Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Spammer scores Gold at Olympics

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Stephen

So, I was actually looking for a spam solution earlier, the above headline caught my eye.

I proceeded to read the content. This guy is AUSTRALIAN (via Canada)

Threadwatch wrote:
    Threadwatch - Well, some say it's pop-ups and pop-unders, others say pop-up blockers, but plenty of sources have reported he's a spammer.. and he's just scored a Gold Medal in the Olympics at Turin.

Dale Begg-Smith started an "online marketing company" at age 14 with his brother out of Vancouver, which became AdsCPM Network (said to be worth $40 million). Now, a millionaire at age 21, he set aside the business for training and it seems to have paid off. He's the best moguler in the world.

The Age wrote:
    The Age -  (Australian Newspaper) - "The ski dream funded by a spam fortune"

The Age wrote:
    The Age - 'Spam man' wins gold

According to the International Olympic Committee's website, Australia's gold medallist Dale Begg-Smith, runs an internet pop-up advertising company that he describes as the third largest of its type.

But that's about as much detail as you'll get out of the Lamborghini-driving Canadian-turned-Australian moguls skier who is reluctant to talk about his dealings which remain shrouded in secrecy.

Normally including up until an hour ago I was happy us Aussies won another Winter Olympics Gold medal...

Now I am not so happy Sad

Edit: Added third link Sad

• User profile image
    Manip

What does A have to do with B?

• User profile image
    Stephen

I suppose good luck to him on winning a gold medal.

Bad luck his company sends spam around the world.

He and his brother created the company that sends spam to everyone.

Anyone remember having to disable 'messenger' service = his company used this exploit

Begg-Smith wrote:
    Begg-Smith reiterated that his business was set up to help fund his skiing career and that he was now concentrating on his sport.

I myself do not find spamming a honorable way to raise funding for your sporting career.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Bad karma will come back to him in his personal life.

Too bad Westerners exalt profit over ethics.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Stephen wrote:
    I myself do not find spamming a honorable way to raise funding for your sporting career.
    THAT is what A has to do with B...I tried explaining it to my wife...she just didn't get it. While others are working hard to get endorsements to buy gear with, working to pay for their lifestyle (House, Kids, Car) and THEN extra to practice for the Olypmics...this guy isn'tHe's sitting back counting money while your computer is getting infected and giving you (I need to watch my language) popups. He doesn't have to "work" to take care of himself....There is also an honor code to the Olympic committee as well, after all if you can't take steriods to give you that unfair advantage why should you be able to fund yourself using unethical tactics?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

I would consider popups annoying but they are not spam. Does his company do email spamming?

• User profile image
    Stephen

Family/Group/Type:
    adscpm.com, CPM-MEDIA.COM,  2nd Thought/Bundled Adware

Aliases: CPM, 2nd thought, XZoomy, Don Lativalle of Canada, adscpm.com

Major Adware Varaints:
    AdIntelligence, PeopleOnPage, Inc, Ad Destroyer - Spyware Labs, Inc,
    Virtual Bouncer - Spyware Labs, Inc, BetterInternet Transponder Variants

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Stephen wrote:

Family/Group/Type:

Major Adware Varaints:

That may be ad stuff, but it isn't spam.Cool

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Well.. I wish him all the best..   yes..  break a leg Wink

• User profile image
    Stephen

Harlequin wrote:
    Stephen wrote:

Family/Group/Type:

Major Adware Varaints:

That may be ad stuff, but it isn't spam.

Thats what we get when left to Journo's...

Malformed DATA Perplexed

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Won't IE7's phishing filter cut into all his profits, though? He may not be back for the next Olympics.

• User profile image
    z33driver

AdDestroyer....Spyware Labs.....  So not only is this guy doing popups, but he's one of these guys purveying misleading malware and spyware, that purports to fix your system but then actually spies on you???

• User profile image
    Stephen

Sad He has his own stamp now

• User profile image
    otech

Damn it, and they're all self adhesive now.

I was looking forward to spitting on them before slapping them on an envelope next time...

guess I can still do that..

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.