Coffeehouse Thread

9 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Microsoft Origami revealed ahead of schedule

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Andrei P

Apparently the media company that created a clip showing off the Origami project, accidentaly posted it on their portfolio: http://www.geekpedia.com/news94_Microsofts-Origami-revealed.html

• User profile image
    Simo

So... it's mini tablet PC.

Possibly with a bit more of a single identity than the 100 generic machines you usually find Windows on.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

This looks more like a cross between an oversized PocketPC and a PMC, it's far too bulky to use as a normal "tablet" PC.

My money says this thing ends up as a flop, the average consumer has no need for this device, yet I can see some limited use by "OMG Must have it!"-exec types, but the lack of integrated keyboard has already sealed its fate. (Unless, that is, the platform's handwriting recognition has improved dramatically in the space of a year (Since TPC2005), which I doubt)

• User profile image
    Andrei P

I always found the screen on my PPC to be too small, since most of the time I use it for reading books, and browsing, rather than managing tasks. Origami might be a better fit.

• User profile image
    Stephen

W3bbo wrote:
    This looks more like a cross between an oversized PocketPC and a PMC, it's far too bulky to use as a normal "tablet" PC.

My money says this thing ends up as a flop, the average consumer has no need for this device, yet I can see some limited use by "OMG Must have it!"-exec types, but the lack of integrated keyboard has already sealed its fate. (Unless, that is, the platform's handwriting recognition has improved dramatically in the space of a year (Since TPC2005), which I doubt)

A tablet PC is too large for me, a Pocket PC is too small. I will be one that puts a hand up out for one of these. I really need want something I can use as a scribble pad and remote control type unit.

'Next Song, Light Switch, Sprinkler System, Diary'

A 'controller' of sorts for many things aswell as a A5'ish notepad. The mobiles used were Motorola as per Steve Jobs at Mobile Expo earlier, so a given would be Bluetooth.

Or could I call it a device 'aggregator'

• User profile image
    Simo

W3bbo wrote:

My money says this thing ends up as a flop, the average consumer has no need for this device, yet I can see some limited use by "OMG Must have it!"-exec types, but the lack of integrated keyboard has already sealed its fate.

Sticking one of these http://www.vkb.co.il/1.jpg in it, might help.

• User profile image
    irascian

W3bbo wrote:

Agreed. This looks about the same size as the ultraportables like my Fujitsu which lacks tablet functionality but has decent memory, hard disk, keyboard, DVD writer, screen resolution etc. I was hoping for something with the screen res of 800x600 but in a pocket-sized package. This doesn't look to be it and it will be interesting to see what the claimed battery life is.

• User profile image
    fdezjose

Play Halo on it!

• User profile image
    eddwo

Yay, looks cool.
    I guess the closest thing to this at the moment is the Nokia 770.

But if this Origami device can run OneNote 2007 etc as well it'll be really awesome for use at Uni.

From the looks of the video it has both WiFi and Bluetooth. A nice fullscreen UI for media, and runs Windows applications.

I want one!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.