Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Vista 5270 and Office 2007 b1 "tour"

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jwfisher

Now that we're in the clear to talk about some aspects of Office 12 b1 (client only), I've updated my "tour" (over 300 screen images) of Office 12 running on Vista 5270 to include even more screen shots. I know, the Office beta not supported on Vista (although the next intermediate beta drop of Office will be).

These are legitimate builds, as part of my participation it the Vista beta and Office technical beta.

As I was installing everything and trying out the new features on Vista, I decided to capture as many screen shots as possible and build a "tour" for other folks to look thru. I've been asked repeatedly by colleagues, friends, and family what Vista is all about... this is one way to show them.

It's fairly methodical, and split into sections, but doesn't have absolutely everything. I didn't, for example, have a way to capture the Vista install. And I'd like to find a way to capture live video of AeroGlass in action. I've been updating the tour every couple of days as I try out more parts of Vista.

I picked up a new Dell XPS dual-core system specifically to run Vista and Office 12 on. Functionally, it's overkill but it has the capabilities necessary to run AeroGlass. I'm not implying any minimum or optimal requirements for Vista, that's not my place. Just a really nicely done cool machine that will go on to other purposes after Vista GAs. To keep things realistics, I'll also add a bunch of screenshots from a notebook shortly...

And how did I build the "tour"? With OneNote 12 of course - a killer productivity app (with great improvements in it's new release - the OneNote team did a great job) - and eventually moving everything over to HTML.

I like everything I see in Vista and Office 2007... although clearly some of it is still "in progress" on the available builds. Speaking of which, the Vista build is two months old and the Office build is almost 3 months old - definitely time for Microsoft to ante up some far newer builds. The old ones work well enough for me to use in my daily work - very carefully and st some degree of risk. It's also, IMHO, time for MS to ante up a build of OneCare for Vista so that we can have virus protection (anti-spyware is *not* enough).

Apparently, if things stay on plan, we'll have new builds of both Vista and Office 12 in the next few weeks (in fact, in an MSDN webcast earlier this week it was said the new Vista build might even arrive this weekend - I believe that was probably a mistake and shouldn't have been said). Then I'll start building the "tour" all over again.

-Jeff
    http://www.jwfisher.com/sec-vista/

• User profile image
    irascian

jwfisher wrote:
    earlier this week it was said the new Vista build might even arrive this weekend - I believe that was probably a mistake and shouldn't have been said

Several Microsoft blogs have said February 21st is when the new Vista CTP build will be available.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Wow, lot's of screens. But some screenshots are very small resized in the Start menu section.

• User profile image
    blowdart

jwfisher wrote:

And how did I build the "tour"? With OneNote 12 of course - a killer productivity app

It's funny how OneNote is treated in Office, it comes with the student editions, ad Enterprise (Volume License Only). Shame really.

• User profile image
    jwfisher

Yup, what started out as a way to communicate some cool new Vista stuff to friends and family turned into a way huge effort. My initial images are crude and small, then get bigger later. When I do the entire thing over for the next build, I'll be more consistent.

This effort was relatively straightforward to do because I use OneNote to capture the images (whcih I never have to touch with an editor) and take notes - then convert it (via Word 12) to HTML.

Admittedly, that does make for a heckuva lot of XML and ultra-complex code in the generated HTML file - and it can be slow in some cases (and I've split it up into multiples files), but it also allows me to make changes quickly in OneNote 12 and republish quickly. There are some funky constraints about what OneNote-converted-to-HTML looks like... I've talked to the OneNote team and made some suggestions there for their next time out.

Everything is done under Vista, too. And it's only gone "bang" on me once (who knew there was a OneNote cache file?) during the OneNote note-taking and screen-grabbing processes. I'm exceedingly happy with OneNote and think it's one of the coolest efforts on the part of MS in years. It's certainly got a great dev team, and one I'd love to be part of.

I've participated in every Windows and Office beta for the last ~11 years. For me, this set is the most exciting Windoes/Office betas in several years!

For developers, there is a ton of great stuff ion these new products, IMHO more delivered at any one time than MS has managed in many many years.
    For end-users there is more cool function (which makes our jobs cool) than any time since '95 (sure, 2000 was good - but it was just more of the same thinking on a proper base. XP showed some new thinking. Vista is way new and shows us what is to come in the future).

Now, IMHO (since I'm not an MS employee anymore), get new releases out the door far more frequently - each with smaller but still important increments. Vista took too many years, SQL took rediculously and absurdly long, etc.

And please get us new builds more frequently too. Office 12 is three months old - and despite all it's fabulous promise - which I've been able to personally and professionally realize by using it on a daily basis every single day since it came out (I replaced every single instance of Office 2003 I had!) - it is a bit creaky. I can only imagine what a newer build looks like.

The CTP concept is fabulous, it works for us all, and it's a better return on bug fixes than are betas with less impact to the development schedule. A win all around. Make CTP the rule rather than the exception for all your development teams.

• User profile image
    jwfisher

blowdart wrote:
    jwfisher wrote:
    And how did I build the "tour"? With OneNote 12 of course - a killer productivity app

It's funny how OneNote is treated in Office, it comes with the student editions, ad Enterprise (Volume License Only). Shame really.

Yes, and IMHO that needs some re-think. The original big price drop was important to get more copies of it out on the street and that may account for the student price. A low price is also needed for the professional user - who once they make the jump can find tremendous value from it.

I've been using OneNote since it's original inception - the first Alpha. I also had one of the first TabletPCs around (not that TabletPC is a requirement for OneNote) and carried both into several hundred major account visits I made for a prior gig (even though the TabletPC wasn't built by them - at the time they stubbornly refused to realize what it's value was - so I could get away with carrying a PC from a different vendor with me because they didn't build one) and drew every single technical diagram on it (application architecture) and took every single technical note on it. In fact, I made it a point not to write anything on paper. I'm doing the same now in a new gig, although sadly I can't get away with carrying the TabletPC anymore, and again every single account I deal with has invaluable notes taken and stored in OneNote (12 - I've already made the jump). Most people here can't imagine what a fabulous asset it is having everything you do stored electronically. It's a goldmine of information, all searchable, and all able to be pulled up immediately when I encounter that customer again - maybe years from now. OneNote is probably the most valuable tool I have, period!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I like the way you empasize that your tour consists of genuine Windows from your MSDN account.  I would sure hope so.  On the net too many people are complaining that their pirated versions are not working.  I do agree, probably the most exciting version of Windows in awhile.  I am personally still using build 5270.  Im finding it very hard to go back to Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003 from Windows Vista.

I intend to keep using the betas and the CTP's until the RTM release of Windows Vista on my laptops and machines.

One thing you will notice though, if you use Firefox, Firefox does crash especially when using the IE Tab extension.

• User profile image
    jwfisher

I only had to use FireFox because Radio Userland (my blogger of choice) didn't work on IE7 - and I am dependent on that. I wouldn't use Firefox for anything else, period.

And, thanks to some very good folks at Radio UserLand, Radio is now fixed and I have moved back to IE7 for it.

So, Firefox is history on Vista. As it should be.

• User profile image
    spandau_b2

Is there any chance to get my hands on a ( free ) legal copy of Vista  without  having  to download it from some illegal server ?
    Although i'm not an Windows user, i do sell  Microsoft  stuff  and i would very much like to know in advance about what i'm talking about.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Beta 2 (or whatever they're calling that build now) should be a public beta.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

BTW, Netscape 8.1 works flawlessly on Win Vista 5270. 8.0.4 had some problems with the IE engine.  I personally like Netscape.

• User profile image
    jwfisher

rjdohnert wrote:
    I like the way you empasize that your tour consists of genuine Windows from your MSDN account.  I would sure hope so.  On the net too many people are complaining that their pirated versions are not working.

Thanks... legality is important.

I will admit to getting *really* antsy about having to wait a year from the first Alpha to the first beta. I had to make a lot of calls to attempt to get something in between those two far-apart builds - and MS was locked up totally tight on that topic. So, I had to wait.. and wait... and wait. Finally the beta arrived.

In the old days, when I was in Redmond as an MSFT employee, I would have access to *everything* - daily builds, "what-ifs" from Research, everything. Microsoft is extremely good - beter than anybody - about making information available to everyone internally. MS wants everybody to know product, and everyone knows a surprising amount about product.

Back then, I installed a new build every few days when Windows of Office was in development. And like a lot of people, I proudly had at the bottom of my email notes "written on Windows 2000 and Office 10" - or whatever the product in development was. Those were great days.

Note that of course some builds were a risk... theseare not something that would be of interest to anyone externally, or should be. For developers, which I was not, incremental function additions in daily builds would play havoc with any kind of structured application development process.

That is why I am so big on the CTP practice, it's a great idea and one I would personally like to see in a lot more places - like Office for example. Unlike several years ago, Vista and Office builds are so highly instrumented that issues discovered in CTPs can be instantly traced back to the development group and even the person responsible - so MS gets the info that is needed and the end user has the satisfaction of having made a contribution (which I do, my data is going back every day). Kudos to the Vista staff for using this methodology.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

You will probably get more visitors

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.