Coffeehouse Thread

21 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Music 1.0

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

to go along with:  Microsoft Draw  Microsoft Photo  & Microsoft (Fractal) Paint    

we could sure use a  "Microsoft Music"  (Garageband equiv)

Sony bought Sonic Foundry

so...   who should ms buy?..  (oracle buys someone everyday!)

..or is there an ms music app in the works no one knows about..

<crickets>

where are they flying this plane to anyway?? Perplexed

PS - sorry to all who thought the title actually meant a real app - wouldnt that be cool? ms music app... oh well.. Microsoft Music... comeon ms - that has to exist! Smiley

• User profile image
    Karim

jamie wrote:
    to go along with:  Microsoft Draw  Microsoft Photo  & Microsoft Paint    

we could sure use a  "Microsoft Music"  (Garageband equiv)

so...   who should they buy..  (oracle buys someone everyday!)

..or is there an ms music app in the works no one knows about..

<crickets>

where are they flying this plane to anyway??

Now that would be a good interview -- how does Microsoft decide whether to come out with a new product...?  I'm assuming the process is more sophisticated than the Magic 8-Ball Google uses.

There's probably a spreadsheet somewhere with a buy vs. build decision tree...

At this point, Microsoft jumping in a new space (music creation) might be more a liability than an asset.  About two seconds after Microsoft announced their intention to create an anti-virus product, Symantec went whining to the EU complaining that Evil Microsoft was going to put them out of business by giving away anti-virus software.  (Now Symantec is panicking because they're going to have to make a security suite that doesn't suck for a change.)  That was merely a repeat of what RealNetworks had done years before...

What do you suppose Sony would do if Microsoft came out with something like Acid Music Studio ($70), or Acid XMC ($40), or God forbid, Acid PRO ($300)... and then gave it away?  Sony would scream bloody murder to the EU, the DOJ, anyone who'd listen...

South Korea fined Microsoft $32 million for giving away a music player.  What do you suppose they'll fine Microsoft for bundling a music creator?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

jamie wrote:
    Sony bought Sonic Foundry

You know...not a bad idea.... Microsoft can cut out the middleman on rootkits then...they come bundled with your OS. That way they can make the EU happy and Symantec all in one.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Fruity Loops is a great music app:
    http://www.flstudio.com/k.asp?P=143

• User profile image
    lukes

Karim wrote:

South Korea fined Microsoft $32 million for giving away a music player.  What do you suppose they'll fine Microsoft for bundling a music creator?

don't forget, when you buy a new Mac Apple bundles iLife in the package. Maybe Microsoft should make a music app for windows + mac then cry foul play about apple Wink

• User profile image
    Cairo

jamie wrote:

Microsoft Draw
    Microsoft Photo
    Microsoft Paint    <- haha
    Microsoft Music

Microsoft Life, MS-Life, Life Live, whatever

But... PAINT?

• User profile image
    FXEF

Users pay for all of Microsoft software when they buy Windows. MS is not in the business to give away software, you pay one way or the other.

FXEF

• User profile image
    BigDataDev

ProTools is the music industry standard.

Microsoft should do a Digidesign ProTools Starter Edition for Vista.

I see that Microsoft already has a minority stake in Digidesign's parent company Avid.

• User profile image
    jamie

PocketXP wrote:
    ProTools is the music industry standard.

Microsoft should do a Digidesign ProTools Starter Edition for Vista.

I see that Microsoft already has a minority stake in Digidesign's parent company Avid.

wow! thats the answer!  (although thats from 1998...)

i cant believe MS - sort of - OWNS PROTOOLS!

then again they owned softimage too ;P

EDIT:  avid is softimage - ms sold it long ago Sad

• User profile image
    itprochris

microsoft VIDEO studio would be cool. it's own adaption of Avid Liquid Edition.

• User profile image
    jamie

actually - they sold soft image to avid - and kept 10% of company

http://news.com.com/Microsoft+sells+Softimage+to+Avid/2100-1001_3-212301.html

man - thats good news

* In toronto - Alias Wavefront has a big building downtown - so now we just need one with expression/corel and avid

Reporter: "so youre into the media creation space in a big way then"?

MS Dynamite: "err uhh yeah.  GOD! what did you think we were doing idiot!
    Smiley

• User profile image
    Minh

Wait, isn't there already a MS Garageband?

• User profile image
    jamie

Minh wrote:
    Wait, isn't there already a MS Garageband?

lol

ps - member these: (old)

they are a mess - but still...    they show a simple drag and drop app ms currently lacks

* to the bean counters - SOUND PACKS! Smiley  add on sounds (like apple does)  100$ a pop - orchestra, Rap, Rock etc

• User profile image
    jamie

"At January's Macworld Expo, Apple introduced the first of its Intel-based Macs, including a revamped iMac and the MacBook Pro laptop. The company also updated its iLife and iWork software products, but announced little in its music business, which now makes up more than half of the company's overall sales. "

http://news.com.com/Apple+teases+launch+of+mysterious%2C+fun+products/2100-1041_3-6041563.html?tag=nefd.top

• User profile image
    billh

Karim wrote:
    Now that would be a good interview -- how does Microsoft decide whether to come out with a new product...?  I'm assuming the process is more sophisticated than the Magic 8-Ball Google uses.

There's probably a spreadsheet somewhere with a buy vs. build decision tree...

At this point, Microsoft jumping in a new space (music creation) might be more a liability than an asset. 

I'm still trying to figure out what Crossfader was supposed to be.  The home page has not changed in months.  Was that an attempt to move into the music realm? I can't tell.

• User profile image
    dentaku

Didn't Microsoft buy Softimage MANY years ago then get rid of it very quickly?
    MS Music would be more useful for the average user than a huge 3D app but I still don't see much reason for Microsoft to get into that business.

EDIT: Oops, I should have read the rest of the thread and noticed the Softimage references :O

ByTheWay:
    That new icon makes you look like Simon Cowell only with more hair.

• User profile image
    Karim

billh wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out what Crossfader was supposed to be.  The home page has not changed in months.  Was that an attempt to move into the music realm? I can't tell.

Walken: I can't tell... but that site needs more cowbell.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Karim wrote:
    billh wrote:

Walken: I can't tell... but that site needs more cowbell.

LOL...too much

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.