Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Vista SKU Web Page Up!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andre Da Costa

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/c0680472-bb5f-4a9c-9480-b16ab3eeb8f51033.mspx
    The listed SKUs are

• Windows Starter 2007
    • Windows Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Vista Home Premium
    • Windows Vista Business
    • Windows Vista Enterprise
    • Windows Vista Ultimate
    • Windows Vista Home Basic N
    • Windows Vista Business N
    There may be a few things we haven't seen yet!
    Attached Image

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

<speculation>
    Does an online help and support page mean that a public CTP is coming soon?
    </speculation>

• User profile image
    Stephen

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    <speculation>
    Does an online help and support page mean that a public CTP is coming soon?
    </speculation>

February 21 is the rumour on Microsoft-Watch

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

8 SKU's .... ridiculous

How many SKU's of OS X are there?

Of all the commercial vendors of Linux how many different SKU's do they have 2 at the most.

I can understand having TabletPC version and Media Center edition because they cover special hardware configurations.  I think having so many different SKU's will eventually lead to confusion.

• User profile image
    Steve411
  • User profile image
    jamie

oh boy!  500 pages with no graphics (*seriously-no screens) describing the most obvious way of doing things!  hooray!

man - if you could KILL - SHOOT - STAB a website it would be msdn

(minus channel9 of course)

everytime i go there it tells me EVERYTHING i ever needed to know ABOUT something - but offers NOTHING in working samples to DO it!

(..and when it actually tries too - it breaks them up in code peices..bah!)

..calm down...calm down...

this is why google has better results - cause its some guy who made it work instead of some clerk typing garbage!

*puts head in bucket of cold water*  ttsssssssssssss.......

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

rjdohnert wrote:
    8 SKU's .... ridiculous
    Well you're only ever going to see two or three SKUs on the shelf or on most OEM machines, which would be about the same as what Dell offers now (XP Home, XP Pro and MCE).

• User profile image
    PaoloM

rjdohnert wrote:
    8 SKU's .... ridiculous

1. Windows XP Starter
    2. Windows XP Home
    3. Windows XP Pro
    4. Windows XP Tablet PC
    5. Windows XP Media Center
    6. Windows XP N (are there two SKUs here, for Home and Pro?)
    7. Windows XP Pro 64bit

So, if you'd have a version that includes all MCE and Tablet functionality added to this list, we would be at 8 (or 9), just like Vista.

rjdohnert wrote:

It depends on how you count them. Do different revisions count as different SKUs?

In any case we have:

1. OSX
    2. OSX for Intel
    3. OSX Server
    4. OSX Server for Intel

And no tablet or media center functionality whatsoever.
    rjdohnert wrote:
    I can understand having TabletPC version and Media Center edition because they cover special hardware configurations.  I think having so many different SKU's will eventually lead to confusion.

Well, there's a lot of people that need just a bit of functionality from the "up" version but not the total package. For example, let's say you put the MCE functions in a Professional SKU. Now, as a home user, I'd like the MCE, but I couldn't care less about joining domains. Similarly, as a business user, I need domain joins, but MCE would be useless.

The big problem here is not the stratification of the offering, that's great, it will be communication and consumer awareness. You guys (MSFT) must come to a point where someone walks into Office Depot and picks one of the versions without thinking twice, because they already know what they want.

• User profile image
    Rowan

• Windows Vista Home Basic
    • Windows Vista Home Premium
    If I buy Home Basic, will it remove some of the functionality from the Premium version, or does the Premium version just have some extra applications?

I don't want to buy Basic just to find that it doesn't support something I might need. It would be great if one could buy Basic and then purchase some of the extra features that the Premium version offers, just so people don't have to worry about whether or not they will miss out on something.

Where can we find detailed descriptions of the differences between each version? The help and support page doesn't explain much in terms of differences, as a few packages seem to offer exactly the same things.

p.s. Does anyone else find the Vista home page extremely slow on the rollover images with IE? It's a good thing I don't use IE.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Rowan wrote:
    If I buy Home Basic, will it remove some of the functionality from the Premium version, or does the Premium version just have some extra applications?

Thurott has a break down; how accurate it is though is anyone's guess, lord knows his opinion pieces can be complete crap Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

My predication:

Dell and Sony and a few other "high end" (but still capable of receiving derision) OEMs will stock Home Premium, whereas the "el cheapo" OEMs (Time, Tiny, etc) will stock Home Basic.

This won't last, customers will be expecting the functionality of Home Premium on Home Basic, the same thing will happen with the business edition. The PHBs will get "Business Edition" thinking it was being a "cheaper version of" Enterprise Edition, even though it'll probably be inappropriate for the company.

And what about "Ultimate Editon"? I can't really see any use for this OS SKU, plus the name sounds somewhat dodgy.

• User profile image
    blowdart

W3bbo wrote:

And what about "Ultimate Editon"? I can't really see any use for this OS SKU, plus the name sounds somewhat dodgy.

It'll be pirated off bit torrent my students until the next server OS comes out, which will then replace their endless willy waving contests.

Cynical, me?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

blowdart wrote:
    W3bbo wrote:

It'll be pirated off bit torrent my students until the next server OS comes out, which will then replace their endless willy waving contests.

Cynical, me?

Pfft, if I was going to warez Windows Vista I'd go for Enterprise, from the description it sounds like Windows Messenger compared to Ultimate Edition's MSN Messenger 7.5

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Damnit, if there's no Professional SKU, then how am I supposed to make Vista Pro jokes?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Nope they do not count.  the versions for Intel are for specific hardware configurations, like the TabletPC or MCE.  They are necessary.  Unlike with Microsoft, Microsoft limits functionality in their SKU's of Windows Vista and then trys to pass em off as necessary. 

PaoloM wrote:

It depends on how you count them. Do different revisions count as different SKUs?

In any case we have:

1. OSX
    2. OSX for Intel
    3. OSX Server
    4. OSX Server for Intel

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Every SKU but ultimate Edition is a joke.  Start making em up.

Sven Groot wrote:
    Damnit, if there's no Professional SKU, then how am I supposed to make Vista Pro jokes?

• User profile image
    AndyC

rjdohnert wrote:

Of all the commercial vendors of Linux how many different SKU's do they have 2 at the most.

Apple don't have anything near the market share to make it worth differentiating between versions of OS X, Linux is free so differentiation is pointless other than to offer higher levels of support.

Windows is on a whole different playing field. Most people here are probably looking at the Ultimate version, my parents probably won't need anything above Home Basic, many others fall somewhere in the middle. The best way to serve those markets is by providing different SKUs.

The only issue is how upgrades can be dealt with. My understanding is that all Vista disks will be the same, so hopefully an upgrade can be easily purchased over the net, if you find the SKU you have to be too restrictive.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

AndyC wrote:
    all Vista disks will be the same

Indeed, if 5270 is any indication. Although we currently don't have any SKUs to test besides Ultimate, the 5270 DVD will install either Vista or Longhorn Server depending on which product key was given.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.