Coffeehouse Thread

34 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Here Comes the Summer of Bird Flu

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    billh

Ready or Not, Bird Flu Coming to America

ABC News wrote:
    In a remarkable speech over the weekend, Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt recommended that Americans start storing canned tuna and powdered milk under their beds as the prospect of a deadly bird flu outbreak approaches the United States.
    Canned Tuna and Powdered Milk? Just this past week my local grocery store had loads of coupons for chicken.  Drumsticks, legs, wings.  Mmmmm. I'm going to assume that next Thanksgiving won't be a pretty one. How are people in other countries faring? Has chicken dropped off the menu in parts of Europe?

What this post has to do with software, I dunno.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Can you even get bird flu from cooked meat?

• User profile image
    W3bbo

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Can you even get bird flu from cooked meat?

Provided it's cooked well, no. Although NewScientist advised its readers to stock up on Tamiflu before they become "restricted".

NewScientist also recommended that if you cannot get Tamiflu, that if you're in the firing line (i.e. likely to get influenza) to get it ASAP, that way you have a stronger chance of surviving since it would be before the rest of the country, so you'd have more medical guys to help you.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

billh wrote:

ABC News wrote: In a remarkable speech over the weekend, Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt recommended that Americans start storing canned tuna and powdered milk under their beds as the prospect of a deadly bird flu outbreak approaches the United States.
    Canned Tuna and Powdered Milk? Just this past week my local grocery store had loads of coupons for chicken.  Drumsticks, legs, wings.  Mmmmm. I'm going to assume that next Thanksgiving won't be a pretty one. How are people in other countries faring? Has chicken dropped off the menu in parts of Europe?

What this post has to do with software, I dunno.

I guess I must be retarded, but what exactly should we be doing with the hoarded tuna and powdered milk?  I'm pretty sure that if I get my accuracy up, I could hit a flu-infested turkey with a can of tuna, but is this truly an effective method of flu response?

• User profile image
    Karim

billh wrote:

ABC News wrote: In a remarkable speech over the weekend, Secretary of Health and Human Services Michael Leavitt recommended that Americans start storing canned tuna and powdered milk under their beds as the prospect of a deadly bird flu outbreak approaches the United States.

Oh great, so we can all get methylmercury poisoning and go crazy.  (Or in some cases, more crazy)

If you weigh 170 pounds, all you have to do is eat 6 oz. (1 can!!!) of canned Albacore a week, and you're already over the EPA limit for mercury exposure.

And the Secretary of "Health" wants us to hoard this stuff under our beds?!?  Eat it several times a week???  Maybe more than once a day???

'I've just invested in Google!' the Hatter said triumphantly.

'A most auspicious purchase,' said the Dormouse.

'Indeed,' muttered the March Hare.

'I've given them my entire fortune,' said the Hatter.  'Two shillings, four farthings, and a penny.'

'Four farthings is one penny,' retorted Alice.

'And a tin of tuna fish,' added the Hatter.  'Six ounces of the finest Albacore.'

Alice felt dreadfully puzzled.  'You can't buy stock with tuna fish,' she said.

'Quite right,' said the Hatter, 'Quite right.  It must be kept under the bed at all times.'

'Just like in the song,' said the March Hare.

The Hatter nodded enthusiastically.  'Oh yes.  You are familiar with the song, are you not?'

'I'm afraid not,' said Alice.

The Hatter gave Alice a disapproving look, and said, 'I'm sure you do.  It goes something like --

"Twinkle, twinkle, fish in sea
           Alas, you're filled with mercury
           Underneath my bed you dwell
           Next to the gold and shotgun shell"

Everyone stared expectantly at Alice -- except for the Dormouse, who had fallen asleep again.

'I think you have a promising career as a singer,' ventured Alice.

The Hatter smiled and replied, 'Actually, I thought I might go into Politics.'

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Yes, please stock food that's highly likely never going to be affected by that damn virus.

• User profile image
    billh

ScanIAm wrote:
    I guess I must be retarded, but what exactly should we be doing with the hoarded tuna and powdered milk?  I'm pretty sure that if I get my accuracy up, I could hit a flu-infested turkey with a can of tuna, but is this truly an effective method of flu response?
    I can't figure out the "tuna and powered milk" angle myself.  Mercury poisoning and all. Maybe the spokesperson is being influenced by the "Starkist" lobby or something.
    TFA wrote:
    U.S. spy satellites are tracking the infected flocks, which started in Asia and are now heading north to Siberia and Alaska, where they will soon mingle with flocks from the North American flyways.
    That's a novel use of a spy satellite...how do they track an infected flock with a satellite?

Whatever the case, I guess I'll just have more birds to hit with my car this year. I can't imagine they can fly straight when they are sick.  I hit three birds a couple of years ago in one summer--one bounced off the windshield, and two careened off the hood. I think in one or two of those cases, the birds had West Nile because they were flying strangely. 

On a side note: if a bird-flu-infected bird hits my car or if I find a dead bird in the yard what the heck am I supposed to do with it?

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

billh wrote:
    That's a novel use of a spy satellite...how do they track an infected flock with a satellite?

All gadgets used in the Alias TV series exist in real world! Oh yeah, they do!

• User profile image
    Karim

billh wrote:
    On a side note: if a bird-flu-infected bird hits my car or if I find a dead bird in the yard what the heck am I supposed to do with it?

"I Ran," by A Flock of Seagulls

• User profile image
    billh

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

billh wrote:

And why aren't they using space-based lasers to shoot the birds down?

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Because project Star Wars couldn't even hit Earth even when drydocked on it.

• User profile image
    Karim

ScanIAm wrote:
    billh wrote: That's a novel use of a spy satellite...how do they track an infected flock with a satellite?

And why aren't they using space-based lasers to shoot the birds down?

Vader: They're so small they're evading our turbo-lasers.

Tarkin: Then you'll have to fight them ship to ship.  Get the crews to their fighters.  Must I think of everything?  Honestly.

Vader: Well... ah... they're actually too small to be fought with fighters as well.

Tarkin: What?!?

Vader: We're being attacked by... birds, sir.

Tarkin: Birds?  Can't we just... blow them up or something?

Vader: They're too small.

Tarkin: I can't believe it.  We've got firepower greater than half the Imperial Starfleet, we can destroy a whole planet, yet... we can only watch helplessly as we're attacked by... birds.

Vader: Ironic, innit?

[awkward pause]

Tarkin: Escape capsules, then?

Vader: Already warming up.

Tarkin: I just can't believe... all this... destroyed by a flock of seagulls.

Vader: Seagulls are non-migratory.

Tarkin: Don't be pedantic.

Vader: Sorry.  Oh hey, did I mention I killed my old master...?

[exeunt Tarkin, Vader]

• User profile image
    cheong

Hey, it's not the end of the world!

Even there has been a few cases of bird flu in Hong Kong, people here still eat KFC. XD

Actually, there is theory/rumor that H5(virus carry this gene infect birds) virus already have gotten N1 or N2(virus carry these gene infect human) before. Just that the medical technology was not good enough to identify it from common flu of human. Therefore these cases are identified as heavy common flu. So this is not a brend new issue and don't over-panic. Tongue Out

Talking about KFC, since their chicken are known to be genetic engineered, can't they genetic engineer it a bit more to make it more flu-resistant?

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

cheong wrote:
    Hey, it's not the end of the world!

Even there has been a few cases of bird flu in Hong Kong, people here still eat KFC. XD

Actually, there is theory/rumor that H5(virus carry this gene infect birds) virus already have gotten N1 or N2(virus carry these gene infect human) before. Just that the medical technology was not good enough to identify it from common flu of human. Therefore these cases are identified as heavy common flu. So this is not a brend new issue and don't over-panic.

Talking about KFC, since their chicken are known to be genetic engineered, can't they genetic engineer it a bit more to make it more flu-resistant?

I'd like to see them engineer it to not taste like crap.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

cheong wrote:

They're not, that's an urban myth.

KFC source its chicken from low-cost battery farms, surely genetically-engineered chickens would cost more.

• User profile image
    Stephen

CSIRO wrote:
    Recently CSIRO scientist Dr Jenny McKimm-Breschkin has tested the ability of Relenza to inhibit the H5N1 influenza virus, or bird flu. Governments are planning to stockpile flu drugs including Relenza as protection against future pandemics such as the H5N1 bird flu.

CSIRO (Australia's national science agency)

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Karim, you kill me. Funny stuff.  Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.