Coffeehouse Thread

22 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Google Acquires 3D Design Program

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    arunpv
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

If Microsoft keeps sleeping, Microsoft will be in a whole lot of trouble

• User profile image
    Minh

3D buildings for Google Earth, or Google Maps. Hmmm... interesting...

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

What good would this do?

• User profile image
    JeremyJ

Lets see how fast Google can run out of money...

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

umm... Google Earth already has 3D buildings...  only in a very select few places... and godawful ugly ones... ooh these new ones are nice, someone should buy them.

• User profile image
    arunpv

I Installed it and tried and it looks good. my guess is its going to be Google 3D web-based designer.Cool

Its simple and nice.

• User profile image
    eddwo

arunpv wrote:
    I Installed it and tried and it looks good. my guess is its going to be Google 3D web-based designer.

Why do people always assume they will make everything they buy web-based? Is Picassa being converted to be web-based?
    SketchUp is already cross-platform, Windows and Mac, and is built on OpenGL. But the things it does could not really be recreated with JavaScript.

With years of work you might make something approaching it using the <Canvas/> tag SVG and XUL. But it would be a nightmare trying to get cross-browser compatibility.

Some things are just better left to being "rich client" applications, and 3D modelling is one of those things.

• User profile image
    eddwo

I was just gonna say that the only 3D design program I really liked was SketchUp. Then I flick over to the story and it IS SketchUp they have bought!.  Smiley

If the make that free like they have done with Keyhole and Picassa I'll be amazed. SketchUp is really cool because you can make 3D models just the way you would draw them on isometric paper. It uses inferencing to make sure the lines you draw end up on the right plane so you don't need to view from every angle to make sure you are getting what you intend.
    As a non-professional its a much easier way to make things than building them up from simple geometries and merging them together.

I was just thinking SketchUp was one of those bits of software that is seriously impressive, and I would probably have bought it already if it wasn't £400 or I was actually an Architect and would use it comercially.

Now if only it could export models direct to Xaml!

• User profile image
    arunpv

eddwo wrote:
    arunpv wrote: I Installed it and tried and it looks good. my guess is its going to be Google 3D web-based designer.

Why do people always assume they will make everything they buy web-based? Is Picassa being converted to be web-based?
    SketchUp is already cross-platform, Windows and Mac, and is built on OpenGL. But the things it does could not really be recreated with JavaScript.

With years of work you might make something approaching it using the <Canvas/> tag SVG and XUL. But it would be a nightmare trying to get cross-browser compatibility.

Some things are just better left to being "rich client" applications, and 3D modelling is one of those things.

Agreed. Then why did they change Keyhole software to web-based Google Earth. Hey, you never know whats coming.
    I have seen Goolge when they buy a company, they make it web-based because very simple - "AdSense". Money baby money.

Google is strong only on the Internet and thats where they make money. If they leave it as a rich client then whats the point in buying this software? makes you think isn't given their track record;)

• User profile image
    eddwo

Looks like it will be used for creating buildings in Google Earth. @Last have already developed a plugin that exports models to KML format.

Google Campus created with sketchup.

• User profile image
    fredruiyizh​ang

Google said: Hey, we have yet another toy for you geeks.

That's right, a toy. They bought a lot of toys for making Google buzz running. Don't stop, if nobody hypes about Google anymore, they will die very fast. Why? Because their business model is based on attentions.

• User profile image
    arunpv

eddwo wrote:
    Looks like it will be used for creating buildings in Google Earth. @Last have already developed a plugin that exports models to KML format.

Google Campus created with sketchup.

There you go.... i was right. When a big company buys a small company they always see how to get revenue.(exclude Microsoft,they just buy because Google is buying and leave it there so they can prevent Steve B from throwing chairs from the building:D)

• User profile image
    eddwo

They didn't make Keyhole web based. Google Earth is still "rich client". Google Earth is still basically the Keyhole application with a fairly minor UI tweak.

Now they have also made the original Keyhole image database available in Google Maps as an alternative layer, but the program itself is relatively unchanged.

• User profile image
    arunpv

eddwo wrote:
    I'm getting as [scared/sick] of Google as the next person. But it doesn't change the fact that SketchUp always was and will continue to be a very cool piece of software that more people ought to get to experiance.

Get over it....Wink

• User profile image
    eddwo

I'm getting as [scared/sick] of Google as the next person. But it doesn't change the fact that SketchUp always was and will continue to be a very cool piece of software that more people ought to get to experiance.

@Last are saying they do not expect the price of the SketchUp application to change with this aquisition.

Perhaps Google will release a free cut down version that can only be used to create KML models. Then get everyone to model their own house or business and submit them to be included in the Google Earth database.

Wham, an instant 3D model of the most of the most densely populated parts of the world. Its got to be a lot cheaper than sending out thousands of trucks with LIDAR scanners to make their 3D maps.

• User profile image
    Karim

fredruiyizhang wrote:
    Google said: Hey, we have yet another toy for you geeks.

That's right, a toy. They bought a lot of toys for making Google buzz running. Don't stop, if nobody hypes about Google anymore, they will die very fast. Why? Because their business model is based on attentions.

Yeah, but even THAT gets old after a while.

It was interesting at first, because they were throwing a lot of different ingredients into their mix:

1 pound flour
    3 eggs
    1 cup sugar

and everyone was like, "YEAH!  Google's cookin' up somethin' good!!!" And Google kept adding ingredients:

1/2 cup chicken, diced into cubes
    6 ounces dark chocolate
    1 jalapeno

and everyone was like, "YEAH!  We have no idea what the hell they're cookin', but it's gonna be good!!"  And Google kept adding ingredients:

6 pounds bleu cheese
    pinch titanium dioxide
    dash Tabasco

and everyone went, "Yeah... well, it's PROBABLY gonna be good, who else uses titanium dioxide?  It's gotta be good..."  And Google kept adding:

1 blue M&M
    1 green M&M
    2 used gym socks, shredded

and everyone went, "Yay!  M&Ms!  Who doesn't like M&Ms!" while kind of ignoring the gym socks...

But after a while, won't it be obvious?  There IS no Master Plan, it's NOT all going to magically come together at the last minute, they DON'T know what they're doing....  How long will the addition of another "ingredient" keep us all entranced?

• User profile image
    Karim

eddwo wrote:
    Perhaps Google will release a free cut down version that can only be used to create KML models. Then get everyone to model their own house or business and submit them to be included in the Google Earth database.

Wham, an instant 3D model of the most of the most densely populated parts of the world. Its got to be a lot cheaper than sending out thousands of trucks with LIDAR scanners to make their 3D maps.

Interesting idea, but would Google do any sort of verification that the people submitting models actually own the property, or that the model has some resemblence to reality?

Otherwise, Company A is going to upload a model of Company B's headquarters that makes it look like a slum, or an abattoir... people will upload giant phallic symbols in lieu of buildings, they way they do in Second Life... there'd be no connection between what people upload and the real world...

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.