Coffeehouse Thread

30 posts

Visual Studio 2005 Standard for FREE (Little work Required)

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Get your complimentary ASP.NET 2.0 Development Pack.

Attend three webcasts, either live or on-demand, and you’ll receive*:

• Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2005 Standard Edition (Not for Resale)
    • Five chapters of Programming ASP.NET 2.0 Core Reference, by Dino Esposito
    • A 30-day hosting account to try out your custom Web applications
    • Microsoft Developer Security DVD with how-tos, white papers, tools, webcasts, and code samples that demonstrate how to write more secure code
    • A 50% discount on a Microsoft Certified Professional Exam so you can add your new skills to your resume
    • A voucher that allows you to buy Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition with an MSDN® Professional Subscription at renewal pricing (a $400 savings)

Altogether, this complimentary package has an estimated value of $400.

*Offer good in the United States and Canada only through April 17, 2006, while supplies last. This offer is available only to professionals employed in the area of software or Web development who watch three live or on-demand webcasts as part of the ASP.NET 2.0 Webcast Series. This offer is nontransferable. Microsoft is not responsible for nondelivery of gift due to incorrect postal information provided by respondent. Limit: one per customer. Please allow 6–8 weeks for delivery.

http://www.learn2asp.net/Campaign.aspx

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Sweet, thx for linkage.

EDIT:  Wait just a minute... A $400 voucher for VS PRO... Total value $400.... are they saying the rest of this stuff is worthless, or do they just suck at math?

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Sweet, thx for linkage.

EDIT:  Wait just a minute... A $400 voucher for VS PRO... Total value $400.... are they saying the rest of this stuff is worthless, or do they just suck at math?

I think they are saying the voucher is worthless on anything BUT VS Pro. Leaving the rest of the softwares value at a hard price.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Seems to me the proper marketing decision would have been to call it an $800 value.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

SlackmasterK wrote:
    proper marketing decision

Ahahahahahaha.....man you crack me up sometimes...
  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Seriously, though.  Sometimes I'm really impressed with Microsoft's marketing strategies.  Sometimes, though, I just can't see why they made a decision.  Example:  When basic math makes it look like the product itself is worth nil ($400 - 400 = 0).

• User profile image
    Custa1200

Cybermagellan wrote:

*Offer good in the United States and Canada only through April 17, 2006, while supplies last. This offer is available only to professionals employed in the area of software or Web development who watch three live or on-demand webcasts as part of the ASP.NET 2.0 Webcast Series. This offer is nontransferable. Microsoft is not responsible for nondelivery of gift due to incorrect postal information provided by respondent. Limit: one per customer. Please allow 6–8 weeks for delivery.

http://www.learn2asp.net/Campaign.aspx

And the Aussie's miss out yet again...

Same thing happened when VS was launched the ONLY city in Australia for people to get the complimentory version of VS and SQL2005 was in Sydney. Those attending other launch parties (like myself in Brisbane) missed out.

[C]

• User profile image
    Karim

Good catch!  Now that's what I call a virtuous circle.  Thanks for the post....

• User profile image
    jonorossi

Same here Custa1200, I also live in Brisbane. We get jibbed with everything. And all Microsoft offers are USA and Canada only, I would pay for the shipping if they would offer it to us. Hopefully in the near future us Aussies will get a fair go.

• User profile image
    otech

jonorossi wrote:
    Same here Custa1200, I also live in Brisbane. We get jibbed with everything. And all Microsoft offers are USA and Canada only, I would pay for the shipping if they would offer it to us. Hopefully in the near future us Aussies will get a fair go.

Nah, we get some sweet deals too..

(though I was dissapointed to find out we couldnt go for this one, i am in Adelaide, Australia)

a couple of years ago I got a copy of Office 2003 Pro, Windows XP and VS 2003 Pro just for about 15mins of webcasts...

just gotta keep an eye on the aussie MS site and have a few friends in the right places to give you the heads-up Wink

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Thanks for attending three webcasts in the ASP.NET 2.0 Webcast Series, sponsored by Microsoft, Dr. Dobb's, and O'Reilly. Your complimentary ASP.NET 2.0 Development Pack is on its way. (See http://www.learn2asp.net/ for Development Pack details.)

SWEET

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Ditto over here, got mine 5 mins ago.  Damn Outlook and/or Windows decided it was important enough to take me out of my full-screen game of Diablo 2.

• User profile image
    Maurits

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Diablo 2

Hey, I've got a Sorceress who's having the toughest time defeating Duriel the Act 3 boss.  Any tips?

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

*waits for his 'it has been shipped' email*

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Maurits wrote:
    SlackmasterK wrote: Diablo 2

Hey, I've got a Sorceress who's having the toughest time defeating Duriel the Act 3 boss.  Any tips?

IIRC, Duriel is the Act 2 boss.  I ended up killing him (just today) using four level-3 firewalls and a constant birraging of Fireballs. Keep in mind, my hireling was using cold-enhanced weapons so Duriel wasn't moving too fast.

Throughout the course of the game, I always save all my mana potions.  The ones I don't use I save in the stash.  Once I get the Horadric Cube, I start creating my Full Rejuvination potions.  During the Boss fight, I always have my belt filled with them.  Also keep in mind, the Sorceress class is weaker earlier on (until ~level 18-20 IMHO). 

Normally I specialize in Lightning since it has a higher maximum, but today I started this one specializing in Fire, since it has a higher minimum damage.  A Level-20 Firewall inflicts >1200 damage per second.  However, in preparation for Act 3's armies of minions, I always - always have a few points in Nova.  God, how I love Nova.

If you meant Mephisto, the Act 3 boss, your best bet is to move around alot and keep a TP open (plus hotkey the TP spell in case of emergency). Rely on your hireling, and try to use him to distract the Boss. Unfortunately for Sorceresses, Mephisto takes less damage from magic.

Horadric Cube Recipés follow:
    3 mana (any size) + 3 health (any size) = 1 Rejuvination Potion (Heals 35%)
    3 Rejuvination Potions = 1 Full Rejuvination Potion (Heals 100%)

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Programous wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote: Thanks for attending three webcasts in the ASP.NET 2.0 Webcast Series, sponsored by Microsoft, Dr. Dobb's, and O'Reilly. Your complimentary ASP.NET 2.0 Development Pack is on its way. (See http://www.learn2asp.net/ for Development Pack details.)

SWEET

Was that in an e-mail? I completed the min 3 web casts (actually 6), I didn’t get an email, but under the ‘MyEvents’ page it has 6 web casts checked off and at the bottom it says: “Your gift has been shipped to: [my address]”

Yep, an E-mail.  Ironically, I only attended two; the third was full but I got credit for it. 

• User profile image
    martin_lovi​ck

a few other sources of free VS, microsoft.com for the express editions,

if you had gone to the launch event you would have got the pro edition for free[H]

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.