Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Did DRM break my hardware?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    JohnAskew

Star Wars Empire at War on my son's gaming machine + old LG CD-
    ROM + Securom.com = no CD/DVD works anymore; not even a Sony external USB DVDRW...

Surely this is my fault... but how?

How does one check the motherboard for this? I am not sure the DRM broke everything and, well, open-case surgery time.

...clueless...   Expressionless  

• User profile image
    W3bbo

You already posted this, as regards the emails I sent off to investigate, I haven't yet got any response. But I'll keep you informed.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

What happens if you boot from CD or otherwise use the CD drive outside of Windows?  It might not be physical damage, just Windows damage.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

I'll try to re-install 'repair' XP... no game is worth this hassle.

Where's the DRM protest petition?  Mad

Thank you both for helping me. [C]

• User profile image
    PaoloM

My take? Securom installed a CD driver that (surprise!) doesn't work.

• User profile image
    Zeo

Time to Reformat!

• User profile image
    eddwo

Before you do anything drastic you might want to check out
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Specifically the UpperFilters and LowerFilters keys.

See GearSofts uninstall directions

I had a problem of all CD drives disappearing after uninstalling iTunes and Iomega's REV drive support at the same time. Getting rid of the redundant filter driver instructions fixed it for me. The iTunes uninstall removed the actual GearASPI.sys driver, but left the class filter references lying about, so every time I plugged in a drive it was detected, installed the standard drivers, and then tried to install the filter driver and failed.

Likely any filter driver installed by SecureRom can be removed in a similar manner.

Also check out the UpperFilters and LowerFilter properties on device managers "Details" tab for the cdrom device.

Also see this MS KB Article

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

This is dumbfounding.

Once Windows XP pro loads from the affected HDD, neither my keyboard, mouse, or CD/ DVD drives operate whatsoever.

These devices all work fine with the BIOS and up to the point the OS loads. I've been playing with the BIOS all day with no progress.

I'm now looking for a way to load a floppy with FDISK (I haven't had to do that in 10 years) so I can completely demolish the HDD image. I just hope that works.

Any ideas at all? DRM is to blame imho.

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Incredible.

I used a floppy to FDISK the HDD.

The machine still will not boot up on anything but the floppy.

What has DRM done to my motherboard? This thing is toast!

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Finally, some progress...

I found a BIOS flash update for the motherboard from the mfgr. and after loading it, I am running XP pro setup from my CD drive.

Tell me if you believe that DRM did not screw up my system BIOS.

What a load of crap DRM is, and I have no remedy for it.
    Consumer rights!
    Mad

• User profile image
    Karim

Apparently malware f--king up your BIOS is the Next Big Thing:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11372

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Karim wrote:
    Apparently malware f--king up your BIOS is the Next Big Thing:

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/11372

Wow.

article wrote:
    "It is going to be about one month before malware comes out to take advantage of this," said Greg Hoglund, CEO of reverse engineering firm HBGary and editor of Rootkit.com. "This is so easy to do. You have widely available tools, free compilers for the ACPI language, and high-level languages to write the code in."

Does this mean we should turn ACPI off for a few months?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

What I find suspicious is that since I installed 5308, one of my RAID controllers (and all its drives) is/are no longer visible to any Windows installs, including my pre-existing XP SP2.

• User profile image
    Karim

JohnAskew wrote:
    Does this mean we should turn ACPI off for a few months?

I don't know if that will help.

The long term solution may involve supporting EFI instead of the PC BIOS, as Apple has done with their new systems.  Unfortunately it appears that support for EFI is one of the things that was thrown overboard for Vista.

The medium-term solution might be for antivirus/antispyware makers to start doing some kind of checksum on the flash memory contents so at least they'll let you know when it has been changed.  I don't know if that's possible.  If it was possible, I don't see AV vendors being in a big hurry to implement that check, as most of them just figured out there was something called "spyware" in the last 12-18 months.  If they haven't yet gotten a clue about rootkits, why would they figure out there could be a problem with the BIOS?

No, this is probably just going to go underreported for a while, until there's some major BIOS-based rootkit/trojan/malware, and then instead of fixing the problem, the industry will just tell everyone they need to run out and buy a new 64-bit EFI-based PC with a TPM chip.

A couple of years ago people were up in arms about Palladium and "trusted computing" and fears of "Big Brother."  My guess is that people will eventually BEG for that stuff.  Trusted computing?  They'll pay extra for it.  Remember, in the novel 1984, the telescreen was a perquisite.  It was something reserved for loyal party members.  Proles didn't get to have them.

Perhaps we will, finally, love Big Brother.

The short-term solution might be what you did: flashing your BIOS on a regular basis.  Tongue Out

Some BIOSes have a setting that requires a password before you can make BIOS setting changes.  That's good, but I honestly don't know how secure it is (e.g. if the password is stored in cleartext on the flash memory).

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.