• User profile image
    Stephen

What does this mean?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Stephen wrote:
    What does this mean?

Means nothing....

Now when you see Vista listed on MSDN or connect....then you know it means something. If Microsoft was smart they'd release their build today...not the 21st....even if to give the illusion of being a day early.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Also if you know what either of these are then Kudos to you

Digital Memories and Test Program1

• User profile image
    Stephen

Cybermagellan wrote:

Hey the blog entry has had a edit Perplexed

They were not there when I signed up for 'hotpatching'

Now they are...

To take a guess at the MSN AdCenter I would think it is to do with the Microsoft Ad program that they are launching to compete against Google. 

Maybe Ad's on your Spaces Blog or in other 'live' sites and software. Hey I might even be able to embed them in my Kahuna mail hosted on Hotmail and sell some e-mail accounts and make some cash in advertising Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Khamul

Cybermagellan wrote:

Yeah, I saw them on Connect too. There's some information on Memex at Research (http://research.microsoft.com/research/pubs/view.aspx?pubid=1009). No idea what Test Program 1 is, probably something that isn't supposed to be there - it's happened with Connect.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Cybermagellan wrote:

Man, I've been waiting for TestProgram1 for MONTHS, I wish I was a beta tester...  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:

Man, I've been waiting for TestProgram1 for MONTHS, I wish I was a beta tester... 

Yes friends TestProgram1 can be yours for the low cost of...worse part is I could probably sell it on eBay for a fortune.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Hmm MSDN has a new file transfer program coming on Thursday

• User profile image
    z33driver

Will the CTP get triggered for availability at 12:01 AM or does it become available sometime later in the morning tomorrow?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

From MJF:

article wrote:

While Microsoft officials had told its core of elite beta testers to expect the next Windows Vista milestone on Tuesday, February 21, it now looks as Microsoft is now planning on delivering the code later in the week. Our sources are saying Vista Build 5308 will likely be christened the February Community Technology Preview (CTP). And it's now sounding like testers will be able to start playing with that build on Friday or Saturday. Microsoft, for its part, isn't talking publicly about its CTP plans, other than to maintain the next test build will be ready in this calendar quarter.

• User profile image
    daSmirnov

ChrisA wrote:
    I wonder how many people will buy Vista since Mac OS X and Linux are getting so popular.  Do we really need  another OS?

Popular?  Compared to Windows?Perplexed

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

ChrisA wrote:
    I wonder how many people will buy Vista since Mac OS X and Linux are getting so popular.  Do we really need  another OS?

Yes.  Microsoft is responsible for keeping their product up-to-date.  Would you still be happy with Windows 95 today?

• User profile image
    MasterPi

ChrisA wrote:

Popularity is one thing...

Like said before, people want to upgrade to the latest thing. That's only upgrading, not buying a whole different OS where virtually none of the existing software they have will work. (Granted, some software might not function properly in Vista)

Switching is not an option when an organization has invested tons of money with a MS setup.

Another OS?  Windows has been around for ages...

"How many people will buy Leopard.  Do we really need another OS?"

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

ChrisA wrote:
    I wonder how many people will buy Vista since Mac OS X and Linux are getting so popular.

They are?
  • User profile image
    jamie

Linux = Very developer = Very left brain:
    "The left side of the brain processes information in a linear manner. It processes from part to whole. It takes pieces, lines them up, and arranges them in a logical order; then it draws conclusions. "
    Budget: None

Mac = Very Artist = Very right brain
    "The right brain processes from whole to parts, holistically. It starts with the answer. It sees the big picture first, not the details."
    Budget: Whatever

Windows   = Middle brain ? Second Breakfast?  Wink

* actually - it may be more:

Linux = technology is raw - changable - mutable - free
    Mac  = technology is beautiful - elegant - unalterable - expensive
    Windows = yaya whatever - gimmie 300 bucks!

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

No, Windows is the unalterable one.  Apple's got a lot of stuff out there that's user-modifiable, whether it be kernel modifications through kexts (or even recompiling it, not that you'd want to) or Linux-style OSS programs through X11 or hacking on WebKit (Safari).

• User profile image
    MasterPi

jamie wrote:
    Linux = Very developer = Very left brain:
    "The left side of the brain processes information in a linear manner. It processes from part to whole. It takes pieces, lines them up, and arranges them in a logical order; then it draws conclusions. "
    Budget: None

Mac = Very Artist = Very right brain
    "The right brain processes from whole to parts, holistically. It starts with the answer. It sees the big picture first, not the details."
    Budget: Whatever

Windows   = Middle brain ? Second Breakfast? 

* actually - it may be more:

Linux = technology is raw - changable - mutable - free
    Mac  = technology is beautiful - elegant - unalterable - expensive
    Windows = yaya whatever - gimmie 300 bucks!

I think of it more like Goldilocks and the Three Bears.

Linux...too hot
    OSX...too cold
    Windows...just right Smiley

Maybe according to your chart, Windows isn't "middle brain" but more "both brained..or Whole Minded."

Ever read the book "A Whole New Mind"? It gives excellent insight on the success of thinking with both brains rather than one or the other.

• User profile image
    keithcombs

Stephen wrote:

Hey the blog entry has had a edit

Man, you guys are fast.  I made an edit, then deleted the edit but you still caught it.  Don't play with matches.  [6]

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.