Coffeehouse Thread

27 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Windows Live Local, offers street-side level imagery

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Zeo

I saw this over on bink.

I'd love to have c9 interview the virtual earth team again and talk with them about this.

Cool Stuff!

Now the question is, can Google copy this concept or does Microsoft have the right IP protections?

Also think about the database issue surrounding this. If Microsoft is going to roll this out for say 2 cities.....the number of photos is huge and the database scale issues are gigantic....even for a small subsection of 1 city.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Now this is the sort of innovation I like to see from MS.

• User profile image
    Angus

Is this prooved? It is just, I don't think it is really "practical"; it would take too long to get the pictures, also, the car doesn't look very "professional". It seems to be modelled on some sort of race car, I doubt that Microsoft, or any self-respecting company would make the car look like that. I could be wrong however.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    aDotNet

Wow! That's very cool.

• User profile image
    Stephen

The site is rumoured to be live 'midday' http://preview.local.live.com/" target="_blank">http://preview.local.live.com

• User profile image
    Zeo

Angus wrote:
    the car doesn't look very "professional". It seems to be modelled on some sort of race car, I doubt that Microsoft, or any self-respecting company would make the car look like that. I could be wrong however.

Did you miss the "race car" drop down option. You can choose from different car views: Race Car, SUV, Bus, etc.

And again....it's BETA.

• User profile image
    kriskdf

This is a preview from Microsoft.  It may look totally different when this ships.  The car view is pretty cool.  I think they've done a much better job with the UI than others who have implemented a street side view (in my opinion).

• User profile image
    bushidocoder

I haven't been able to get into the preview yet, but it looks like they're doing the same types of streetside images that A9 was fooling around with last year.  A9's weren't linked into a decent map, though.

Very excited to see this type of feature added to Virtual Earth.

• User profile image
    sbc

Not that appealing to me. While some like heavy use of graphics and Flash etc, I prefer something that loads quickly and is light on graphics. I think people are trying to hard to make websites look and behave like client applications.

Build just enough for most users, and allow extensibility - don't add features that only a few power users will want, it only makes the application slower and more complicated.

KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) - Google does exactly that, which is what makes it appealing to many. Plus, I want it to load quickly. Live.com / Start.com come close, but they are slower than Google's personalised home page - even on broadband. Perhaps the reason for that is Google has a bigger infrastructure (which is only a guess - lots of cheap servers, highly optimised, compared with (I assume), fewer Windows based higher spec servers) and a dark fibre network that they can take advantage of.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

sbc wrote:
    Not that appealing to me. While some like heavy use of graphics and Flash etc, I prefer something that loads quickly and is light on graphics.

It's a map site. How do you do a map site in text?
    sbc wrote:
    KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) - Google does exactly that, which is what makes it appealing to many. Plus, I want it to load quickly. Live.com / Start.com come close, but they are slower than Google's personalised home page - even on broadband.

Not from here. I guess it's a location thing...
    sbc wrote:
    Perhaps the reason for that is Google has a bigger infrastructure (which is only a guess - lots of cheap servers, highly optimised, compared with (I assume), fewer Windows based higher spec servers) and a dark fibre network that they can take advantage of.

Or they may just have a lot less traffic? I'm not talking Google search, but overall google.com vs microsoft.com traffic.

• User profile image
    sbc

PaoloM wrote:
    sbc wrote:Not that appealing to me. While some like heavy use of graphics and Flash etc, I prefer something that loads quickly and is light on graphics.

It's a map site. How do you do a map site in text?

ASCII art Wink

This was more a comment on new sites in general, not targetted at map sites (as you need images to show the roads etc). However, I think satellite images and 'street side imagery' is just eye candy that is of no practical purpose. Although street imagery may be useful if it is kept up to date (and if you happen to live in Seattle or a big city) - and if it could be somehow integrated into Windscreens (i.e. 'virtual signposts' giving directions).

How does a satellite image help you when planning a route (unless you actually have a flying car and see the streets below you)?

Maybe I'm just cynical because I don't get all those high resolutions images where I am (and probably won't for some time). Sad
    PaoloM wrote:

sbc wrote:KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid) - Google does exactly that, which is what makes it appealing to many. Plus, I want it to load quickly. Live.com / Start.com come close, but they are slower than Google's personalised home page - even on broadband.

Not from here. I guess it's a location thing...

Most likely. Is there a Live Local for the UK? I get a bit fed up with America getting all the new stuff before the UK (that's what happens when Google and Microsoft are American).
    PaoloM wrote:

sbc wrote:Perhaps the reason for that is Google has a bigger infrastructure (which is only a guess - lots of cheap servers, highly optimised, compared with (I assume), fewer Windows based higher spec servers) and a dark fibre network that they can take advantage of.

Or they may just have a lot less traffic? I'm not talking Google search, but overall google.com vs microsoft.com traffic.

Unless Google and Microsoft releases stats on traffic we will never know. A fairer comparison would be google.com vs msn.com (or live.com) - as Microsoft do things in more areas than Google (there is no Google OS or Office Suite), so they would probably get more overall.

• User profile image
    Angus

Zeo wrote:
    Angus wrote: the car doesn't look very "professional". It seems to be modelled on some sort of race car, I doubt that Microsoft, or any self-respecting company would make the car look like that. I could be wrong however.

Did you miss the "race car" drop down option. You can choose from different car views: Race Car, SUV, Bus, etc.

And again....it's BETA.

Yeah, I missed that bit. Tongue Out

Thanks

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Michael Griffiths

Somewhat cool.

But how about FOCUSIN ON THE BASICS?

Virtual Earth (Live Local) is better than Google Local. Easier navigation, etc. However, Google Local has DRAMATICALLY better satellite imagery than Virtual Earth.

Ergo, I use - and recommend - Google Local, where's I'd really prefer to use Virtual Earth. But until the basic imagery improves, it's not useful.

• User profile image
    billh

Do you know who might like this type of setup? Women.  Why? Because they usually tend to navigate via landmarks. 

I could see where this would be very useful if you are travelling to a new city or are unfamiliar with the area you are travelling into.

Now take this technology, and put it in your car (either on a laptop or some type of screen in your dashboard), and it will be very innovative and USEFUL.

• User profile image
    arunpv

Awesome...Awesome...

I tried the Preview (Race car) really really cooooool..............

watch this Googs....

this is what i call innovation......Big Smile

• User profile image
    Charles
  • User profile image
    Cider

This is truly spectacular stuff.

I can't tell you how many times I've used the likes of GTA or Midtown Madness and just had fun just driving around and always thought the ultimate simulator would be a piece of software that lets you drive huge distances in a car and able to check out the scenery.  This is a good step in that direction.

In many ways, this is better than these top-down views such as Google Maps/Virtual Earth because it is easier to get a feel of a cityspace when you are at the level where you could experience it in reality.  Something like this would be awesome if used by the likes of a Tourist Information company to give prospective visitors to cities an idea of what the city is like.

• User profile image
    Stephen

Oh this is 'sweet'

Hook me up with some other players and we will have a street race.

This reminds me of all the old car games gone by. On STEROIDS though. Tongue Out

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.