Coffeehouse Thread

49 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What is your favorite movie?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

I begin: Star Trek, Andromeda, Recruit, Swordfish and some anime Smiley

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Favorites: Office Space, Antitrust, Top Gun, A Few Good Men, The General's Daugter, Star Trek (minus original series).

Also enjoy: Recruit, Basic, Silence of the Lambs, Hannibal, Sum of All Fears, Super Troopers, 3 Kings, Apocalypse Now, The Last Castle, Good Morning Vietnam, Rules of Engagement, Tears of the Sun.

Other good movies: Eyes Wide Shut (Major sweet T&A), Star Wars

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

and Final Destination, Appleseed, A Lote like love too. Tongue Out

• User profile image
    jozjan

Final Destination 1,2
    Ice Age
    Scary Movie
    The Exorcist
    LoTR
    Terminator
    Battlestar Galactica (ok, it's not a real movie, but i like it)

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Kill Bill
    Final Destination series
    The Exorcist
    Exorcist the beginning
    Dominion prequel to the Exorcist
    The Exorcism of Emily Rose
    The 9th Gate

(Yes I have a real love for the devil)

All of the Howling movies
    Most Vampire movies
    Star Wars (all 6)
    StarTrek TMP all the way up the line
    Stargate

Clerks
    Dogma
    Wedding Crashers

There are more, but I have found you cant go wrong with demons, Lord Satan, Vampires, werewolves or sexual hijinks.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Difficult question, since I have so many to choose from in my collection.

Definitely among the top ranked are LotR (all three), Star Trek First Contact (as well as the other Star Trek films, TMP gets special mention for the music), Ghost in the Shell, but all the movies I own are great. One I don't own that should definitely be in the top list (but will once the R2 DVD comes out next week) is Serenity.

From the series: R.O.D The TV, The Vision of Escaflowne, Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are top picks.

• User profile image
    Cider

My favourite movie of all time is the marvellous True Romance.  I can literally quote that movie line by line.  The best ensemble cast ever acting out the perfect script by Tarantino, directed by someone who can keep the essence of Tarantino whilst reigning in the excessives of a typical Tarantino script.  Utterly marvellous.

Others of note off the top of my head:  Bladerunner, The Straight Story, Dances with Wolves, Spirited Away and indeed any Miyazaki movie, Akira, Rat Race (an entirely dumb movie which I am the only person in the entire world who likes it), Band of Brothers (OK, a TV series, but a brilliant one), assorted Brat Pack movies such as Some Kind of Wonderful and Pretty in Pink and Breakfast Club, Irreversible (oh MAN, this is difficult watching), Seven, Fight Club, Sin City and loads more.

And kudos to the person who said Eyes Wide Shut because "there's like a ton of nekkid girls in it".

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Cider wrote:
    Bladerunner

I did Bladerunner in a truly peculiar order. First I played the computer game, which I loved (it had some shortcomings: for one thing it was too easy, and for another I didn't like the fact that some of the non-linear plot points were random, meaning you could play the game a dozen times taking completely different decisions, and still never see certain scenes, but other than that it was one of the greatest adventure games I've ever played), then I read the book, which was also good, then I saw the movie (theatrical cut), but I thought it missed the point of the book somewhat and compared to book and game was rather lacking. I later saw the director's cut (which I have on DVD) which is better, at least it doesn't have that stupid happy ending, but I still think the game and book are better.

The movie did make me appreciate the all the various nods to the movie that are in the game, like the fact that many locations in the game are straight from the movie, as are some characters, and small things like the fact that it always rains in the game, just like in the movie.

• User profile image
    Manip

Some good films (in no real order):

- Awakenings
    - Lord of the Flies
    - Rudy
    - Good Will Hunting
    - The Fog Of War (Documentary)
    - The Last Samurai
    - American History X
    - I Am Sam
    - Good Morning, Vietnam
    - The Karate Kid
    - Battle Royale
    - Rain Man
    - Braveheart
    - Seven
    - Titantic
    - Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story
    - The Matrix
    - The Blair Witch Project
    - American Pie
    - Lord of the Rings
    - Catch Me If You Can
    - Pirates of the caribbean
    - Top Gun
    - The Last Castle

et al

Some bad films:

- Antitrust
    - Recruit
    - Final Destination
    - Scary Movie
    - The Exorcist

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

Manip wrote:
    Some good films (in no real order):

- Awakenings
    - Lord of the Flies
    - Rudy
    - Good Will Hunting
    - The Fog Of War (Documentary)
    - The Last Samurai
    - American History X
    - I Am Sam
    - Good Morning, Vietnam
    - The Karate Kid
    - Battle Royale
    - Rain Man
    - Braveheart
    - Seven
    - Titantic
    - Homeless to Harvard: The Liz Murray Story
    - The Matrix
    - The Blair Witch Project
    - American Pie
    - Lord of the Rings
    - Catch Me If You Can
    - Pirates of the caribbean
    - Top Gun
    - The Last Castle

et al

Some bad films:

- Antitrust
    - Recruit
    - Final Destination
    - Scary Movie
    - The Exorcist

yes Matrix, i forget about it, good movie, but you put Recruit in the bad list, why?

• User profile image
    koorb

The Wizard of OZ
    Interview with a vampire
    Star Wars
    Akira
    Oldboy
    Das Boot
    October Sky
    The Cube
    Cube Zero
    Party Monster

• User profile image
    Manip

Ion Todirel wrote:
    you put Recruit in the bad list, why?

It arguably might go in the neutral list but what was good about that film? -- Was it action? No. Was it mystery? No. Was it a spy thriller? No. Did the characters have depth? No. Are there any surprises? No.

Apart from the fact it had a well known cast, and expensive special effects what makes it stand out from the other Hollywood swill that they create every year? You learn near next to nothing about the three main characters, and why they do what they do.

The Borne Identity was a similar film except with a much better storyline. I wouldn't call that a 'good' film either, but it isn't a bad one (the Bourne Supremacy was however a bad film).

• User profile image
    Cider

koorb wrote:
    Party Monster

Are you talking about the documentary "Party Monster" or the film of the same name that is based on the documentary?

I have yet to see the latter, as much out of fear of tarnishing the documentary, because the documentary is one of the most astonishing pieces of television I have ever seen - a beautiful, ugly, dangerous, astonishingly edgy vision of the Club Kids scene.  The footage of Alig and his Club Kids cohorts is amazing, totally amazing and its astonishing to see so much real footage of their life with uncensored footage of things like "cooking up" ketamine, etc.

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

suspense, good acting (Al Pacino, Colin Farrell), good movie.

do you liked Phone Boath?

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

Not the best films ever made, but I could watch these over and over.

Die Hard
    Weird Science
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
    Evolution
    Repli-Kate
    Down Periscope
    The Hunt for Red October
    Equilibrium
    Ghost Busters
    Abyss
    Who Dares Wins
    ID4
    Armageddon
    October Sky
    Top Gun
    American Pie
    Miss Congeniality
    Space Camp
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Aliens
    Terminator
    etc..

Damm, I watch to much TV..

Stephen.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

koorb wrote:

Das Boot

I'd forgotten that one!  Quality movie.

Stephen

• User profile image
    koorb

Cider wrote:
    koorb wrote: Party Monster

Are you talking about the documentary "Party Monster" or the film of the same name that is based on the documentary?

I have yet to see the latter, as much out of fear of tarnishing the documentary, because the documentary is one of the most astonishing pieces of television I have ever seen - a beautiful, ugly, dangerous, astonishingly edgy vision of the Club Kids scene.  The footage of Alig and his Club Kids cohorts is amazing, totally amazing and its astonishing to see so much real footage of their life with uncensored footage of things like "cooking up" ketamine, etc.

One of the best documentaries I've ever seen.

The film, not seen the documentary although I should probably put some effort into sourcing it because all I have hared is praise. Somepeople love the film, some don't. It has a hand cam style of filming, dialogue is good, you would probably get annoyed with the actors interpretation of the characters, but it's one of my favourites.

Incidentally Alig should be released from Jail this April I think. And James is currently writing for the WOW Report.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

... i remember (acceptable): The Day After Tomorrow, Mindhunters, 28 Days later (maybe not so good but somehow strange), Shrek and Buterfly Effect.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.