Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Getting Real book from 37signals

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • z33driver

I just bought the Getting Real ebook from 37signals.  They have a bunch of web-based products like Basecamp and created the Ruby on Rails framework.

I'm only as far as the foreword by Sanaz Ahari from the Start.com team.  The book seems pretty interesting though.

It essentially describes various Agile development ideas and how they were able to apply them to build some great apps that support lots of users (they have 400,000 customers or so) with a small team (7 people).  I'm hoping to glean some ideas for my microISV concept I'm tossing around.

I'll post an update with my thoughts once I finish reading the book.

• AdamKinney

And a link for those interested: Getting Real book

• amotif

z33driver wrote:

Please do!

• ScanIAm

amotif wrote:
    z33driver wrote:

Please do!

So far it makes sense.

• Stephen

I like what the freebie chapters had to say.

One ultimite UI that will change the world coming up. Tongue Out

• eagle

They have a great blog, Jason Fried will be speaking at SXSW.

• gekkokid

hi, where i purchase the ebook or book from? aint on amazon

• gekkokid

k just relised it - i should have googled hehe

• mochant

We just bought a site license - $49 (as opposed to $19 for a single copy) gives you permission to distribute ten copies throughtout your organization. My web team and I are reading it right now and the interaction designers in our development group will be too.

It's pretty typical 37Signals stuff but very well put together - build less better, start with the UI, approach things modularly, ship frequent incremental releases, etc.

• ScanIAm

mochant wrote:
    We just bought a site license - $49 (as opposed to $19 for a single copy) gives you permission to distribute ten copies throughtout your organization. My web team and I are reading it right now and the interaction designers in our development group will be too.

It's pretty typical 37Signals stuff but very well put together - build less better, start with the UI, approach things modularly, ship frequent incremental releases, etc.

Yeah, that kind of sums it up so far for me as well (I've only read about half).  I like what they have to say, but they quote Steve Jobs quite a bit. 

Also, they are reaching out to the Commercial audience.  You have to be Halliburton to get away with writing software for the gov't without massive amounts of pre-design.  37Signals is selling to small groups of people (or individuals).  Governments are huge committees, so they tend to like software designed by huge committees.  I'm not saying they are wrong, but I am saying that it just wouldn't fly in state or federal agencies.

So, who has some good, new software ideas?  I'm about as uncreative as possible when it comes to new ideas, but I like reading these kinds of books for the motivation Smiley

• z33driver

ScanIAm wrote:
    So, who has some good, new software ideas?  I'm about as uncreative as possible when it comes to new ideas, but I like reading these kinds of books for the motivation
    Heh, this is my problem too.... Although lately I've come up with a couple of good ideas.  The problem for me is the good ideas tend to pop up when I'm not thinking about it, like driving down the highway in my car or something...and then I later forget about it!

So far I like some of what they have to say in the book, for $19 its worth it, but I also think that a lot of their ideas would never fly in a real corporate development environment.  They are very much promoting an "off the cuff" or "shoot from the hip" development style.  But there are ways to properly document even Agile methodologies without getting bogged down in paperwork...  There's a nifty tool at http://www.versionone.net, they offer their 5 user version for free.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.