Coffeehouse Thread

32 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Offered a Position

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Steve411

    The company representative has requested this post to be removed.

    - Steve

  • User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

    Sounds like PC programming. Run away!

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    jaylittle wrote:
    There is something weird about that email... I can't put my finger on it though.  Did you float a resume?  The guy doesn't seem to actually know anything about you, or he is just extremely inarticulate when it comes to electronic mediums.  Still that is pretty cool.




    They also called me on my home phone, saw my Resume on monster.

  • User profile image
    TimP

    Maybe because they thought he was 18+ years old.

    Monster.com Terms of Use wrote:
    You must be 18 years of age or older to visit or use Monster.com in any manner. By visiting Monster.com or accepting these Terms of Use, You represent and warrant to the Company that You are 18 years of age or older, and that You have the right, authority and capacity to agree to and abide by these Terms of Use.  You also represent and warrant to the Company that You will use Monster.com in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations.

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    jaylittle wrote:
    Steve411 wrote: They also called me on my home phone, saw my Resume on monster.

    It must just be his poor english then - because the email read almost as if he didn't have your resume.


    The lady was from india. So probably.

    - Steve

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    TimP wrote:

    Maybe because they thought he was 18+ years old.

    Monster.com Terms of Use wrote: You must be 18 years of age or older to visit or use Monster.com in any manner. By visiting Monster.com or accepting these Terms of Use, You represent and warrant to the Company that You are 18 years of age or older, and that You have the right, authority and capacity to agree to and abide by these Terms of Use.  You also represent and warrant to the Company that You will use Monster.com in a manner consistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations.



    Don't worry about that. Wink

    - Steve

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    I had a call from a recruitment agency the other day for a position at Microsoft in London but permanent jobs dont pay enough even at Microsoft lol

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    I had a call from a recruitment agency the other day for a position at Microsoft in London but permanent jobs dont pay enough even at Microsoft lol


    lol. I got two more today, one in Redmond / Seattle, WA with Attic Technologies Inc and the other in Portland, OR with Srisys, Inc.

    - steve

  • User profile image
    z33driver

    Steve411 wrote:
    leeappdalecom wrote:I had a call from a recruitment agency the other day for a position at Microsoft in London but permanent jobs dont pay enough even at Microsoft lol


    lol. I got two more today, one in Redmond / Seattle, WA with Attic Technologies Inc and the other in Portland, OR with Srisys, Inc.

    - steve
    Did you post your stuff on monster.com or something?  Or is it new/entry level recruiters spamming you after discovering your website?

    Just make sure you carefully evaluate who exactly they are and what information you divulge to them.

  • User profile image
    Steve411

    z33driver wrote:
    Steve411 wrote:
    leeappdalecom wrote: I had a call from a recruitment agency the other day for a position at Microsoft in London but permanent jobs dont pay enough even at Microsoft lol


    lol. I got two more today, one in Redmond / Seattle, WA with Attic Technologies Inc and the other in Portland, OR with Srisys, Inc.

    - steve
    Did you post your stuff on monster.com or something?  Or is it new/entry level recruiters spamming you after discovering your website?

    Just make sure you carefully evaluate who exactly they are and what information you divulge to them.


    Yeah, monster. It's doing miracles, isn't it? Smiley

    - Steve

  • User profile image
    amotif

    So, did they just call you or did they offer you a job? Smiley

    I find one of the difficult aspects of contracting is finding contacts who can hook me up with good work. Sure, if I were better about networking that might be less of an issue. But I still have to post my resume. In December, knowing that my current contract would end soon, I made my resume visible on a couple well-known sites. For about six hours.

    It’s not really a problem that my resume draws so many hits from head-hunters and agencies, but the real issue is sorting out which of them has real opportunities for me. Most of them are, shall we say, crap. I live in Seattle. I’m interested in contract work in the Seattle area. Do I really want to hear about an opportunity in Connecticut? Or one in Nebraska that based on a keyword search matches a job I had fifteen years ago? No.

    Out of 8-12 contacts I made in those six hours about three had characterized my resume appropriately and suggested reasonable opportunities. And one was hitting about 30% clear compatibility on the open contracts he suggested. I figure that’s a 2-4% hit rate (using my barely-passed-calculus math) for a fairly experienced resume in Seattle, which looks to be a pretty good market right now. But the key is finding that one contact that can match my experience to opportunities that match my interests.

    In the heyday of the dot-com era I turned down offers to fly me half way across the company to interview with companies that didn’t bother to first give me a proper technical phone screen. Those companies face-planted long before the company that paid my way out to Seattle laid me off (after 22 months and two years of signing bonuses). Smiley

    And here I am. But where are you? What do you want to be working on in two years? Five years? Ten years? Measure your contacts based on your goals. Can they help you get where you want to go? Smiley

    </soapbox>

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Interesting tidbit...

    I added my CV ("Resumé for you yanks) to Monster.com shortly after seeing this thread (about 14 hours ago), and whilst I was on the way to school this morning I received a phone-call from "DDE Recruitment" (or something like that). I told them to call be back so I didn't learn what the call was about.

    Maybe I embellished my CV a little too much.

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    I've found www.jobserve.com to be by far the best medium for getting your CV to clients.

    for instance i've been looking for a new contract the last few weeks so my first step is to fire up access with my large table full of agents email's (over 500 addresses)!!!

    blast an email out with my CV attached, then next step is to hit jobserve with a search of what im looking for and apply for every position that fits my skills, then i just sit back an wait for the calls.

    I'm not lying i get at leats 20 calls a day from agencies offering jobs, some of them are full of crap but about 30-50% turn out to be genuine job offers.

  • User profile image
    Tensor

    W3bbo wrote:
    Interesting tidbit...

    I added my CV ("Resumé for you yanks) to Monster.com shortly after seeing this thread (about 14 hours ago), and whilst I was on the way to school this morning I received a phone-call from "DDE Recruitment" (or something like that). I told them to call be back so I didn't learn what the call was about.

    Maybe I embellished my CV a little too much.


    No, its just that you have just had your first brush with that strange species we refer to as the job agent.

    Important lesson for you - DO NOT BELIEVE THEIR LIES. Remember allways they are paid on commision and receieve somthing like 20% of your initial annual salary for everyone they place. It is in there interest to stir things up and to find out where might be recruiting. The unfortunate thing is they dominate the recruitment market so utterly that they are pretty much the only way to get a job.

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    lol yeah i hear that, what kind of people are these agents?

    They would stitch up their own nan if they thought they could get 25% commission.

    Rule 1 never accept the advertised rate because that's the rate the agent will be getting maximum commission the trick is to work out the limit of the agents commission margin and get as close to it as possible Perplexed

  • User profile image
    SlackmasterK

    leeappdalecom wrote:
    Rule 1 never accept the advertised rate because that's the rate the agent will be getting maximum commission the trick is to work out the limit of the agents commission margin and get as close to it as possible

    As you seem to have your own pre-existing policy for dealing with these fine individuals, the question is begged:  How often do you switch jobs?

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Tensor wrote:
    Important lesson for you - DO NOT BELIEVE THEIR LIES. Remember allways they are paid on commision and receieve somthing like 20% of your initial annual salary for everyone they place. It is in there interest to stir things up and to find out where might be recruiting. The unfortunate thing is they dominate the recruitment market so utterly that they are pretty much the only way to get a job.


    Yeah, I was afraid of that.

    They seem to want a more "formal" version of my CV, but does giving them my CV mean I'm entered into a contract or anything?

  • User profile image
    Lee_Dale

    SlackmasterK wrote:
    leeappdalecom wrote:Rule 1 never accept the advertised rate because that's the rate the agent will be getting maximum commission the trick is to work out the limit of the agents commission margin and get as close to it as possible

    As you seem to have your own pre-existing policy for dealing with these fine individuals, the question is begged:  How often do you switch jobs?


    this is my second job in 6 months but ive just joined the ranks of contractors and have dealt with at least 200 agents over the last month and that s no lie

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.