Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Linux distros for the Power Mac

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

Any good ones?  I have used Yellowdog before but was wondering about the SUSE, Ubuntu or any of the other various PowerPC's distributions.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Well I guess no one knows of any. 

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Ubuntu works great, better than yellowdog and fedora imo. It's well up to par with the x86 version (it's identical afaik).

Good luck
    /Dave

• User profile image
    TimP

Yellow Dog has the distinction of being called a "Value Added Reseller" by Apple. Other than that I'd go with whatever your favorite x86 distro is because most of them run on ppc too.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

Only reason they have that label is probably because they sell apple hardware. Their distribution is total crap and I find it _very_ hard to believe that Apple supports the distro. They don't even support hardware that the newer kernels support.

• User profile image
    ddewbofh

The ibook is a whole different deal, there's been a lot of issues with linux and the powermacs. One notable thing is that sound _still_ doesn't work properly on the powermac g5. They've been at it since the relase. Smiley

• User profile image
    Maurits

rjdohnert wrote:
    Well I guess no one knows of any.

This is a Microsoft forum.  Not a good place to ask about what versions of Linux run on Mac.  Furrfu.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

In case you havent noticed we do have some Linux users here and I was polling them for their best advice.  Im considering going to Linux on my iMac and iBook and going FreeBSD for my x86 desktops.

Maurits wrote:
    rjdohnert wrote: Well I guess no one knows of any.

This is a Microsoft forum.  Not a good place to ask about what versions of Linux run on Mac.  Furrfu.

• User profile image
    cyber_rigger
  • User profile image
    Cairo

rjdohnert wrote:
    Any good ones?  I have used Yellowdog before but was wondering about the SUSE, Ubuntu or any of the other various PowerPC's distributions.

There's always NetBSD.

• User profile image
    Rossj

Or indeed OpenBSD or FreeBSD. I tried Ubuntu a few months back and it was okay, but I seem to recall some packages not having been ported to PPC at the time.

• User profile image
    Jonathan Monreal

rjdohnert wrote:

Gentoo Linux is pretty good if you allready know something about Linux or need to do some coding.  http://www.gentoo.org/ BTW the package CD does not contain the distribution, but the Gentoo Linux has PowerPC distributions.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.