Coffeehouse Thread

53 posts

The Origami Project's hype is frustrating.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

The problem with the Origami project hype is that it's annoying!

What is the point of hyping a product but keeping it a mystery?

Because it generates interest.

Scoble has jumped on the bandwagon with his latest post here and I'm sadly adding to it with my 2p's worth I fear.

But my point is that I need a device that is half way between a PDA and a laptop and the hype doesn't actually tell me any detail on which to make a decent decision. Yes, I know plenty of sites have speculated but no one is 100% sure.

We all like a secret it's part of human nature, but for the likes of me that need to satisfy a genuine business need I find this all very frustrating as I need to deal with facts that I can build a cost justification on.

So I'm going to have to play the game and wait till Thursday, at least I won't have far to go as it will be here on C9.

But as a point Microsoft, next time please just use this mystery hype tactic for kids and games and non-serious stuff because as a business person I find this all a switch off as it's really just a barrier between finding out what I need to know. 

It feels like I've wasted a part of my ever diminishing time.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Yeah, I find these tactics annoying.. .. I wish they'd have kept it quiet and made it a big surprise... ..I've pretty much lost interest in this project.. .. with most things that are over-hyped, I find myself thinking 'Is that it?'

• User profile image
    Adrian​JMartin

yes it v frustrating but.....if the end product IS great then just about every single gadget blog/site/mag/podcast in the world will post about it. You can't pay for that kind of publicity!

To add  more frustration to the mix, the countdown is only to the announcment of the product not the release!

So if the product is really great then how far off is the shipping product?

• User profile image
    mochant

Sabot wrote:

Y'know... sometimes I feel like this company can never make everyone -even its fans - happy. For years (20+), I've heard people complain that MS doesn't how market their wares.

"Why can' they be more like Apple?" they ask.

"What's with the dinosaurs anyway? You saying I'm a dinosaur?"

For once, they get it really right and you guys are complaining about having to wait a few days to get the deets. Sheesh. Go on about your business if it's that annoying. Refuse to be distracted by the bright shiny object and develop a bit of patience.

Obsessing over it won't make it appear any faster and only sets you up for a greater fall if the product, once unveiled, fails to align perfectly with your vision.

It is going to be great though... just you wait and see. Wink

• User profile image
    blowdart

mochant wrote:
    For once, they get it really right and you guys are complaining about having to wait a few days to get the deets. Sheesh. Go on about your business if it's that annoying. Refuse to be distracted by the bright shiny object and develop a bit of patience.

Depends on what you consider right. Personally I don't give a flying f**k about it. I've already dismissed it as more hype, little product. Just like Vista and WinFX. I can't wait to see what promises will be dropped from origami as shipping time comes around.

• User profile image
    AndyC

mochant wrote:

For once, they get it really right and you guys are complaining about having to wait a few days to get the deets. Sheesh.

Marketing has two goals:

1) Convince me I have a problem
    2) Offer me the solution

The Origami stuff doesn't manage either. It gives me no reason to return to the site to learn more. I'm much more interested by a single leaked image of the device than any amount of Flash web ads.

There seems to be a tendency at MSFT to assume that you can just decide on a 'viral marketing' scheme and it will always work. It doesn't. If you want me to start talking about something you need to give me a compelling reason to do so. Make if funny, make it risqué, but don't just assume it'll spread because you want it to.

I can only hope that what we see on the 9th has a better story, otherwise it'll be the Tablet PC all over again.

• User profile image
    billh

I personally hope that whatever it is, it ushers in a brand new area of people tracking.  I hope it tracks my every movement, everything I buy, and records it somewhere in GPS coordinate format in some massive petabyte database that is queried hourly.  Then we can finally put all of this "freedom" nonsense to rest permanently.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

billh wrote:
    I personally hope that whatever it is, it ushers in a brand new area of people tracking.  I hope it tracks my every movement, everything I buy, and records it somewhere in GPS coordinate format in some massive petabyte database that is queried hourly.  Then we can finally put all of this "freedom" nonsense to rest permanently.

Excellent, the resistance in this one is dimishing, lets move onto the next one. (Pulls syringe from pocket)

• User profile image
    Harlequin

If you look at the product shot, it looks like the LE800 tablet from Motion or something of the like. There's probably a pen pushed into the side of it we haven't seen yet Cool

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

The other thing about this product is that the current website looks rubbish.. ..the flash file looks like it's copied off a zip disk circa 1996. Come on MS, hire some decent designers!

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Like I said, thunders gone from Origami

• User profile image
    scobleizer

Come back on Thursday. Personally, 99% of this hype is not being driven by Microsoft. I saw a headline on the front page of a major city newspaper that said something like "Microsoft to come out with iPod killer."

We didn't tell ANYONE that.

Even in this forum I see people saying "I've made up my mind already about this product." WTF? You haven't even seen it yet and you're already making up your mind about it? Give me a freaking break.

On Thursday you'll spend an hour with Otto Berkes, the architect behind Origami (he was one of the first four guys on the Xbox team too).

After that we can have a talk about it and whether or not it's appropriate for you. Hint: it won't be the perfect device for everyone. Which is why I posted my post yesterday (it won't kill the iPod, or the Palm, or the Treo, or the PSP).

As to "why can't Microsoft be Apple?"

There's a good answer to that: we have a different business model. We're working with several manufacturers on Origami. We are a platform company. We do NOT own the end-to-end product like Apple does (Apple owns the marketing, we do not. Apple owns the stores, we do not. Apple owns the box design. We do not. Apple owns the software end to end. We do not.

So, we can't do the "shock and awe" marketing that Apple does. Too many people have to know about this outside of Microsoft to keep any secrets.

That's OK. In return you get devices that do more and cost less and give you more choice.

Robert

• User profile image
    SimianJones

*grin*

You do realize the only reason the hype is frustrating is because you're buying into the hype machine?  Shrug your shoulders, take a deep breath and remind yourself it really doesn't matter.  Caring about it one way or the other is how you know they have you.

• User profile image
    Karim

Sabot wrote:

The whole point behind lingerie is to put something on display, but not to reveal it completely.  It's about what you can almost see.

Sabot wrote:

Exactly.  LOL

• User profile image
    Wil

Given the way this product is being marketed via hype through rumors prior to unveiling, and based on the (probably innacurate) picture we've seen, I would speculate that the Origami is in fact a GPS navigator (hooked to local.live, of course) for the Segway. Smiley

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Nice to see Apple copying from Microsoft. Again.

• User profile image
    jamie
  • User profile image
    jamie

look at the size though...

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.