Coffeehouse Thread

26 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

MP3 problems

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Hockey Mom

    I am technically challenged and learning from every mistake that I can make.

    My son(age 10) has asked me to download songs to a MP3 for him. I have downloaded songs before, and burnt them to a disc, but, I have been unable to transfer them to a MP3 player.

    I am running Windows XP on my computer, and all the instructions have stated that I don't need to install the driver for the USB cable. The system doesn't seem to recognize the cable when connected, as it does not show as an external harddrive anywhere. Now, I could be missing it,but, I don't know where else to look?

    Help anyone!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    "download a song to a MP3"?

  • User profile image
    Hockey Mom

    I am trying to download music from Limewire and then put it on a MP3 player. I am new at all of this, and I am searching all available information to bring my computer knowledge up to par.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    I am trying to download music from Limewire and then put it on a MP3 player. I am new at all of this, and I am searching all available information to bring my computer knowledge up to par.


    When the MP3 player is switched on and the cable attached to both the computer and the MP3 player, what happens? Is anything added to the drives list in My Computer?

  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    I am trying to download music from Limewire and then put it on a MP3 player. I am new at all of this, and I am searching all available information to bring my computer knowledge up to par.


    Hi, my name is the RIAA, can you walk this way to jail?

    Honestly it's the fastest way to jail now a days.

  • User profile image
    ScanIAm

    Cybermagellan wrote:
    Hockey Mom wrote: I am trying to download music from Limewire and then put it on a MP3 player. I am new at all of this, and I am searching all available information to bring my computer knowledge up to par.


    Hi, my name is the RIAA, can you walk this way to jail?

    Honestly it's the fastest way to jail now a days.


    Try what W3bbo said (plug the player into your USB port) and see what happens, but please, Please PLEASE make sure you own the songs you are transferring.

    The RIAA has no problem suing parents over the actions of their children.

  • User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

    What he said.

    And the MPAA will sue people's grandparents!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    That is, of course, assuming the thread-starter resides in territories under the *AA's juristiction. (USA, Canada (?), Puerto Rico, US Territories and Colonies, US Embassies, and US Military installations and aircraft carriers)

    Besides, they cannot sue you for merely downloading, you have to be knowingly distributing material. If you want to cover your áss disable uploading.

  • User profile image
    DoomBringer

    How about we just ignore that first part and help her out with her real problem....

    First: What kind of MP3 player is this?  Are you running Service Pack 2 for WinXP?

  • User profile image
    Hockey Mom

    Just to let you know, that I paid for the music I am trying to download. I did not get it for FREE!

  • User profile image
    Hockey Mom

    I am running XP with SP2. The MP3 player is Sanyo DMC-300. It advised me that I did not need to install any hardware for this player if I had Windows XP. As I said in my earlier post, I had a husband who did all of this for me, and now, it's just me and my son. Any help would be great!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    Just to let you know, that I paid for the music I am trying to download. I did not get it for FREE!


    Paying for Limewire Pro and other file-sharing apps doesn't mean you paid for the music. You paid to use a program that lets you access existing file-sharing networks where anyone is free to post anything they want.

    Now, if you're talking about something like iTunes, New Napster, or the various Walmart-esque WMA download shops then you're bound to run into problems.

    Just remember:

    iPods can't play WMA files from Microsoft-friendly download shops
    Windows Media devices can't play AAC files from iTunes Music Store
    All devices can play IIS MPEG Layer-3 audio files.

  • User profile image
    Hockey Mom

    See, I am learning. You have taught me something. But, even if I have a CD and want to put the music on my MP3 player, I'm still at a lost. I don't know how to get it done. I went to Microsoft's support page, and there is a few pages about troubleshooting with XP and USB cables. But, there again, it's not written for a novice. I have to print it off, and re-read it again. I need a class in computers 101.

  • User profile image
    joem83

    OK Hockey Mom as others said above, what happens when you plug the unit into your computer, do you hear a sound?  If you have WMP10 installed you should be able to go to the SYNC tab and send the files to the MP3 player without any problem.  The MP3 player should also had a drive into mycomputer.

    Please tell use if any of the above works, and if not what exactly happens.

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    I am running XP with SP2. The MP3 player is Sanyo DMC-300. It advised me that I did not need to install any hardware for this player if I had Windows XP. As I said in my earlier post, I had a husband who did all of this for me, and now, it's just me and my son. Any help would be great!

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    See, I am learning. You have taught me something. But, even if I have a CD and want to put the music on my MP3 player, I'm still at a lost. I don't know how to get it done. I went to Microsoft's support page, and there is a few pages about troubleshooting with XP and USB cables. But, there again, it's not written for a novice. I have to print it off, and re-read it again. I need a class in computers 101.


    Before we begin, I'll need to know a few details:

    • Manufacturer, Brand, and Model of your MP3 player
    • Online service where you are obtaining these songs from
    • The CD you are attempting to copy to your MP3 player (a process known as "ripping" followed by "synching")
      • I need to know this because certain CDs have copy-protection technology that prevents you from exercising your Fair Use rights

  • User profile image
    Hockey Mom

    Ok, I do hear a sound,but, that's it. The MP3 display lights up, and states the the USB is connected.

    I went into My Computer, and no additional drivers show up. Everything is the same as it was before I plugged in the USB cable.

  • User profile image
    Hockey Mom

    Okay, the MP3 is a Sanyo DMC-300. At the moment, the online service I have been using is Limewire Pro. I have not attempted to copy any of my CDs, as I thought I would try to download music first. I was told that finding the songs would be the hard part, and downloading them to the MP3 player would be easier. This is certainly an exercise in patience.

  • User profile image
    W3bbo

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    Okay, the MP3 is a Sanyo DMC-300.


    Okay, so you're using a Windows Media device, that's step one cleared.

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    At the moment, the online service I have been using is Limewire Pro.


    I thought so; you cannot legally use Limewire Pro to download copyrighted material with explicit permission from the copyright holder.

    The RIAA is trying to get Limewire shut down, BTW.

    Hockey Mom wrote:
    I have not attempted to copy any of my CDs, as I thought I would try to download music first. I was told that finding the songs would be the hard part, and downloading them to the MP3 player would be easier. This is certainly an exercise in patience.


    The word is "transferring" or "uploading" them to your MP3 player, there's quite a difference between "downloading", "uploading", and "transferring", for the sake of protocol.

    Can you send us a screenshot of your My Computer window when you have the Sanyo player connected and powered on? (i.e. when it says it's connected)

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.