Coffeehouse Thread

15 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Sony delays PlayStation 3 launch

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Sabot

BBC News Website wrote:

The release of the much awaited PlayStation 3 (PS3) games console has been postponed until November, Japanese electronics group Sony has announced.

Technical hitches related to the console's Blu-ray DVD disc drive had forced the delay, Sony said.

Sony games chief Ken Kutaragi said they were still finalising agreements on disc copy protection technology.

Sony had been aiming for a spring launch for the successor to best-selling PlayStation 2.

The news was announced at a hastily convened news conference, after reports of a delay appeared in the Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Japan's main financial daily newspaper

Full story here.

• User profile image
    Tensor

The interesting thing to me is that they would rather release 6 months late, rather than realease with no / inadiquate DRM.

They are handing the XBOX a 6 months start over them rather than give up on DRM.

They really really REALLY want DRM.

• User profile image
    Yggdrasil

Tensor wrote:

What, Sony?
    Naaaaah.

• User profile image
    cravikiran

I wonder how much of an impact this has had on Xbox 360 sales - and will have in the coming months.  It'll be interesting to see how Xbox 360 marketing plays out now that theres a date.  What will MS release to steal the thunder?  Halo 3?  Oh right, it'll be done when its done.

• User profile image
    UlsterFry

Tensor wrote:

Maybe their orginal PS3 DRM solution screwed the machine over with rootkits Wink

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I personally think Nintendo's solution was much simpler and more elegant than any DRM solution they can put in:  DRM can be circumvented with bitwise copying, but a disc written backwards can't!

• User profile image
    Harlequin

Kind of silly, just like downloading movies, downloading games for consolues like PS2 is pretty much non-existant. They're wasting millions of dollars holding off on DRM which will not help them anyways. Mainly because they would not be affected at all if they did not include DRM.

How many people would go into IRC, take a week or more to grab all the parts of a movie or a game or something just to put it together(probably unsucessfully) Smiley

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

The PS3 will kill the XBox 360, PS3 is going to be 4D and will include the Linux OS.  Its going to be a winner, Microsoft just needs to hang it up now and find another venture.

• User profile image
    Arran

rjdohnert wrote:
    The PS3 will kill the XBox 360, PS3 is going to be 4D and will include the Linux OS.  Its going to be a winner, Microsoft just needs to hang it up now and find another venture.

They need to get it out of the door first.  By the time it ships 360 will have been out close to a year.

• User profile image
    NuTcAsE

hahaha...

PS3 will be powered by the Cell, Blue-Ray and apaprently a flux capacitor. You will have to run with it at 80mph, or get struck by lightning to play those suuper awesome 4D games....

• User profile image
    AndyC

NuTcAsE wrote:
    hahaha...

PS3 will be powered by the Cell, Blue-Ray and apaprently a flux capacitor. You will have to run with it at 80mph, or get struck by lightning to play those suuper awesome 4D games....

That's such FUD ...it's 88 mph Smiley

• User profile image
    Sampy

My console purchasing algorithm:

For Each game As VideoGame In World
       If game > WorldOfWarcraft Then
          game.Console.Buy()
       End If
    End For

WoW 4 Life!

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Mine is simpler:
    NOOP

Who needs consoles?

• User profile image
    TheNoot

NuTcAsE wrote:
    hahaha...

And just where do you expect to get the required 1.21 gigawatts of power from, Dr. Brown?
    Tongue Out

• User profile image
    Minh

Sven Groot wrote:
    Mine is simpler:
    NOOP

Who needs consoles?

NOP is simpler than NOOP. But I need my consoles.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.