Coffeehouse Thread

8 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

FAO All those who work at a business...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Pace

hello all,

Im not sure about you guys / gals, but im the only IT guy in the company I work for that has 90 employees.

Now I like to be professional and I like to be taken as seriously as possible. But sometimes I might be coding, sometimes I might be at a meeting, sometimes I might be cabling, sometimes ill be sat in SQL Server all day and sometimes I might be under a desk all day.

I read this article here: http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/comment/2151710/staff-should-look-business ...

... and I wondered what your thoughts on the subject were?

• User profile image
    Lee_Dale

Personally I try to look as smart as possible, now I have found that the IT department is always the worst dressed IMO.

Blokes walking around in dusty old t-shirts and trousers, with scuffed up shoes or trainers think it looks untidy and unprofessional.

I personally always wear smart trousers, shirts and shoes or if i'm meeting a client it's a suit.  Who cares if sometimes im patching in a switch in the comms room or setting up a pc under a users desk, IT is one of teh highest paid industries how much does a half decent pair of trousers, shoes are shirt cost?

• User profile image
    Pace

leeappdalecom wrote:
    IT is one of teh highest paid industries how much does a half decent pair of trousers, shoes are shirt cost?

Nice comments!

Think you should speak to my MD Tongue OutWink

• User profile image
    pftqg

I wear a pair of dark trousers and black shoes. I wear either a short sleeved shirt, collared top or polo-neck. Tie? Never. However, I've spent the last 6 months as a programmer - I'm sitting at my desk, 95%+ of the time I'm not dealing with clients. When I am... well, I know those days so they are definitely shirt days.

• User profile image
    cheong

IMHO what you wear should match what you work on.

I don't think it'll be comfortable to work under desk/in server rack with full business suit. Smart casual will usually do the job.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    JeremyJ

A saying I always liked...

You shouldn't dress for the job you have but for the job you want.

• User profile image
    adnanrafik

Good dressing always counts. IK face the same problem. Most of the times it happens that I've a meeting and I get the call from my client that he wants me there to fix the problem.

After finishing the meeting I go the site and have to find the cable under the table or sometimes in the data center the at the back side of the 42 U rack in the messy cable.

I become out of mind when I have to do this. Sometimes I thing that ...this is the day I've invested my 4 years in the college to fix the cables?

Honestly speaking If I have the option to change my career I must but I can't as I'm in this profession for the lat 6-7 years. It is very difficult to goto under the dusty desk and find the cable, assembling the PC and so on.

Specially if you are working the at the vendor side then you have to do all the jobs related to hardware.

But I must say the Dress Code counts. First impression is the last impression. If you wear expensive clothing for a number of time it gives good impression to the client. Afterwords you can have casual clothing.Tongue Out

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

JeremyJ wrote:
    A saying I always liked...

You shouldn't dress for the job you have but for the job you want.

Yeah, that doesn't really work in a number of situations.  If I blew $500 on a suit because I wanted to be big-time management, I would instead look like a moron when I had to get that suit dirty doing cable work.

Besides, I want a job where I can dress casually and comfortable.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.