Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Encryption

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

hey,

who knows some documentation about DES Algorithm? I wont to implement my own in C++++ (C#). ... or another easy to implement algorithm.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Gee, I'd love to help you but:

1. I know jack about DES
    2. I've never heard of C++++.
    3. I know some C# but don't know about encryption within it.
    4. The US has strict laws about exporting encryption technology above 40 bits.

• User profile image
    Maurits

(channeling Larry)
    Developers should NEVER IMPLEMENT THEIR OWN CRYPTO!!!
    (/channeling Larry)

Well, you could start with the standard... then maybe review some existing open-source implementations.

• User profile image
    billh
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Ion Todirel wrote:
    SlackmasterK wrote:

1. I know jack about DES

thanks, C# means C++ ++ , sharp symbol, left with 45o

There is a proper "degrees" symbol (°), please use it instead of a superscript "o".

Anyway, C# isn't anything like C++ other than that they're both OOP languages that use the C-Style syntax with brace punctuation, it's more comparable to Java.

Ion Todirel wrote:

Maurits wrote:(channeling Larry)
    (/channeling Larry)

Well, you could start with the standard... then maybe review some existing open-source implementations.

i am student, i have too ;(, i know about System.Security namespace, and how to encrypt/decrypt data using .NET, but i must do with my own implementation.

Typically you accept some kind of data in the form of a byte array, do something with this array to encrypt it and output it, optionally converting it to something like a Hex-encoded string.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    There is a proper "degrees" symbol (°), please use it instead of a superscript "o".

There is a proper sharp symbol too, ♯, yet everybody insists on using the number sign. Tongue Out

W3bbo wrote:
    Anyway, C# isn't anything like C++ other than that they're both OOP languages that use the C-Style syntax with brace punctuation, it's more comparable to Java.

Says the guy who doesn't know C++. Tongue Out Anyway, C# isn't much like Java either. It might have more in common with Java than with C++, but the commonalities are still mostly superficial.

EDIT: Also, some striking points: Java does not have structs, C# and C++ do. Java does not have namespaces (it does have a similar concept in packages), C# and C++ do. Java does not have enums (pre-1.5 anyway), C# and C++ do. Java does not allow by reference arguments, C# and C++ do. Java doesn't allow unsafe pointer usage, C# and C++ do. Java doesn't have unsigned types, C# and C++ do. Java doesn't allow operator overloading, C# and C++ do. The list goes on.

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel
  • User profile image
    Ion Todirel

SlackmasterK wrote:

1. I know jack about DES

thanks, C# means C++ ++ Smiley, sharp symbol, left with 45o

Maurits wrote:
    (channeling Larry)
    (/channeling Larry)

i am student, i have too ;(, i know about System.Security namespace, and how to encrypt/decrypt data using .NET, but i must do with my own implementation.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

Ion Todirel wrote:
    hey,

who knows some documentation about DES Algorithm? I wont to implement my own in C++++ (C#). ... or another easy to implement algorithm.

In C#, use the System.Security.Cryptography.DESCryptoServiceProvider class. For an algorithm that offers longer key lengths, consider the System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManaged class. (Rijndael is also known as AES).

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Mike Dimmick wrote:
    Ion Todirel wrote: hey,

In C#, use the System.Security.Cryptography.DESCryptoServiceProvider class. For an algorithm that offers longer key lengths, consider the System.Security.Cryptography.RijndaelManaged class. (Rijndael is also known as AES).

If you had actually read the thread, you would have seen he is familiary with the System.Security.Cryptography namespace, but has to write his own because he's a student (probably it's (part of) an assignment). Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

i need to write my own because i need to: is part of home work Smiley.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.