Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

I just tried XGL...

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

... and was amazed.

I just got done downloading and trying the Kororaa Live CD, which includes XGL.  Having not yet touched Vista and not having much experience with MacOS, I haven't had much experience with the latest eyecandy and such.  It's quite impressive...  especially how smoothly it runs considering it is off a live CD.  Only a couple bugs that I found:  one where there was artifacting around the cursor, and another which froze X11 and forced me to restart.  It is still experimental, though, so I'll forgive them.

Now my expectations of Vista are even higher...  if an open source app can make something this smooth and pretty, then Microsoft should be able to top it.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    ... and was amazed.

I just got done downloading and trying the Kororaa Live CD, which includes XGL.  Having not yet touched Vista and not having much experience with MacOS, I haven't had much experience with the latest eyecandy and such.  It's quite impressive...  especially how smoothly it runs considering it is off a live CD.  Only a couple bugs that I found:  one where there was artifacting around the cursor, and another which froze X11 and forced me to restart.  It is still experimental, though, so I'll forgive them.

Now my expectations of Vista are even higher...  if an open source app can make something this smooth and pretty, then Microsoft should be able to top it.

I'm in a position here as well. My laptop while new is not powered for Vista's Glass effects, however I'm not sure (I'm gonna download now) how well XGL will run. I can forgo the Windows compatibility in regards for work on my laptop and install Vista on my desktop for Work. I'm starting to get disapointed that Microsoft is setting the standard so high for graphics (True it's needed). Where as Linux will run on crap (Not sure about the XGL)

Most of our core client dev happens on W2K with VS Team however our Web Dev happens and deploys on Linux

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I don't have any intention to switch over to Linux as a primary operating environment--  my hardware should handle glass just fine and I need to do most of my work in Windows.  I'm still impressed by the work they're doing and can't wait to see the next generation graphics in a stable state.

I couldn't tell you if you'll be able to run XGL or not-- it's pretty memory-intensive and requires a relatively recent graphics card.  There's a reasonably comprehensive list on the Gentoo wiki.

It's very different seeing all this stuff for yourself than in videos and still pictures and such, though, so you should at least try it.

• User profile image
    IRenderable

Yes XGL and compiz is fun to play with. Then I got annoyed and turned it off (compiz, not XGL, XGL speeds things up) because I like the no frills Fluxbox window manager and unless I am incorrect compiz is GNOME. I will probally turn Areo off of Vista as well.

• User profile image
    TimP

compiz is just the generic window manager for Xgl. You can use it with GNOME or KDE at the moment. That said, having seen Vista 5308 and Xgl running side by side with all the bells and whistles, I prefer Xgl.

• User profile image
    Rowan

TimP wrote:
    compiz is just the generic window manager for Xgl. You can use it with GNOME or KDE at the moment. That said, having seen Vista 5308 and Xgl running side by side with all the bells and whistles, I prefer Xgl.

I'd be interested in reading your reasons if you don't mind. The videos of XGL look amazing but I'm not sure if the effects might just be over done, do the effects actually improve  the usability/productivity on Linux?

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Just looks like a Windows/Mac hybrid. Is there no Linux interface with anything new to add? New kind of interface, new layout, etc etc.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Harlequin wrote:

Just looks like a Windows/Mac hybrid. Is there no Linux interface with anything new to add? New kind of interface, new layout, etc etc.

ummm...  the windows jiggle when you move them?  Tongue Out

• User profile image
    TimP

The architecture is nice. All the effects are actually plug-ins that plug into compiz, each with their own preferences, so not only can you add more plug-ins, you can also change the settings of each individual plug-ins. For example, you can change how wobbly the windows are. Vista doesn't have most of these effects so it's definitely not a Vista ripoff. It could be argued that some of the ideas came from OS X, but OS X borrows from Windows in some cases, Windows borrows from OS X, so I don't consider this an issue. Besides I can legitimately run this on my x86 box which isn't the case with OS X.

Yes, eye candy doesn't actually add functionality, but that's not really the point. When you're in the desktop environment for the majority of your work it's things like Xgl that make it more fun and interesting to use. The opacity options and fast desktop switching are legitimately useful and productive features, too.

I think Xgl is an innovative piece of software contrary to what Harlequin said, especially with regard to the plug-in model that I mentioned above. Anyone can read the docs and add their own effect. This is not possible on OS X and most likely will not be possible on Vista either. Even if it's not you writing the plug-in, I'm sure a lot of cool plug-ins will show up.

• User profile image
    snoops

I've been using XGL with compiz for about 3 weeks now, and I must say I'm insanely impressed with something that feels so beta yet is still in alpha phase of development.

I feel quite strongly about xgl/compiz because of the massive potential it has. For instance I've been playing with the friction and kinetic energy settings in gconf > apps > compiz > wobbly. I've got it so if I move a window with enough velocity then take my finger off of the mouse, thus releasing it, that it will continuing moving in the direction I 'threw' it in. With a bit of practice and snapping enabled, I've got it so I can throw a window in any direction, with the right velocity so it 'snaps' to the side of the window it's moving towards with a satisfying wobble.  If I throw it harder it'll go right off the screen onto another workspace entirely. The whole thing reminds me of the concept in Minority Report how tom cruise could grab a window, then throw it away when it was unwanted.

Then of course there's other fantastic little things, like I've got it so when I move a window it'll become 70% transparent, and reminds me of jelly with it wobbling away in such a happy nature. Being able to make a window wobble outwards when an error occured or it entered alert status (like an instant messenger IM) instead of just flashing. That tied together with getting windows to 'always in visible pane' and 'always ontop' make the whole virtual desktop concepts really great.

Here's an idea for a little plugin I think could be pretty cool, added together with the throwing windows concept, if you throw a window to one side of the screen, it'll detect that it's moving without the mouse event moving it, then start shrinking until it's maybe 1/50th the original size, and fit itself in a little square on the side you threw it. If it's a video then that video would continue to play in the tiny square.

A lot of it is just eye candy, but the plugin concepts at least promotes the idea of more plugins to be created, which could (and I believe will) lead to very different ways of interacting with a computer.
    I'm looking forward to vista, so I can test out the gui in it, but I doubt I'll have the power to configure stuff like that for quite awhile.

• User profile image
    Erisan

Harlequin wrote:

Yes there are a lot of different kind of windows managers and desktops.
    For example Symphony OS

DL.TV - Xgl vs Vista

Personally I think that AIGLX is way to go...

When distros start to ship Xgl/AIGLX/etc. by default I'm sure we will see a lot of nice and useful effects. It will bring some nice competition between distros also.

• User profile image
    snoops

Erisan wrote:

Harlequin wrote:

For example Symphony OS

DL.TV - Xgl vs Vista

When distros start to ship Xgl/AIGLX/etc. by default I'm sure we will see a lot of nice and useful effects. It will bring some nice competition between distros also.

Just watched that dl.tv episode.. Pretty boring to be honest..Didn't see them comparing Vista side by side either.. which is what is needed for a comparison like that. I recommend people check out the xgl/compiz youtube videos to see a bit more functionality built in. Like the 'expose' and new task switcher, snapping windows, switching desktops, manipulating windows (set one on top, put transparency to 70, set so it follows you from viewpane to viewpane etc). I haven't tried AIGLX yet, because nvidia and the newer ati cards aren't supported. I've read though Compiz should be able to work with AIGLX further along with the development.

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

snoops wrote:

Erisan wrote: 
    Harlequin wrote:

For example Symphony OS

DL.TV - Xgl vs Vista

Just watched that dl.tv episode.. Pretty boring to be honest..Didn't see them comparing Vista side by side either.. which is what is needed for a comparison like that. I recommend people check out the xgl/compiz youtube videos to see a bit more functionality built in. Like the 'expose' and new task switcher, snapping windows, switching desktops, manipulating windows (set one on top, put transparency to 70, set so it follows you from viewpane to viewpane etc). I haven't tried AIGLX yet, because nvidia and the newer ati cards aren't supported. I've read though Compiz should be able to work with AIGLX further along with the development.
    I don't mean to be ignorant (but I will be lazy!)...how do you go about getting XGL? Can it work with older distros? I'll have to do some wikipedia-ing.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.