Coffeehouse Thread

37 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Firefly / Serenity

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    TommyCarlier

This weekend I watched the movie 'Serenity', and I just loved it. I hadn't seen Firefly, but I had read good things about it. It's sci-fi, but still quite realistic (no aliens!). The jokes are actually funny (compared to a lot of failed attempts of humor in other sci-fi films/series), and it feels like the creators don't take themselves too serious. Are there a lot of other fans at C9? (besides Sampy & Sven, whose avatars say enough Wink)

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I saw Serenity a few weeks ago--  it was amazing!  I haven't seen Firefly yet, though.  I want to.

• User profile image
    Cairo

Firefly is really good. I enjoyed Serentity quite a bit.

I like that in the Firefly universe it's not all about the military, unlike Star Trek, Star Wars, etc. The main protagonists are more like "regular" people. They each have their own personalities apart from their role in the group. Everything's not ordered and regimented; life happens.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

It's a great series. Too bad these clowns at Fox tried to do everything to kill it during its first season and succeeded.

Also, the Firefly theme song is f'n great, needs a few listens to not hate it, though.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

I saw it in the theater and then bought the DVD and only then did I start watching Firefly.

As for the seeming inconsistency, it seems to make more sense to me than the idea that once we figure out space travel, we'll just bring our entire societal infrastructure along with us. 

The old-west motif seems to mimic...well...the old west when pioneers were setting up small, remote communities.  The one thing that seemed silly in star trek (and the original BSG, etc.) was that everything was clean and sanitary.  I've read that the current ISS reeks like a dead horse dipped in dog-doo, but being in space is so cool, nobody complains Smiley

• User profile image
    zzzzz

not a big fan but a fan. 

Firefly will never have a big fan base like Star-Trek or star wars.  The TV show is a bit off in left field.

People still use Revolvers when the human race has figured out how to travel across the stars.

Its a mix of the old west, with todays technology and far into the future technology that nobody uses except to travel from planet to planet.

It just never made that much sense for nick pickers like me

• User profile image
    Minh

zzzzz wrote:

Firefly will never have a big fan base like Star-Trek or star wars.  The TV show is a bit off in left field.

Star Trek is for the unwashed masses (except for DS9). Firefly is for the elites. Plus, who would you rather have aboard your own ship?

Uppity, know-it-all counselor Troi?   Or...

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/a/af/300px-Sirtis_as_Troi2.jpg

Space lady-of-the-night?

http://www.davonline.com/epsi/firefly/inara_gris.jpg

• User profile image
    out180

I love it, I'm a fan for sure.  I never quite understood the Chinese (correct me if I'm wrong) integrated throughout the 'verse.  I like it, kind of funny when they backtalk each other in it but I never really understood why.  Perhaps if I go back and watch the series again I'd get it.

Needless to say I'd like to see another movie.

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Backstory is that China became a superpower next to the US, and then the sh¡t hit the fan on earth, they worked together, build multigenerational ships and settled in the new solarsystem. The languages mixed.

The real reason is to be able to swear on network TV without bleeping everything out.

• User profile image
    Minh

The strange Firefly theme (not tested w/ IE)

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

It's pitched down like hell. Did you strip it from the DVD and forgot to resample it to 44khz?

--edit: Strange, stripping the URL from your post and putting it into WMP it plays fine. Seems like that Flashplayer doesnt dig 48khz files.

http://www.nightsoft.net/sneaker98/FireflyTheme.mp3

• User profile image
    Red5

After a friend loaned me one of the Firefly DVD's I was hooked.  It's one of the best shows that never made it.
    Unfortunately for Firefly fans, the Serenity movie will probably be the only movie from Joss Whedon based on the TV show. 

• User profile image
    out180

Tom Servo wrote:
    Backstory is that China became a superpower next to the US, and then the sh¡t hit the fan on earth, they worked together, build multigenerational ships and settled in the new solarsystem. The languages mixed.

The real reason is to be able to swear on network TV without bleeping everything out.

Thanks, I figured I missed it somewhere.  I do find the Chinese "cursing" less annoying than the overuse of frack'n on Battlestar, which I love as well.  That's a different thread. Smiley

• User profile image
    zzzzz

Minh.

how about none of the above.   Both women yell and scream allot and act as know it alls.  

The Enterprise is a big ship you could hide from the Troi.

DS9 it just sucked of course not a bad as Enterprise,  and Janeway don't get me started on her. 

Offcourse if i had to choose just based on women, the borg chick wins...

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Minh wrote:
    zzzzz wrote:

Star Trek is for the unwashed masses (except for DS9). Firefly is for the elites. Plus, who would you rather have aboard your own ship?

Uppity, know-it-all counselor Troi?   Or...

Can I pick this one instead:
    Ezri Dax

DS9 fan through and through here. Smiley Although it definitely had its lowpoints. That was interesting about it. TNG in any given season usually had some bad episodes, mostly average episodes and some good ones, maybe one or two excellent ones. DS9 tended to have mostly good episodes, several excellent ones, maybe a few average, and some truly horrible ones (mostly involving the Ferengi; they had some good episodes, like the first episode with Grand Nagus Zek (not any of the other ones with him though), and Little Green Men was a blast, but most of the Ferengi-centered eps were terrible; an example of a non-Ferengi episode that stunk worse than live Gagh is the one were Worf went to Risa, that was just terrible). But DS9 also brought us some masterpieces. Season one's "Duet" remains a favourite of mine that embodies the spirit of DS9 and everything that made it different from TNG (TNG could never have had an episode ending like that).

I am also an avid Joss Whedon fan. I saw Firefly first when it was on TV here, in the screwed up order (with the pilot aired last). Then I got the DVDs, saw Serenity in the theatre on opening night, and since two weeks I have the UK version of the DVD (I wasn't going to wait for the Dutch release which is in May). I'd buy ten more copies of the DVD if it could revive Firefly. Smiley

EDIT: And back to the women, on Firefly I'd probably go with Kaylee, not Inara. Big Smile She has what I call the "Willow-factor".

And speaking of Sci-Fi, anyone catch the season end of Battlestar Galactica last Friday (okay, I torrented it, but I'll buy the DVD anyway so I think I'm okay karma-wise Tongue Out ).

• User profile image
    Tom Servo

Terry Farrell > Nicole Deboer

out180 wrote:
    Thanks, I figured I missed it somewhere.  I do find the Chinese "cursing" less annoying than the overuse of frack'n on Battlestar, which I love as well.  That's a different thread.

It just feels like an overuse because that word simply stands out like a sore thumb, as it ain't part of the vocabulary. However since you can't say f*ck on TV, they have to go with this. And "frak" sounds way better than this abortion of "frell" used in Farscape.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Who cares about Inara and Troi-- where else do you get a psychic ninja girl?

• User profile image
    Minh

Sven Groot wrote:
    Season one's "Duet" remains a favourite of mine that embodies the spirit of DS9 and everything that made it different from TNG (TNG could never have had an episode ending like that).
    "Duet" still gives me goosebumbs.
    Whoops...was thinking about the episode where Jake spends his entire life trying to bring back his dad.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.