Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Anti-Spyware rebranded Microsoft Defender

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    David7738

As of Feb 17. Microsoft released Beta2 of their antipyware product and renamed it Microsoft Defender (to align the product with the Vista product)..

Large changes in the user interface.

I still can't get remnants of their live product off of my system though.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Odd, thought I saw this a month or so ago.  Maybe it was a reference to a future name on a blog.

• User profile image
    sushovande

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Odd, thought I saw this a month or so ago.  Maybe it was a reference to a future name on a blog.

You must have heard it because it came bundled with Vista 5270 as Windows Defender (if I remember correctly).

As for Windows Defender beta 2, I don't like it for a couple of reasons. Angel It has no systray icon which I could have right clicked and shutdown. (b) The 'tracks eraser' feature is gone. It also does not show what different features it protects against. Windows AntiSpyware clearly stated the three broad categories it protected from, and the different threats in different categories and allowed you to turn them on or off. All that is gone!

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

David7738 wrote:

I still can't get remnants of their live product off of my system though.

Funny you mention that. Installing Live Safety Center beta and then uninstalling to install AOL Safety and Security Center it says that I have two firewalls....though I don't

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

David7738 wrote:

Large changes in the user interface.

In the newest builds of Vista the setup for this is integrated right in with the setup process.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Cybermagellan wrote:
    In the newest builds of Vista the setup for this is integrated right in with the setup process.

Hopefully this is something the installing person can disable or change settings for... I hate running extra stuff.  Sure, I've had virii and spyware several times and removed them ad infinitum; but they never actually caused major problems.  Except when I tried to uninstall Smiley

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote:In the newest builds of Vista the setup for this is integrated right in with the setup process.

Hopefully this is something the installing person can disable or change settings for... I hate running extra stuff.  Sure, I've had virii and spyware several times and removed them ad infinitum; but they never actually caused major problems.  Except when I tried to uninstall

Yeah it is...the screen in Windows Defender where it ask if you would like to recieve automatic updates or not is exactlly the same (as of right now) as it is in Vista.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.