Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Windows Vista Versions - Should I be upset now or should I wait for pricing information?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

I have Windows Media Center Edition 2005, which is a superset of Windows XP Professional, which is a superset of Windows XP Home, which is a superset of Windows XP Starter Edition. Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is very affordably priced (you can get it for around $125), and I really like it because it has Windows XP Professional's Remote Desktop and Dual Processor support.

In Windows Vista, Windows Home Premium is analogous to Windows Media Center Edition 2005, except that Windows XP Professional's features have been stripped out and Windows Media Center Edition is sitting on top of Windows XP Home's feature set. That means that I cannot use Windows Remote Desktop from my laptop when I want to combine my laptop's portability with my desktop's processing power and that I no longer have the option of running a dual processor PC. Windows Ultimate is the only thing in Windows Vista that gives me this feature set, and since it will be marketed as an ultimate product, it will be super expensive.

So my question is, should I be upset now or should I wait for pricing information?

• User profile image
    DMassy

I'd advise you to a) wait for an official announcement and b) wait for pricing before jumping to any conclusions.

I have no idea what the different skus are likely to be or what the pricing is. However I know from experience that it is a mistake to believe what you read on the web unless you are very sure of the source.Smiley

Thanks
    -Dave

• User profile image
    Manip

DMassy wrote:

I'd advise you to a) wait for an official announcement and b) wait for pricing before jumping to any conclusions.

I have no idea what the different skus are likely to be or what the pricing is. However I know from experience that it is a mistake to believe what you read on the web unless you are very sure of the source.

Thanks
    -Dave

Most of us had a nice look at a Windows help site that lists off all the versions... Also in the passed web-sites have been right on the ball with release information (Apple, Microsoft, et al). In fact it has even be revealed on several occasions that Microsoft marketing intentionally leaks information so it makes a bigger splash than posting it as a News Item on the site.

Anyway this information (Home, Home Premium, Ult') was leaked first and then months later appears on a help page accidentally left online? Pretty unlucky time Microsoft is having, I mean re-posting identical information to fictional leaked information, right, how insanely coincidental and unlucky is that?! Wink

As an added bonus, if people *REALLY* hate the suggested versions (And they are suggestions) Microsoft can simply change them and say "Don't rely on unconfirmed information." It's win win.

• User profile image
    Wil

Oh go ahead, be upset now!  If enough people join you in making their feelings known ahead of time, the marketing plan will change before the official release.  MS wants to sell a lot of these things, and if enough customers say that the new Media Center release doesn't fit their needs so well as the current XP version does, then that reaction will certainly have an impact on what finally gets bundled into the new Media Center.

Personally, I was most afraid that Longhorn (as it was then) would be released under a "subscription" model, where you would pay monthly (or quarterly, or annually) to keep it running, so that MS would get a continuing stream of revenue.  After all, they have been hyping "software as a service" for a long time now.  Fortunately, "Hailstorm" crashed and burned, so I think they may be a little less gung-ho over that model now, and so they are just easing into it with all these "Live" versions of everything.  So while MS still has its ear to the ground, trying to judge what the market will or will not bear, it's a good time to let them know what we will and will not buy!

• User profile image
    joem83

I don't want to get anyone upset but Windows Media Center 2005 is not a superset of XP Pro.  it is a superset of XP Home with features from XP Pro.

Shining Arcanine wrote:

I have Windows Media Center Edition 2005, which is a superset of Windows XP Professional, which is a superset of Windows XP Home, which is a superset of Windows XP Starter Edition. Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is very affordably priced (you can get it for around $125), and I really like it because it has Windows XP Professional's Remote Desktop and Dual Processor support.

In Windows Vista, Windows Home Premium is analogous to Windows Media Center Edition 2005, except that Windows XP Professional's features have been stripped out and Windows Media Center Edition is sitting on top of Windows XP Home's feature set. That means that I cannot use Windows Remote Desktop from my laptop when I want to combine my laptop's portability with my desktop's processing power and that I no longer have the option of running a dual processor PC. Windows Ultimate is the only thing in Windows Vista that gives me this feature set, and since it will be marketed as an ultimate product, it will be super expensive.

So my question is, should I be upset now or should I wait for pricing information?

• User profile image
    NeoTOM

Great. I was hoping for a UNIFIED version of Vista with NONE of the Home/Pro nonsense that mucked up Windows XP. And what do I get? NINE DIFFERENT SUBSETS.

• User profile image
    z33driver

It is a superset of XP Pro.  You can install IIS et. al.  It is XP Pro w/ an additional CDROM of Media Center CAB files.

joem83 wrote:
    I don't want to get anyone upset but Windows Media Center 2005 is not a superset of XP Pro.  it is a superset of XP Home with features from XP Pro.

Shining Arcanine wrote:http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_editions.asp

• User profile image
    blowdart

z33driver wrote:
    It is a superset of XP Pro.  You can install IIS et. al.  It is XP Pro w/ an additional CDROM of Media Center CAB files.

I thought you couldn't join domains with Media Center

• User profile image
    z33driver

blowdart wrote:
    z33driver wrote:It is a superset of XP Pro.  You can install IIS et. al.  It is XP Pro w/ an additional CDROM of Media Center CAB files.

I thought you couldn't join domains with Media Center
    I think you are right, I just right-clicked on My Computer, the optin is there but it is greyed out.

• User profile image
    MasterPi

Would be nice if you could join a domain in MCE.  Think of all the possiblities being able to access your media in MCE via your domain account.

• User profile image
    joem83

I just asked a rep, and even a friend that works in retail and takes MSFT relail training, there is a video they watched that states:
    "Windows XP Media Center 2005 is based off of the Windows XP Home Edition".  That is an exact quote from the video and the rep.

z33driver wrote:

• User profile image
    dentaku

I'd still rather just have one version. It simplifies the product and doesn't make consumers feel like they're missing out on something because they don't have the Ultimate version.

All you need is an OS for servers that just sit there and do their job almost unatended and an OS for computers that actual people will use.
    People will like that and MS has to remember that how people "feel" about a product is the most powerful marketing tool they have.

• User profile image
    RandyRants

Shining Arcanine wrote:

Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is very affordably priced (you can get it for around $125)

Um, if I remember correctly you can't buy MCE via retail - isn't it only available from an OEM with a new PC?  Well, aside from MSDN Subscriptions for development usage... I know it was originally - pretty sure it is now.

Anyway, MCE is basically Pro, but the domain support is disabled.  If you install the MSDN ISO without an MCE key, you get Pro (not Home). 

As to Vista, it's all speculation at this point.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

RandyRants wrote:

Um, if I remember correctly you can't buy MCE via retail - isn't it only available from an OEM with a new PC?

Anyway, MCE is basically Pro, but the domain support is disabled.  If you install the MSDN ISO without an MCE key, you get Pro (not Home). 

As to Vista, it's all speculation at this point.

I have MCE 2005 at work it is pro and during a section of the installation it just ask you to put CD2 in.

• User profile image
    LinWin​Overlord

Shining Arcanine wrote:

I suggest you get enough people who want it to post here, then Microsoft will just change it and say not to believe the older info.... I personally use the RDP function of my MCE nearly every day, since I have to go to school, I no longer need to carry a floppy (the school computers are so old, they do not even have USB ports!)... I just use Remote Desktop Web Connection and voila! Windows MCE on a Pentium 90MHz! (yes, my school is horrible). In fact, the two major things I do on my MCE is schoolwork (thru RDP or locally) and eHome stuff.... Anyone who loves MCE's advanced capabilities should say so.... Here.... And hopefully the Vista team looks at it at some point and changes their minds about the SKUs (or if they do not control that, they persuade the SKU makers to do so).... I wonder if the Vista team even looks here....

• User profile image
    Maurits

> Great. I was hoping for a UNIFIED version of Vista with NONE of the Home/Pro nonsense that mucked up Windows XP

I, on the other hand, was hoping for per-feature pricing.  Without having to reinstall the OS.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

joem83 wrote:
    I just asked a rep, and even a friend that works in retail and takes MSFT relail training, there is a video they watched that states:
    "Windows XP Media Center 2005 is based off of the Windows XP Home Edition".  That is an exact quote from the video and the rep.

Well, the video and the rep are wrong. It happens.

• User profile image
    z33driver

What I would like is simply if I buy the Ultimate Edition, that it will let me reinstall as much as I need to as I tinker with my play PC.  Relaxed re-activation algorithms or something along those lines.  I'd rather pay $1k and know I can reinstall to my hearts content when I try the latest components without having to deal with the reactivation hassle.  I have yet to have a problem with this with XP, but I'd rather pay the money and know I won't have to deal with it at all.

And Phodeo would be cool too please.  I haven't seen a screenshot showing it is part of the latest Vista CTP.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.