Coffeehouse Thread

24 posts

Feeling a bit cheated with XP SP 2

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    MisterDonut

Ok, not necessarily cheated, but let down..

I downloaded XP SP 2 onto a CD from MSDN Subscribers and installed it. Now, I note that my computer continues to say it is repairing MSN 5.2 when re-starting, yet it can't continue because it's in the middle of another install(!). This is after a number of reboots. Windows Updates goes to v5 (?) and it just continues to search for updates for over an hour.. It also doesn't recognize Norton Antivirus 2004 (it knows it's there, but can't tell if it is out of date..)

I was so frustrated and let down I almost (key word is Almost) considered buying a Mac for my next computer purchase (which is coming up..)

My question is, does anyone else feel that the hype of SP 2 isn't all it is cracked up to be? And possibly it is more of a hassle than it is worth?

• User profile image
    PeterF

About Norton Anivirus, if you have the English version you should be able to update it with LiveUpdate.

About MSN (6.2), it does this the first time to modify settings in the built-in firewall. You could de-install it and do a fresh install.

I only had trouble with NetLimiter messing up the TCP/IP stack after the upgrade... I consider an install of XP with slipstreamed SP2 just to get rid of all the junk I installed over the past year. I might do a hardware upgrade to motivate me more Wink

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I was thinking about doing that with MSN 6.2. I'll probably try this evening.. It's wierd, though, why my I get the Preparing to Install dialog when launching a link in a new window in IE.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

After you install SP2, there will be two liveupdates to install for Norton. They were released yesterday. These make is SP2 compatable.

My problem with SP2 is getting kicked off the wireless network every ten minutes and it not allowing me to vpn while the firewall is on!

Grrr

• User profile image
    dougware

Yeah, the wireless stack just seems to get worse every time they 'upgrade' it. The sad thing is that I read a quote from some PM in that area that was basically, "problems? what problems? if customers can contact us with reproduceable issues we fix them." 

I switched over to the Dell wireless utility and my problems went away.

Beyond that, the only thing I'm having trouble with that I can't figure out is that outlook web access on IE won't render any popups. They open, but they hang with the hourglass and never paint. That was the last site I was still using IE with because it was a much better experience than Firefox, but now that it doesn't work I'll probably just go 100% Firefox until I get around to finding a fix.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

I got rid of the network problems finally. Dell had a update for everything from my BIOS to the network drivers for the SP2. I hadn't thought of going there first since I own an Inspiron XPS and they have only been on the market since March.

So I am on the network fine now and VPN works with the firewall on. I have not seen the "Program wants to act as a server" dialog yet though.

I have not used IE since I use Firefox. I only use IE for MSDN Subscriber downloads and windows update. I am also a Trillian user and it was a little more difficult to eradicate msn messenger off my pc this time.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Karim

MisterDonut wrote:

My question is, does anyone else feel that the hype of SP 2 isn't all it is cracked up to be? And possibly it is more of a hassle than it is worth?

This is a very common reaction.  At Microsoft it's called PRTMD (Post-RTM Depression).  It's related to post-partum depression in new mothers.  You install the new software you've waited so long for and, after using it for a few minutes, feelings of ennui set in.  It can also be exacerbated by incompatibilities or problems with the new software.  It can progress to feelings of melancholia or even outright depression.  One is left wondering, "Is that it?  Is this all there is?"

Left untreated, PRTMD may result in bouts of soul-seeking, followed by chronic existential anxiety (e.g. "Why am I here?  What does it all mean?")

The usual clinical approach to combating PRTMD is to provide the patient with new beta software to replace the old beta software.  In this case, mild cases can be treated by installing any of the Visual Studio Express products, while severe cases may require installing one of the latest Longhorn builds.  The subsequent fixation on the next generation of software usually causes acute PRTMD to subside within a few weeks, and patients can go back to their usual routine of looking forward to "the next build" solving all their problems.

• User profile image
    FluffyDevil​Bunny

Soft spoken legal disclaimer to the above post:

"Beta sofware is not for everyone. Mild or low occuring side effects of rebooting, reinstalling or blue screening may occur in some users. You should consult your network administrator to see if beta software is right for you. You should not use beta software if you are on DOS, OS/2 or Amiga platforms. Persons suffering from spy-ware and immune disorders such as Nimbda should not install beta software. Only a certified professional can determine if beta software is right for you."

"Beta software... when then is better than now."

Ok now it's all legal.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Karim wrote:

This is a very common reaction.  At Microsoft it's called PRTMD (Post-RTM Depression).  It's related to post-partum depression in new mothers.  You install the new software you've waited so long for and, after using it for a few minutes, feelings of ennui set in.  It can also be exacerbated by incompatibilities or problems with the new software.  It can progress to feelings of melancholia or even outright depression.  One is left wondering, "Is that it?  Is this all there is?"

I hope I don't experience this with Longhorn...

I might ditch Windows altogether and buy a nice TRS-80 and go old school... Smiley

• User profile image
    lars

Karim wrote:
    One is left wondering, "Is that it?  Is this all there is?"

If that is all that happens, I'll be happy. It's the "OMG WTF happened to my install - it just bluescreens all the time" emotion I'm worried about. I think I'll hold off for a while and let other people make the mistakes. It's pretty easy - the SP2 version for Swedish is rumoured to arrive in September (!)

• User profile image
    Cider

Karim wrote:

This is a very common reaction.  At Microsoft it's called PRTMD (Post-RTM Depression)....Left untreated, PRTMD may result in bouts of soul-seeking, followed by chronic existential anxiety (e.g. "Why am I here?  What does it all mean?")

And MisterDonut had it really, really bad.  His was bordering on insanity.  I mean, he was considering buying a Mac, the mental, impetulant fool!  Smiley

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

Cider wrote:
    I mean, he was considering buying a Mac, the mental, impetulant fool!  Smiley

Yeah.. Glad I came to my senses soon.. Some people go for that artsy stuff.. Gimme a plain old box with a button or two on it anytime. (Unless it's alienware..)

• User profile image
    crispybit

The way I see it; SP2 is a security oriented update, if some application breaks because it's using some API call or w/e that is unsecure just to save the programmer x lines of code or the end user 2 or 3 clicks. I say let it break, this way MS can force programmers to start writing better quality programs (yes even their own programmers) while also making the system the program its running on more secure. As for the 'hassle' of having to click a info bar to install an activeX control or having to say yes allow this program to connect to the internet, big deal, people have complained and complained a lot over the years of "This is unsecure" or "My system always crashes". MS has (for the most part) fixed the stability factor with switching to the NT kernel and with SP2 has started down the right path for fixing the security issues.

Keep up the great work guys!

• User profile image
    arthurn

I installed SP2 yesterday and I haven't encountered any problems.  The only thing is the security center not being able to find out the status of Norton Antivirus, even after LiveUpdate.  But that's not a big deal at all...  I guess I'm lucky.   

• User profile image
    Karim

FluffyDevilBunny wrote:
    Soft spoken legal disclaimer to the above post:

"Beta sofware is not for everyone. Mild or low occuring side effects of rebooting, reinstalling or blue screening may occur in some users. You should consult your network administrator to see if beta software is right for you. You should not use beta software if you are on DOS, OS/2 or Amiga platforms. Persons suffering from spy-ware and immune disorders such as Nimbda should not install beta software. Only a certified professional can determine if beta software is right for you."

"Beta software... when then is better than now."

Ok now it's all legal.

ROFL!

You need to add the generic images of couples strolling on the beach, walking through fields of tall grass, giving each other meaningful glances, etc.  But otherwise, perfect.

• User profile image
    MisterDonut

I have rolled back SP2, uninstalled MSN Messenger 6.2. Reinstalled SP2. I still get the "Preparing to Install" dialog with practically thing I do. And I"m unable to re-install MSN Messenger 6.2.

Oh well..

Don't worry, though. Jobs and his cult won't get money from me any time soon.

• User profile image
    SiR_CharLZ

Karim that is funny as heck. /added to "My Pictures" hehe

• User profile image
    thechris

you can get a bash prompt on a mac.  i think that qualifies it as a real computer...

but yeah, anytime you see beta you should _expect_ bad, but of course hope for good.  realize that many "stable" patches break people's installs, so a beta should be worse.  this isn't OS specifc because its usually some bizzar mix of 3rd party software and hardware that causes the problems.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.