Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why doesn't Microsoft Open a University?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Shark_M

Hi guys,
    I was woundering why Microsoft does not open a University for ITT and Technology related things, to teach new generations latest technologies and how technology relates to medicine and space exploration and things like that?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Because that's not what Microsoft does?  They're a software company, not an educational institution.

• User profile image
    koorb

It would stifle the injection of new ideas that come from different backgrounds and educations.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

And everyone would cry foul of a publically-traded corporation opening its own schools (well, Microsoft does have its own training, but that's something else)

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

Perhaps the question should be "Why does the Gates Foundation not open a Univeristy?" He could call it Microsoft University and have it specialize in computer software.

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

General Motors ran a university up here for 60 or so years before spinning it off.

I don't think Microsoft could open up a university because there isn't enough diversity in Microsoft as a corporation. GM had the need for chemists, all disciplines of engineering, physicists, etc. for product development but MS would only use IT professionals. An IT only university would just be blacklisted by employers like ITT tech and Devry.

• User profile image
    jamie

my wife is from waterloo and from what she mentioned MS already owns that university.. by way of hires

• User profile image
    dotnetjunkie

I am all pro.

A good IT university is just what companies need.  MS Training is too expensive for students.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I would love to see a Microsoft University but people would complain about it because it would probably be a Windows institution.

• User profile image
    Shining Arcanine

dotnetjunkie wrote:

I am all pro.

A good IT university is just what companies need.  MS Training is too expensive for students.

Should not the unversity tuition cost more than Microsoft's training?

• User profile image
    Karim

Shining Arcanine wrote:
    dotnetjunkie wrote:

I am all pro.

Good point.

If they open a University, it should be ONLINE, and it should be FREE.  A level playing field, available to the entire planet: your classmates come from all over the world, just like your companions in the C9 Coffeehouse.  Do something different.  Lead, don't follow.  They're halfway there with webcasts anyway.

You want a Student Union?  Open a chat room.  Big Smile

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Hear, hear (Or is it "here, here"?)!  There's a charity for the Gates Foundation that more people would find useful.  Hell, I'd even consider donating to a charity like that.  Of course, I'd sign up ASAP.

• User profile image
    Khamul

Karim wrote:
    Shining Arcanine wrote:
    dotnetjunkie wrote:

I am all pro.

Good point.

If they open a University, it should be ONLINE, and it should be FREE.  A level playing field, available to the entire planet: your classmates come from all over the world, just like your companions in the C9 Coffeehouse.  Do something different.  Lead, don't follow.  They're halfway there with webcasts anyway.

You want a Student Union?  Open a chat room. 

How much do you think it would cost? A coalition of Channel9 users could do that! Of course, then problems of hierachy and equal shares and which technology to use and how arise...

• User profile image
    cheong

Good point. Even McDonald has a university, and a lot of bank in the world has one, why not Microsoft open one?

The best thing of all is, the acedemic results of the graduates can finally be "trusted" for "how capable a candidate is". Smiley

And the best player in the classes can be employed directly. That'll eliminate a lot HR costs, and ensure Microsoft has advantage to be the first to select the best graduates.

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

Shark_M wrote:
    Hi guys,
    I was woundering why Microsoft does not open a University for ITT and Technology related things, to teach new generations latest technologies and how technology relates to medicine and space exploration and things like that?

Microsoft used to have a "Microsoft University", eventually it was spun off and has morphed into the current MCSE etc courses.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.