Coffeehouse Thread

78 posts

Worst Microsoft Product?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • AndyC

ChrisA wrote:

You've obviously never used a Mac.  Once you go Mac, you dont go back.

How true. I've used a Mac and I'd never want to go back to it... Tongue Out

• ScanIAm

VSS sucks hairy balls, but here's why:

If I create a new project, for some reason, VSS wants to call it <my_project>.root.

I know that might have made someone happy when they tested it out, but seriously, I don't want to add .root to the end of my project. 

What I do want to do, however, is save a project into VSS and I want to do it in a way that is obvious.  I've used vss for almost 9 years now, and I've yet to see a new developer add a new project into VSS correctly.  In most cases, they create <project>/<project>/code. Meanwhile, the code they should be working with is in <project>/<stuff>.

In the worst case, the "keep the knowledge in the company" crowd worse cases, super retarded "old guy techs" tend to accidentally recreate a project underneath the current project.  We end up with <project>/<project>/<project>/<stuff>. 

I'll give you 2 guesses who ends up fixing it (and the first guess doesn't count).

I don't want to badmouth the geriatric crowd, but I call them as they happen.

• nektar

I worst products are the online services like .NET Passport, .NET Alerts and MSN.com. The MSN sites are inconsistent, full of clutter and thus too difficult to use. They do not even offer what users really need and until recently were seldom update. MSN Groups anyone? MSN Groups are still the way they were back in 2000 and earlier. .NET Alerts although a good idea was not executed correctly. It was not build having interoperability in mind and standards and as a result RSS took of and .NET Alerts are forgotten. What about Passport? Who though of these services and who executed them? If it was not for Google they would have been even worse and without any updates.
    A second worst product should be Windows Media Player. Too cluttered and it does not support all media formats. It has an inaccessible interface, is too heavy and does not offer any compelling feature.
    A third worst product is Outlook Express. Seldom updated, has no spam filtering and is overtaken by open source software, which for a company like Microsoft should have been a shame.

• Shining Arcanine

What was Microsoft Bob? I read that its interface made users stupider as time progressed but Bill Gates did not punish the product manager because the product manager was his wife.

• jamie

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    What was Microsoft Bob? I read that its interface made users stupider as time progressed but Bill Gates did not punish the product manager because the product manager was his wife.

microsoft bob was the first social interface.  it was ahead of its time. It ended up being a great UI for kids

just as Magical Mystery Tour was panned when it came out on boxing day in the UK - it is revered as an important departure/experiment now

hail bob

id love to see this redone using aero...  true themeing environments

• harumscarum

Manip wrote:
    What is the worst Microsoft product or service you ever owned?

WMP. It is not just bad but it continually gets worse with each release. The WMP team needs to take a page from the developer division and actually listen to customer feedback.

A media player should be the simplest piece of software on the desktop.

Manip wrote:

And on a slightly more up-beat note, what Microsoft product far exceeded your expectations?

.net 1.1 did and continues to do so. It seems that with each project the client wants to do something new and if you dig deep enough you can find it in the framework. It has really made me look like a super geek stud over the last year.

Manip wrote:

And lastly, what is, in your opinion, the highest quality Microsoft product that does what it said it would do?

Windows Server 2003.

• FluffyDevil​Bunny

Clippy and Visual Source Safe (though not really a MS product)

Smiley

• Minh

Is this a sign that MS didn't really get the idea of graphical objects?

You can't give people an object, then obscure it entirely with text.

jamie wrote:

hail bob

Hale-Bopp?

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Bob didn't always obscure the images with text:

• blowdart

ChrisA wrote:
    The worst Microsoft products are Microsoft Java, Visual Foxpro, perfect example no one uses Visual Foxpro.  The only thing I see that Microsoft does right is its development tools.  All the Windows operating systems are not that great.  IE is perhaps the worst product eve developed.

The troll is back. It's funny, Sun used to use Microsoft's JVM as proof that java wasn't slow, so Sun liked it for quite a while.

• Jawwad

Worst product: Undoubtedly Win ME! There are some good wasted efforts in the form of ActiveX Documents and RDO as well.
    For me, .NET (CLR) is the best thing Microsoft has given to this world.

• NeoTOM

AndyC wrote:
    ChrisA wrote:

You've obviously never used a Mac.  Once you go Mac, you dont go back.

How true. I've used a Mac and I'd never want to go back to it...

I used a Mac for 5 years until I was able to get Windows. If you didn't pick up on it, I'm currently using Windows XP.

• JoshRoss

To reduce start time of the Management Studio put a -nosplash at the end of the shortcut.  I do like the use of filters in different places in the new management studio.

If anyone knows how to comment out a selection like the old query analyer i.e. (ctrl+shift+c) let me know.

• lars

Windows 3.11. Uuuhhhhew.

• Cider

John Galt wrote:
    Worst: Windows Installer. All versions.

Very badly thought out in the first place, and getting more and more arcaine and irrelivent as time goes by. This thing is getting progressively worse, not better.

Excuse me.  I can't let this one pass.

Microsoft Installer is not only the best installer technology that has been created, it is getting more and more relevant.  Indeed, as we hit Vista, MSI is extending itself to the platform with less issue than probably any technology involved in Vista.  I've seen Microsoft Installer used in ways you could not even understand and the only way that is possible is because of the flexibility and extensibililty of the format.

Away with comments like this.  Bloody developer types!

• Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Cider wrote:
    John Galt wrote:Worst: Windows Installer. All versions.

Very badly thought out in the first place, and getting more and more arcaine and irrelivent as time goes by. This thing is getting progressively worse, not better.

Microsoft Installer is not only the best installer technology that has been created, it is getting more and more relevant.  Indeed, as we hit Vista, MSI is extending itself to the platform with less issue than probably any technology involved in Vista.  I've seen Microsoft Installer used in ways you could not even understand and the only way that is possible is because of the flexibility and extensibililty of the format.

Yes, as far as installation goes, MSI couldn't go smoother.  And remember how horrible uninstallation was back in the Windows 3.1/Windows 95 days?

• dotnetjunkie

W3bbo wrote:

there's a 65535 row limitation

Haven't you installed the Office 12 beta?
    That limitation is NO LONGER there !!!

• irascian

Cider wrote:
    John Galt wrote: Worst: Windows Installer. All versions.

For me the issue isn't Windows Installer it's Visual Studio's support for Windows Installer. Hacking tables and faffing around with Orca is ridiculous in this day and age. Silly limitations that aren't there in the underlying database structure make it a pain in the backside to use. Want introductory text on a dialog box that is more than three lines long? Sorry not unless you pay a small fortune for one of two "rival" products. Want more than 12 text boxes on your input forms? Sorry can't be done without writing hacky popup Windows forms. This is pretty basic stuff.

There is a reason why so many customers just use "copy the files to deploy" or have installation programs that aren't customised in any professional way. And that reason is NOT because this is one of the best technologies ever released!

The learning curve for the product is ridiculous and there's a hopeless shortage of good books/documentation for the product other than the very basic "Pass your MCAD/MCSD" tutorial stuff that's out there.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.