Coffeehouse Thread

25 posts

VS.Net 2005 - Has VS.Net usability jumped the shark.

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Rossj

During my usual early evening trawl around my newsfeeds I found this post from Brendan Tompkins.

Brendan Tompkins wrote:

Now, I have all kinds of thoughts relating to this and how we’ve made things too complex in the .NET software development world, and in the world of computing in general, and how we’ve forgotten about ease of use

Other points involve
    • It's slow.
    • I can't easily find my files.
    • They've removed features that I used.

I've only spent a little time with 2005, as my current customer is still using 2003, but I find myself agreeing to a certain extent with his rant.

Now that VS.Net 2005 has had some time to settle in, are you happy with it? Is it an improvement over 2003 or is it just different? Is the performance acceptable, or does it reduce your productivity?

• User profile image
    PaoloM

It is a little slower, but that has to be expected from a much more complex application. However, the productivity enhancements from snippets and an application of IntelliSense at a much deeper level more than compensate for the increased startup time.

I usually customize the hell out of my toolbars, so I have basically the same layout between 2003 and 2005 and I can't find any missing commands...

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I just want to say one thing to the developers of VS2005:

Websites *ARE* projects!

When they release VS2005 SP1, I really want them to add an option to move the Website items back into the New Project dialog.

• User profile image
    PerfectPhase

W3bbo wrote:
    I just want to say one thing to the developers of VS2005:

Websites *ARE* projects!

When they release VS2005 SP1, I really want them to add an option to move the Website items back into the New Project dialog.

Really hated that at first, but don't have a problem with it now I've go used to it, in fact I quite like it.

The main thing I really want is a native project type for libraries of web user controls that can be directly referenced from web sites (i.e. single fixed name assembly)

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PerfectPhase wrote:
    Really hated that at first, but don't have a problem with it now I've go used to it, in fact I quite like it.

The main thing I really want is a native project type for libraries of web user controls that can be directly referenced from web sites (i.e. single fixed name assembly)

...why do you need a new project type for that?

Just create a bog-standard class-library project and add classes that inherit System.Web.UI.Control

• User profile image
    John Galt

A little slower?

Try doing a WinForms app!!! It's hideous with any good sized form!!!

Brutal betaware.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

I most certainly like VS2005, and the fact that recently my last remaining ASP.NET 1.1 webhost upgraded to 2.0 means that finally I can stop installing two versions of VS which just costs way too much time (especially since I have VS2003 on CD so I can't walk away while installing it, and I have the upgrade so I need VS2002 CD1 at hand as well, plus I have to install .Net 1.1, VS2003, .Net 1.1 SP1, .Net 1.1 security update, VS2003 GDI+ update, MSDN documatation update, it was just very annoying).

Despite some other minor bugs, there's only one thing I don't understand and hate about VS2005, and that is regular expressions in the IDE. That's just completely, totally, utterly broken. When dealing with a multiline regex search and replace, VS2005 will yield the wrong results and quite frequently even crash completely. I don't understand how this couldn't have been caught; the only way not to notice it is to never use regexes in the IDE.

• User profile image
    blowdart

If you want to complain about speed I'd look at SQL2005 Management Studio. The conversion to managed code didn't do it any favours, and took a look of disk space with it.

Added bonus if you want to start writing CLR stored procs, you get Visual Studio installed, and no, you don't use a SQL project to write them either. Bizarrely and poorly laid out project choices.

• User profile image
    harumscarum

The slower performance is unacceptable for me. I recently worked on some phase2 work for a .net 1.1 project. While upgrading to 2.0 was discussed we could not find the value in doing so.

I do understand that vs2005 is a very complex product but for me it is just a small piece in a complete enterprise package I have to deliver. It is not worth the frustration since I can achieve the same results with vs2003 and .net 1.1.

• User profile image
    footballism

If you are unsatisfied with VS2005, then use SharpDevelop 2.0 instead:p

Sheva

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    borosen

yman wrote:
    For example, on both of my machines, when I hit the CSS dialog for websites, the form just popups and closes, almost as if they are not calling it as a model dialog. It never used to happen when I just installed it, but imagine, two machines, wtf!

Are you by any chance running IE7?

If that is the case, you may want to have a look at a workaround.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

• User profile image
    scottgu

I saw a comment earlier in the thread about wanting to have the same web project model in VS 2005 as in VS 2003 (single assembly, with a project file for definitions).

We are actually making this available via the VS 2005 Web Application Project Model option.  A preview is available as a web download now at: http://webproject.scottgu.com.

A feature complete version will then be available later this month or the beginning of next month.  We will also then add this to SP1 and support it going forward with VS in addition to the web-site option.

Hope this helps,

Scott

• User profile image
    rhm

yman wrote:
    Words cannot express how annoyed I am with VS 2005 (well they could, but they would be very vulgar and vile)

Every 10 seconds when I'm typing code, or else randomly when I choose to save the code (like one would do), it just freezes, like it is stuck in a bottle neck. It then takes around 7 seconds for control to come back.

It has got so annoying, I feel like throwing my computer out the window.

Imagine, frequently, when you are typing code, the app just freezes.

Dude, buy some more RAM.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

rhm wrote:
    yman wrote: Words cannot express how annoyed I am with VS 2005 (well they could, but they would be very vulgar and vile)

Every 10 seconds when I'm typing code, or else randomly when I choose to save the code (like one would do), it just freezes, like it is stuck in a bottle neck. It then takes around 7 seconds for control to come back.

It has got so annoying, I feel like throwing my computer out the window.

Imagine, frequently, when you are typing code, the app just freezes.

Dude, buy some more RAM.

And throw away that stupid antivirus program...

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.