Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Office12 Document Format is Not an Open File Format

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    leighsword

    I don't know what's the 'Open' really meaning, but I can list my operation steps:
    1. Open Word12, typing some words, such as 'Hello Word12".
    2. Save it as "Hello.docx'.
    3. change the extended file name as 'Hello.zip'.
    4. extract it.
    5. open the 'document.xml', and find 'Hello Word12', and modify it as 'My Word2007', then save it.
    6. repackage the whole folder as Hello1.zip.
    7. rename Hello1.zip to Hello1.docx.
    8. double click it
    You'll get an error message, 'unrecognize file format'.

  • User profile image
    Harlequin

    Maybe you saved the Xml file with some encoding?

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    Harlequin wrote:
    Maybe you saved the Xml file with some encoding?

    I remebered I used the legendary 'notepad' to modify and save the Xml file, so I don't think there such an encoding problem.

  • User profile image
    PaoloM

    leighsword wrote:
    Harlequin wrote: Maybe you saved the Xml file with some encoding?

    I remebered I used the legendary 'notepad' to modify and save the Xml file, so I don't think there such an encoding problem.

    That's exactly why.

  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    leighsword wrote:
    I don't know what's the 'Open' really meaning, but I can list my operation steps:
    1. Open Word12, typing some words, such as 'Hello Word12".
    2. Save it as "Hello.docx'.
    3. change the extended file name as 'Hello.zip'.
    4. extract it.
    5. open the 'document.xml', and find 'Hello Word12', and modify it as 'My Word2007', then save it.
    6. repackage the whole folder as Hello1.zip.
    7. rename Hello1.zip to Hello1.docx.
    8. double click it
    You'll get an error message, 'unrecognize file format'.



    Nope, sorry. I just did it successfully - Hello World changed to Hello Channel9 through Notepad.

    Considering this is:
    1) A beta release,
    2) A very complex format, and
    3) An open standard that Microsoft has been pushing, publishing, going to court over and basing their flagship productivity suite on:

    which do you think is more likely:
    1) Microsoft decided to go against all their published specs and make the format different than what everyone knows, attempting to prevent extensibility to their product and reduce its business value, or
    2) You made a mistake?

  • User profile image
    Manip

    Is there a way for someone without the beta to test this out? I have a suspicion that it could be in the process of re-compressing or saving the file rather than the actual content.

  • User profile image
    blowdart

    Manip wrote:
    Is there a way for someone without the beta to test this out? I have a suspicion that it could be in the process of re-compressing or saving the file rather than the actual content.



    You mean aside from doing what leigh does and pirating Office off bit torrent, then complaining when it doesn't work?

  • User profile image
    Manip

    blowdart wrote:
    You mean aside from doing what leigh does and pirating Office off bit torrent, then complaining when it doesn't work?


    Yes, aside from BitTorrent.

  • User profile image
    leighsword

    Yggdrasil wrote:
    leighsword wrote:I don't know what's the 'Open' really meaning, but I can list my operation steps:
    1. Open Word12, typing some words, such as 'Hello Word12".
    2. Save it as "Hello.docx'.
    3. change the extended file name as 'Hello.zip'.
    4. extract it.
    5. open the 'document.xml', and find 'Hello Word12', and modify it as 'My Word2007', then save it.
    6. repackage the whole folder as Hello1.zip.
    7. rename Hello1.zip to Hello1.docx.
    8. double click it
    You'll get an error message, 'unrecognize file format'.



    Nope, sorry. I just did it successfully - Hello World changed to Hello Channel9 through Notepad.

    Considering this is:
    1) A beta release,
    2) A very complex format, and
    3) An open standard that Microsoft has been pushing, publishing, going to court over and basing their flagship productivity suite on:

    which do you think is more likely:
    1) Microsoft decided to go against all their published specs and make the format different than what everyone knows, attempting to prevent extensibility to their product and reduce its business value, or
    2) You made a mistake?


    My version of Office12 is Beta 1, but the Word12 displayed 'PreBeta' on the Splash Window, the WinRAR 3.3 is the tool for package, but the Compress file format is the Zip, my OS is the WinXP Chinese Edition with SP2.
    I definetly vote option 1) Microsoft...


  • User profile image
    Yggdrasil

    leighsword wrote:
    My version of Office12 is Beta 1, but the Word12 displayed 'PreBeta' on the Splash Window, the WinRAR 3.3 is the tool for package, but the Compress file format is the Zip, my OS is the WinXP Chinese Edition with SP2.
    I definetly vote option 1) Microsoft...


    *sigh*

    You're using a pirated copy of Office that isn't even Beta-1 quality, that apparently wasn't even released to the general public. You find something that may be a bug (and may be a user-error, since there are a lot of possible mishaps) and draw the conclusion that the standards published officially are lies.

    Really, I can't follow the train of thought that leads to your conclusions.

  • User profile image
    Wells

    You probably zipped it up using the non-portable winzip format or something.

  • User profile image
    Aptly Goodie

    PaoloM wrote:
    leighsword wrote:
    I remebered I used the legendary 'notepad' to modify and save the Xml file, so I don't think there such an encoding problem.

    That's exactly why.

    I think that's why too. Remember that XML headers define the encoding (usually UTF-8), so the parser will switch to different decoding schemes regardless of what the file originally is. Notepad can save in UTF-8 format, but on my English machine it saves as ASCII by default. See what your Notepad saved it as.

    Office can say "XML file appears to be corrupted" but a standard user will not know what that is all about. ("I'm opening a Word file! What XML file!?!")

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.