Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

An Open Letter to Mr. Gates

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    bshankle

Mr. Gates,

At the risk of sounding patronizing, I just wanted to thank you for helping create the industry that feeds me. I know you get a lot of negative comments from anti-MS folks, but the reality for me is this: I wouldn't have the high standard of living that I have today without your efforts and the hard work of the smart people you surround yourself with. So thanks from me and my family to you and yours!

I like Channel 9, it's great! (so please don't shut it down). It makes me feel like I'm part of something important, even if it's just writing a bit here and there on a forum. I feel like I can just get things off my chest and I don't feel censored. Heck I even feel like you may actually get this message!

I know your time is valuable, so I'll close. Please send word via one of the Crew if you're lurking and tell us what you think of Channel 9.

Again, thanks.

Sincerely,
    E. Bruce Shankle III (bshankle1216@nc.rr.com)
    Raleigh, NC

• User profile image
    Eurasian

Bruce, however good your intent, it borders on silly to pat Bill on the back. It is his fiduciary duty to shareholders to do his job and do it well. The channel 9 team does deserve kudos; however, your letter is simply too sappy and makes my stomach queasy. It is scary to see someone worship Bill like a golden deity. If you are a rock star technologist, you will do well financially with or without MSFT.

• User profile image
    DanielWang

马屁精嘛。靠!

• User profile image
    bshankle

Yes, I know it was sappy, but I had some emotions. If I'm being honest, we all do from time to time.

That's one of the great things about Chanel 9, the fact that I can post something that other's may think borders on silly. I was still, nonetheless, able to speak my piece and share my thoughts.

Smiley

• User profile image
    V4us

:-0 I think it's wrong. Bill Make modern computers world. If he don't get it...

• User profile image
    Eurasian

V4us, someone else would have stepped up to fill the void.  Sure, the technology landscape would look different if Bill had not been born, however, I believe our industry would not be less evolved or innovative than it is today.

• User profile image
    Sabot

No point in looking into the crystal ball here guys.

For my five penth, for what its worth. I remember a time in the computer industry before Microsofts ruled the waves and it was a world full of machines that didn't talk to each other and as friendly as a nest of snakes which would cost an arm and a leg. Lets not do a history lesson here, but my point is that Microsoft was in the right place at the right time, and has taken full advantage.

Microsoft has grown very rapidly and has by it's own admission made mistakes almost like a child. But now we are experiencing Microsoft maturing, coming of age if you like.

Some of us really like the change, specially if you are in the full glow and it cool to have so much focus. It's a good feeling knowing that you are getting somewhere. .Net is a good development environment, very little is on a par, VB and VC++ had issues. .Net goes not have all that baggage. This is the difference. .Net does it well and I look forward to it continuing from being a good business application builder to a great all rounder. The secret will be balance. Power v Productivity. Keeping that balance is not completely up to Microsoft, it can't do it on it's own, it's up to us to feed back.

Now this is the real difference ... can you hear that? ... it's people have a conversation, people talking and people listening ... this is the difference.

So pull up a chair, and lets talk ...

• User profile image
    miamijjs

OK I have to say Thanks to Mr. Gates as well.

Our family has been using Media Center 2004 for awhile now and its really great. Your software is connecting devices that in the past wouldn't play nice together.

From viewing family photos to DVDS, to DIVX files, First rate PC games to the MCE napster M.C.E. 2004 has made a believer out out of our family... young and old. Hell we even have a Media Center TV in the master bathroom.

Please continue to work on the Media Center Concept and include in Longhorn.

My top wish for future releases is for easy remote viewing of recorded tv show via wi-fi on any laptop within signal range. All with one simple M.C.E. icon click.

Anyway thanks for impacting a Family in the Florida Keys who you don't know but really appreciate your hard work.

Thanks Again

John (the_broken@msn.com)

PS. My Kids and I can't wait for the MSN music store.

• User profile image
    scobleizer

I have a few Bill Gates stories. I remember meeting him at a GeekFest where Tena Carter almost nailed him with a football. That was back in 1994 before he started traveling with an entourage. Actually, thinking about it, I think Jeff Raikes was there and he might have been beened with one of those footballs (Jeff is a high ranking executive here, now running the Office team if I remember right). It's funny that Dee Dee Walsh (who planned those geekfests) still has a job and Tena's husband now works for MS Learning. Man were those Geekfests fun!

Me, I just got drunk and danced on the tables. In between beers I got up the urge to go over to Bill and ask him about Codex Leicester, which he had purchased earlier that day. He wasn't interested in talking about that, but when I switched the topic to Visual Basic he seemed far more interested.

Anyway, after you talk with Bill for a few minutes he's just another geek. Talk tech with him and his eyes light up. I wish you all could get that chance. It was one of the highlights of my life to talk geek talk with him.

Amazing that I still got hired here after those parties.

• User profile image
    miies

scobleizer wrote:

Anyway, after you talk with Bill for a few minutes he's just another geek. Talk tech with him and his eyes light up. I wish you all could get that chance. It was one of the highlights of my life to talk geek talk with him.

Would there be any chance of him EVER stop by here at these forums? Smiley

• User profile image
    Knute

miies wrote:
    scobleizer wrote:

Would there be any chance of him EVER stop by here at these forums? Smiley

To quote Bruce Almighty "The day a monkey hops out of my backside is the day that's going to happen"

What's he going to do field questions from anti MS trolls who have nothing better to do than try to insult the richest man in the world?

Not putting channel 9 down here, I just don't see any reason why he would.

ps - I sat behind him on a flight from San Jose once, his staff kept switching seats next to him talking about business. He was right back in coach with the rest of us.

~ Knute

• User profile image
    miies

Well it was kinda meant as a joke, though it would be extremely cool Wink But like you, I doubt it would happen.

By the way, as we're sharing B.G. stories, I've seen (and heard) him speak at the Developer Days, here in The Hague. .NET was just a rising technology and I was very impressed by his keynote speech. Convinced me once and for all to pursue studying this cool new technology, actually.

Glad I did.

• User profile image
    Neal

My Bill Gates moment happened back in 99 where Bill Rudin, my boss met Bill Gates, your boss.He was in town on some round table discussions with the "power houses" of New York City , and was offered a tour of one of our pet projects. I was given the task of showing off the operations of our newly re-built "Smart Building". He was certainly amused at the workings and remote transformation of the rooms based on conference sizes and type of space needed, all controlled from a touch screen palm-top. He was also got a kick out of controlling the elevators, HVACs and the conference screens from this wireless device.
    Anyways later on after the launch of XBOX in 2001, he sent us complimentary xbox consoles to replace the Playstations we used on the Video Wall

Here is a pic of the moment where BILL meets BILL. Similar, don't you think ?

Neal

• User profile image
    Loadsgood

Neal wrote:

Here is a pic of the moment where BILL meets BILL. Similar, don't you think ?

Yes, it looks like there are two BGs except they have different hair cuts. Just.

I haven't even met one person who works at Microsoft, not one. The closest I have come to BG is emailling a Microsoft person for help...

Well to bill gates or any other Microsoft person/thing if your in Australia drop me a line Smiley

• User profile image
    lenn

Microsoft Australia has a very active office in Sydney and works all over the country.  In fact a few of them are registered here on the site.  Where in Australia are you? You should visit one of the local open developer events and get to know some of the local folks.

• User profile image
    henningms

The closest Microsoft offices here is in Oslo I think, some days driving Perplexed Btw, lenn: Did you stop logging in on MSN?

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.