Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why so few entries into MIX 06 Contest?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    raymond
  • User profile image
    PaoloM

First of all, your page is dead ugly. No wonder it got rejected.

This sounds a lot like Beer's modus operandi. Get a challenge, ignore the rules and, when rightfully rejected, complain about censorship.

A classic.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Give the guy some credit; looks like he put a good deal of work and/or time into that project.  But yes, the page is ugly (shudders in sudden realization that own site is ugly... but recouperates when realizes it's not for a project like this)

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

How long is the contest...I might actually just do it to get the this guys site outa my head

• User profile image
    W3bbo

PaoloM wrote:

Milan Negovan (of AspnetRes fame) shows us how it's done.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

No offense to all those who submitted entries to the contest...but man, I looked over the 107 or so entries in the gallery and there are very few standouts.  Where's the concept of flow? Some don't have a grasp on how to use color either...just because you can use 16 million colors doesn't mean that they are all appropriate.

Jamie could sneeze on a piece of paper, photoshop it and it might win that contest.

W3bbo wrote:
    PaoloM wrote:

Better, but too "fruity".  I prefer a more subtle metaphor.
  • User profile image
    Sepcot

W3bbo wrote:
    PaoloM wrote:

Invalid Syntax: <20>March</22> Wink

• User profile image
    Maurits

"It's ugly" criticisms are rarely helpful.  Everyone has their own tastes.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Maurits wrote:
    "It's ugly" criticisms are rarely helpful.  Everyone has their own tastes.
    True.  Colorwise, Raymond, the page has too much happening.  I would pick colors that are present in one or two of the pictures you use (either Bill's picture or the building) and then use the eyedropper tool to pull your colors from there.  The font is consistent, which is sometimes an issue because when you start mixing multiple font types it gets goofy-looking.  Also, I really don't have much, if any "layout" issues with the piece.

HIRE!

• User profile image
    Stephen

via: Live Gadgets (Donovan)

And the winners are :-

Live Gadgets wrote:

I just got a call from Microsoft about the Remix Mix contest. I WON!!!! The 3 winners are:

I also received an honorable mention for my Comix06 entry. Two of the judges stated that they had never seen the MS Comics font actually pulled off successfully on a website. Smiley

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

Stephen wrote:
    Live Gadgets wrote:
    I just got a call from Microsoft about the Remix Mix contest. I WON!!!! The 3 winners are:

I also received an honorable mention for my Comix06 entry. Two of the judges stated that they had never seen the MS Comics font actually pulled off successfully on a website.

Hmmm. I do like the Mix86 one, and the Retro Vegas one "ain't bad".  The Mixmas tree makes me think of the movie cover for Office Space and a whole lotta post-it notes. I dunno why.

• User profile image
    raymond

Hello Niners,

Congratulations to the three winners of the Remix Mix 06 contest.

My favorite in the gallery was Sandra's entry Mixmas Tree.  I am glad to see she won.

I just finished viewing Robert's lastest video with Alan Cooper, whose two books should be required reading for all developers, designers, their employers and as well as buyers of software applications. Great video Robert.

I hope Robert and Charles can followup with a more in depth interview in the near future.

Thank you for all the comments on my own entry.

Start a Conservation!

Raymond

• User profile image
    raymond

Start a conversation as well!

Raymond

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.