Coffeehouse Thread

16 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

VISTA will be Released in the FALL?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !

http://blogs.msdn.com/conblog/archive/2006/03/14/550826.aspx

This is the year… the year that Microsoft releases the newest version of Windows.  We are targeting to make Windows Vista generally available in the second half of this year, and the exact delivery date will ultimately be determined by the quality of the product..  So what is so compelling that our customers would want to spend money upgrading to the Vista operating system?  Let’s take a quick look at all that Vista offers a small business.

• User profile image
    arunpv

a ! wrote:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/conblog/archive/2006/03/14/550826.aspx

This is the year… the year that Microsoft releases the newest version of Windows.  We are targeting to make Windows Vista generally available in the second half of this year, and the exact delivery date will ultimately be determined by the quality of the product..  So what is so compelling that our customers would want to spend money upgrading to the Vista operating system?  Let’s take a quick look at all that Vista offers a small business.

I am not buying if they include less than 5 themes..Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Sampy

Define theme.

• User profile image
    arunpv

Sampy wrote:
    Define theme.

Pay me first i will give you a CTP version and once all payment is made I will deliver the Themes with bugs in it.Wink

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Sorry, wasn't this posted this very morning?

• User profile image
    qatal

If that thing that draws pictures of your network and what's broken where, ACTUALLY WORKS, I'll buy it.

If they include even one theme that looks like a 14-year-old designed it (Glassy Aero Buttons, anyone?), I might rescind that commitment though.

From the look of the betas, the vista philosophy is more or less "Everyone has lots of cycles now, and fast GPUs, so we can bloat the hell out of the shell and noone will complain. After all, the average user doesnt flinch when their start menu takes 5 seconds to pop up, and their machine half an hour."

Use the GPU for something useful, if you assume its existence. Like massively parallel disk index maintenance.

Just my 2c.

-Chris

• User profile image
    ZippyV

Sampy wrote:
    Define theme.

The current Aero interface. Not counting the classic or non glass mode.
    We need more themes and allow users to create a theme themselves.

• User profile image
    AdityaG

qatal wrote:
    If that thing that draws pictures of your network and what's broken where, ACTUALLY WORKS, I'll buy it.

If they include even one theme that looks like a 14-year-old designed it (Glassy Aero Buttons, anyone?), I might rescind that commitment though.

From the look of the betas, the vista philosophy is more or less "Everyone has lots of cycles now, and fast GPUs, so we can bloat the hell out of the shell and noone will complain. After all, the average user doesnt flinch when their start menu takes 5 seconds to pop up, and their machine half an hour."

Use the GPU for something useful, if you assume its existence. Like massively parallel disk index maintenance.

Just my 2c.

-Chris

You obviously have no idea what you are talking about.

1. XP Luna may look childish, but it my opinion it was very functional. Everything was clearly color coded. The red X was clearly visible, the green start button was the same. etc. A lot of it preference but it certainly wasn't a 14 year old's design.

2. You can't do much with a GPU. You can't maintain a disk index with your GPU or use it to do so. A GPU can only do simple arthemetic stuff FAST. But that's about it. That's why in windows right now, most of the time, the GPU isn't used (unless you are playing video or a game). Using the GPU for the interface is a much better idea because now you can use your CPU power for other things (even disk index maintainance!). Basically right now, you are rendering the whole UI in "software renderer mode" (not really.. but thats the concept).

Cheers,
    Aditya

• User profile image
    brian.​shapiro

I never thought the color scheme with Luna were the problem, I thought  some of the contrasts of colors, like yellow on blue on the taskbar, were nice. What I minded was that a lot of the rest of the interface was goofy and "clownish". A good example of this is icons, like where now the messenger icon has arms hanging down on the side, or how icons were tilted on menus, or how the start menu looked. I designed my own visual style based on Luna, where I toned down certain colors, based the design of the start menu on the "Watercolor" start menu, toned down the color in the notification area, changed the start button to a regular style (but green) button, and made the title bars and close/minimize/maximize buttons smaller. I kept the color contrasts. What I ended up was a very sophisticated and minimalistic looking visual style, which I called 'fishtank' because the contrasts reminded me of a tropical aquarium. I then made differenet color variations of this based on different types of tropical fish. Unfortunately, I lost my visual style, since then I tried to recreate it but had problems compiling, and then later lost interest.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

PaoloM wrote:
    Sorry, wasn't this posted this very morning?

Like I've said, "a !" has to be a bot or something...

I just wonder who runs it.

• User profile image
    CoLD FiRe

AdityaG wrote:
    qatal wrote: If that thing that draws pictures of your network and what's broken where, ACTUALLY WORKS, I'll buy it.

Just my 2c.

-Chris

1. XP Luna may look childish, but it my opinion it was very functional. Everything was clearly color coded. The red X was clearly visible, the green start button was the same. etc. A lot of it preference but it certainly wasn't a 14 year old's design.

2. You can't do much with a GPU. You can't maintain a disk index with your GPU or use it to do so. A GPU can only do simple arthemetic stuff FAST. But that's about it. That's why in windows right now, most of the time, the GPU isn't used (unless you are playing video or a game). Using the GPU for the interface is a much better idea because now you can use your CPU power for other things (even disk index maintainance!). Basically right now, you are rendering the whole UI in "software renderer mode" (not really.. but thats the concept).

Cheers,
    Aditya

I’m in a hell of a rush but I thought I would just quickly say that you are VERY wrong!
    GPU's are VERY VERY effective at doing parallel database quires and indexing.
    Infact I think its WGF 2.0 that’s going to be incorporating the ability to use your GPU to do non graphic process.

There heaps on this in the open source communities.
    I'll provide you with resources about this later on.

• User profile image
    a !

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,1937668,00.asp

Microsoft has pushed back its plans to support a new type of PC firmware, called UEFI, or United Extensible Firmware Interface, which has begun working its way into the PC market.

• User profile image
    andur

CoLD FiRe wrote:
    AdityaG wrote:
    qatal wrote: If that thing that draws pictures of your network and what's broken where, ACTUALLY WORKS, I'll buy it.

Just my 2c.

-Chris

Cheers,
    Aditya

I’m in a hell of a rush but I thought I would just quickly say that you are VERY wrong!
    GPU's are VERY VERY effective at doing parallel database quires and indexing.
    Infact I think its WGF 2.0 that’s going to be incorporating the ability to use your GPU to do non graphic process.

There heaps on this in the open source communities.
    I'll provide you with resources about this later on.

Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work as well as you think it would. You can only send limited types of data to the GPU and retrieve limited data back (though techinically, with sm4 you could do some really funky things in the geometry shaders). So you are wasting time converting things into vertex streams, textures, and shader constants, which of course is burning CPU cycles.

Database queries seem really pointless to me, since the GPU can't directly access your harddrive, so you'd be reading in the data on your CPU, shovelling it across the AGP/PCI-E bus to your GPU, shovelling it back to system memory, processing the results on your CPU and then writing the results back to disk.

Your GPU is also optimized for processing vertices and pixels, and not general computations. GPU clock rates are also quite pathetic compared to any decent CPU, my Radeon 9100 for example runs at 400 mhz (yes, I know its an older card, I'm waiting for the Dx10 cards to finally be released). Looking at the latest specifications, the Radeon X1900 is still only running at 650 mhz, though granted its memory clock rate is 1.55 ghz (http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1900/specs.html)

I'm not saying it is impossible to do this kind of thing, I know that it very well is possible, but its not exactly the most efficient way of doing things. You are just plain better off buying a dual-core CPU. I think we will be better off with the interface being rendered on the GPU, passing off the load from the software renderer and hopefully freeing up CPU time as a result. (though the Windows Gui really doesn't eat much CPU power at all).

In my experience with the Vista beta's so far, is that they are considerably faster than my Xp machine. I get about a 10% fps boost in my graphics engine, without doing any sort of recompile or fiddling at all. The interface isn't sluggish at all, and is virtually identical to Xp in terms of responsiveness.

Still, I would be interested in seeing these resources that you mentioned.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Because Microsoft needs to maintain control of the user experience I think theming will not be allowed.  I do expect Microsoft to allow things like color scheme changing, icon installations and sound schemes.  Customizations like that, I expect them to go through with that.

• User profile image
    a !

http://techrepublic.com.com/2300-10877_11-6043696-1.html

With the release of Build 5308 Windows Vista moved to "feature complete" status, which means no new features will be introduced into future builds leading up to the Vista launch at the end of 2006. Thus, we've put together this extensive 62-image gallery of the new features in Windows Vista, based on Build 5308.

• User profile image
    Stitch 2.0

The interesting thing is, that if you use the search on that blog to find the article, it says not only "this fall" but is even more accurate:

SearchResult wrote:
    Posted By: Greg Randall(grandall@microsoft.com)Date: March 13, 2006 This is the year… the year that Microsoft releases the newest version of Windows. Yes, Vista will be released in November of this year. So what is so compelling that our customers would want to spend money upgrading to the Vista operating system? [...]

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.