

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Manip wrote: The boundaries to entry to post on the 'net are just too low now, anyone who can fill in a form and login can now create a simple "person site" to post whatever they want.

Sounds to me like you're anti-freedom-of-speech.  Shouldn't people be able to say whatever they want?  Nobody has to listen, nobody has to go to their site; but people should be able to say it nonetheless.

That's a pretty silly statement. Freedom of speech is about people's right to speak... I'm talking about peoples ability to. If there were naturally boundaries before someone could post it would discourage those who have the least to say.

• User profile image
    Charles

We should provide this information (number of posts) in the user's profile (like we used to, sort of). I'll see to it that this happens.

As far as popularity and favoritism: We have never supported these notions on C9 and do not plan to. 

We don't like popularity contests. We love all the Niners, equally, like the good parents we are Smiley

Keep on posting,
    C

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.