Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Managed DirectX games on Xbox 36o

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    androidi

my team and the XNA team within Xbox, have been burning the midnight oil to allow us to demonstrate the feasibility of games written in managed code running on a .NET CLR on a final 360 dev kit. And I know that we’ve demonstrated the same game binary (almost the same; oh so close) running on the 360 kit, Windows and on Windows Mobile.

(from http://blogs.msdn.com/mikezintel/archive/2006/03/14/550958.aspx through http://blogs.msdn.com/tmiller/archive/2006/03/14/551384.aspx)

• User profile image
    andur

Awesome!!!!! Now, I just need to get myself a 360 dev kit...

• User profile image
    eddwo

Thats pretty cool.
    They have a version of the CLR that can JIT to Xenon code !?!

They could open up the 360 to homebrew developers who could create typesafe managed code to run on the 360 without worring about compromising the no-unsigned-native-code security model !?!

You could potentially submit a finished project to Live Arcade and have an instant marketplace and distribution model for homebrew games !?!

Tell us more!

• User profile image
    andur

eddwo wrote:
    Tell us more!

Exactly my thoughts, video request!

• User profile image
    Minh

eddwo wrote:
    Thats pretty cool.

Most likely, they have a standard CLR running in an x86 emulator (most likely already installed on the XB360 for those Xbox1 games)...

• User profile image
    BryanF

This is great to hear. Ideally, we'd be able to run near-identical binaries across the desktop, mobile, media center and Xbox 360 environments; this sounds like significant progress in that direction. I suspect we'll hear more at the upcoming GDC; it would also be great to get interviews with members of the XNA teams to learn more about the cross platform initiatives as well as the enhancements coming to the development tools (XNA Studio, etc.).

Specifically, with the 360, I'm curious if any future plans would permit the hobbyist community to publish on Xbox, even if that meant strict sandboxing via CAS. It would be wonderful, for instance, if I could create a simple arcade style game and share it amongst a group of designated friends on Xbox Live.

I'm eager for details. Tongue Out
  • User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

Minh wrote:
    eddwo wrote:Thats pretty cool.

Most likely, they have a standard CLR running in an x86 emulator (most likely already installed on the XB360 for those Xbox1 games)...

What would stop them from writing a CLR to run on the 360?  Java runs on the PowerPC architecture.  That's the point of the CLR-- to have portability from processor architecture to processor architecture.

• User profile image
    BryanF

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    What would stop them from writing a CLR to run on the 360?  Java runs on the PowerPC architecture.  That's the point of the CLR-- to have portability from processor architecture to processor architecture.

The Xbox runs on a custom OS, which, if I recall correctly, runs everything in kernel mode, so porting is a non-trivial process.

This could be a huge step forward: it would make the 360 the first console capable of running managed code. Theoretically, Sony could do something similar with the PS3--in fact Java is tied to the BlueRay format, so the foundation may already be there.

• User profile image
    eddwo

Theres nothing to stop them creating a CLR to run on Xenon. The CompactFramework team came up with ones for ARM, SH3 and MIPS, the platforms supported by Windows Mobile. But it would be a pretty huge task for a small team to create in such secrecy.

• User profile image
    Minh

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    Minh wrote:
    eddwo wrote:Thats pretty cool.

Why re-write the CLR when you don't have to?

• User profile image
    Minh

BryanF wrote:

Specifically, with the 360, I'm curious if any future plans would permit the hobbyist community to publish on Xbox, even if that meant strict sandboxing via CAS. It would be wonderful, for instance, if I could create a simple arcade style game and share it amongst a group of designated friends on Xbox Live.

I'm eager for details.

I'm somewhat doubtful that this free ecology would ever happen. Remember that MS loses money for each Xb360 they sell. They can only make back their money through a cut of game sales. Plus, they have a HUGE interest in NOT having crappy games on Xbox Live.

The small guys can already sell on Xbox Live, but they still have to go through the gate keeper at MS.

• User profile image
    Gambit

C9 Video please Smiley

• User profile image
    Michael Klucher - MSFT

BryanF wrote:

This is great to hear. Ideally, we'd be able to run near-identical binaries across the desktop, mobile, media center and Xbox 360 environments; this sounds like significant progress in that direction. I suspect we'll hear more at the upcoming GDC; it would also be great to get interviews with members of the XNA teams to learn more about the cross platform initiatives as well as the enhancements coming to the development tools (XNA Studio, etc.).

I'm eager for details.

I hate posting links to my own stuff but here's some more information I posted yesterday on some of the stuff we're giving out at GDC. Take a look: http://blogs.msdn.com/mklucher/archive/2006/03/16/552355.aspx

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.