Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

SlackmasterK has some Competition

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.aspx?articleid=780&cid=3

The short and sweet of it:  4 PCIe slots.  While they won't, yet, allow quad SLI, they will allow 8 simultaneous monitors to run at the same time.

The ruthless one-upmanship stings like a sweaty leather glove of challenge Smiley

To quote "Spinal Tap":  Smell the Glove.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Sweet, the first thread someone else has ever started about me... And quite possibly the first time someone didn't misspell my name.

As for your link, sweet.  As soon as I get some money... Though I was thinking about buying a few old Matrox Quattro cards...  Why are none of these pics of the board itself?  *distraction* ooh, quad PCI Express...

Also just to point out... I never said any old schmoe can't expand their workspace.  Hell, I even wrote an eBook tutorial I sold online awhile back. The problem is, people just don't do it.  Why?  I dunno.

• User profile image
    Angus

SlackmasterK wrote:
    And quite possibly the first time someone didn't misspell my name.

I've done that before, I usually miss off the 'c' in 'Slack', I'll try better next time Tongue Out

But that system really looks good, I think something similar was on http://www.tomshardware.com recently.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Recently I saw a rig running 12 linux servers with dual monitors, networked together to play Quake 3 on a matrix of 8x3=24 monitors.  Was that a post here?  I'm too lazy, busy, hungry, and lazy to check.  But most of all lazy.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

SlackmasterK wrote:
    Recently I saw a rig running 12 linux servers with dual monitors, networked together to play Quake 3 on a matrix of 8x3=24 monitors.  Was that a post here?  I'm too lazy, busy, hungry, and lazy to check.  But most of all lazy.

http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=171234

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

That's the one.  In my defense, I've only spent <$200 on monitors.  I know how to get em free n cheap.

• User profile image
    Tyler Brown

SlackmasterK wrote:
    That's the one.  In my defense, I've only spent <$200 on monitors.  I know how to get em free n cheap.
    Do share. I've recently purchased a 17 inch flatscreen monitor to replace my current 17 inch CRT monitor. I would have gone with a 19 inch screen, but on my student budget I couldn't afford it. I was able to get my next monitor from the vendor that supplies the doctors office my parent works at.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

SlackmasterK wrote:

My primary CRT cost me £350, it worked perfectly for a year before Stardock's BootXP program caused my graphics card to go haywire and send bad degauss signals down the DDI channel, causing my monitor to, in effect, break itself.

It was replaced with a refurbished monitor (I did ask them about upgrades or getting a "new" replacement but they declined), I forgot to uninstall the BootXP program so I accidentally fried that monitor too.

The second replacement was broken on arrival, it was stuck on the red channel, I've been using the 3rd replacement monitor for 18 months now with no quarlms. (But I still would have preferred a brand-new monitor, I don't know if I could go to a LAN party with a "Refurbished" sticker still on the back of my CRT).

My secondary CRT cost me £90, it's an old-style dot CRT (but flat), the Trinitron-derivative CRTs were about £50 more.

And I'm sticking with CRT until I see 4ms TFT displays available for an acceptable price.

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

W3bbo wrote:
    And I'm sticking with CRT until I see 4ms TFT displays available for an acceptable price.

My dad just today sent me an ad for a Samsung 19" TFT monitor with a 2ms response time for €349.

For me however the main factor in my decision to stick with CRT is not response time, but colour accuracy. Movies just look washed out to me on an LCD. And yes, I have this exact same complaint about expensive (>€3000) LCD (and to a much lesser extent plasma) TVs.

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Tyler Brown wrote:
    Do share. I've recently purchased a 17 inch flatscreen monitor to replace my current 17 inch CRT monitor. I would have gone with a 19 inch screen, but on my student budget I couldn't afford it. I was able to get my next monitor from the vendor that supplies the doctors office my parent works at.

I've shared here many times, but I'll tell you again.  About 20 miles north of my home, there's a computer hardware recycling plant.  People drop off their old trash, this guy melts it down and sells the materials. He has about 15,000 sq ft of indoor space filled, and another 20,000 outdoors due to lack of space in his old warehouse. People drop stuff off by the truckload.  I used to go up there, fill up the car, test everything, bring the broken stuff back, rinse, wash repeat.  Then I lost my license (ran out of points again) and car (repo)... I got two 20"-viewable CRTs with old joystick port-looking inputs.  Fortunately the other ends of the cables were VGA. The two averaged ~80lbs.

As for getting them on the cheap, local thrift stores here sell 'em around a buck an inch; I got a 15" viewable for $15. I also found a 17" viewable LCD at a garage sale for $50, which was still in stores for $200 at the time. 

When I was on Okinawa, I had none of this good fortune.  I found it was cheaper to buy a new one from Tennessee and have it shipped to my Japanese address than it was to buy one locally.  That's how Japanese industry works!

• User profile image
    Angus

I am really looking into getting another BenQ T903 monitor for my PC, I have a dual monitor set up now and find it really helpful, I mean who wouldn't like to have a conversation on one window, and Channel 9 on the other?

Sadly the model is discontinued, and surprisingly the price is still over £280 in some places, but I think if I can get it in the coming months I will be able to use the dual monitor set up much more effectively.

Angus Higgins

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

hey SlackmasterK you love hardware or are a gammer?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Ion Todirel wrote:
    hey SlackmasterK you love hardware or are a gammer?
    I love hardware, and I'm a gamer.  Now before you go and throw me on the metaphysical pile of hardcore shoot-em-up types, I don't usually play FPS's.  Indeed, I am usually more inclined to the Real Time Strategy types like Starcraft, Diablo 2, Civilization, etc.  However, I do play Counterstrike: Source from time to time.

As for the monitors, well, I just found a good way to increase desktop space, that's all.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.