SideBar for Windows XP

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    arunpv

Can someone tell me if Windows SideBar(part of Vista) is going to
    released for XP, if yes when?

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

I doubt it.  There is a hacked version of the Vista Sidebar just MSN or Google it.  I also know someone is planning a sidebar that will allow you to utilize gadgets as well.

arunpv wrote:
    Can someone tell me if Windows SideBar(part of Vista) is going to

• User profile image
    arunpv

rjdohnert wrote:
    I doubt it.  There is a hacked version of the Vista Sidebar just MSN or Google it.  I also know someone is planning a sidebar that will allow you to utilize gadgets as well.

arunpv wrote: Can someone tell me if Windows SideBar(part of Vista) is going to

Thanks. I googled it and this is what i got

http://www.desktopsidebar.com/

I don't know if its good. Why Microsoft can't make that available to XP.
    I am calling Eric Sch. and tell him to throw his chair on Steve B for this:D:D

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Here you go, it actually works quite well.  As generic sidebars go I like the DesktopSidebar that you had linked to.

• User profile image
    arunpv

rjdohnert wrote:
    Here you go, it actually works quite well.  As generic sidebars go I like the DesktopSidebar that you had linked to.

Thats pretty good. Here you go same question i ask. if they can hack Sidebar why not Microsoft release the damn thing for XP.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

It would, IMO make sense and be feasible for Microsoft to deliver it for XP.  They want upgrades to Vista and I doubt the entire arsenal would make it back to Windows XP.

arunpv wrote:
    rjdohnert wrote: Here you go, it actually works quite well.  As generic sidebars go I like the DesktopSidebar that you had linked to.

Thats pretty good. Here you go same question i ask. if they can hack Sidebar why not Microsoft release the damn thing for XP.

• User profile image
    arunpv

rjdohnert wrote:

I installed it and its sweet.... who cares if they release it for XP or not. I am fine i will stick to this.

• User profile image
    Harlequin

arunpv wrote:
    rjdohnert wrote: Here you go, it actually works quite well.  As generic sidebars go I like the DesktopSidebar that you had linked to.

I installed it and its sweet.... who cares if they release it for XP or not. I am fine i will stick to this.

Thanks

Ditto, it works with multiple monitors as well. Lost of these "sidebars" will only dock on monitor #1.

• User profile image
    jwfisher

Desktop Sidebar is pretty good - I've been using it for over a year - waiting for Microsoft to get it's own sidebar together.

I don't know much about where Desktop SideBar came from... but they jumped the gun and brought out a tool very much like what Windows Sidebar was originally intended to be. Including an extensive list of plug-ins.

It's a free download... and there is a stable version and unstable beta version (which blows up on me daily). The product has been pretty much dead for the past several months in terms of new versions or functions... obviously they are waiting to see what Microsoft is up to since they took MS's initiative and jumped on it more quickly.

I monitor over 80 RSS feeds with Sidebar - that is it's main purpose in life for me. It does a good job of this, and of organizing them all. I haven't see an example yet of Windows Sidebar handling that many - and it seems to require a whole lot more real estate space just to do a few. It does offer a bunch of other functions, including skins. Lots there for people to look thru.

I also do some performance monitoring of my system, and I get a weather report. Don't have much need for tons more... and I certainly don't care about a bunch of giant MS gadgets cluttering up my desktop. There is the question or ergonomics and usability to consider. Email and tasks stay in Outlook (2007) and work best for me there.

• User profile image
    arunpv

jwfisher wrote:
    Desktop Sidebar is pretty good - I've been using it for over a year - waiting for Microsoft to get it's own sidebar together.

I don't know much about where Desktop SideBar came from... but they jumped the gun and brought out a tool very much like what Windows Sidebar was originally intended to be. Including an extensive list of plug-ins.

It's a free download... and there is a stable version and unstable beta version (which blows up on me daily). The product has been pretty much dead for the past several months in terms of new versions or functions... obviously they are waiting to see what Microsoft is up to since they took MS's initiative and jumped on it more quickly.

I monitor over 80 RSS feeds with Sidebar - that is it's main purpose in life for me. It does a good job of this, and of organizing them all. I haven't see an example yet of Windows Sidebar handling that many - and it seems to require a whole lot more real estate space just to do a few. It does offer a bunch of other functions, including skins. Lots there for people to look thru.

I also do some performance monitoring of my system, and I get a weather report. Don't have much need for tons more... and I certainly don't care about a bunch of giant MS gadgets cluttering up my desktop. There is the question or ergonomics and usability to consider. Email and tasks stay in Outlook (2007) and work best for me there.

IIRC Sidebar was called Digital Dashboard i used it in Outlook 2000 or 97 it was really nice. then it stopped, i was looking all over the place and gave up. Google introduced it in their Desktop Search which pushed Microsoft reintrouce Sidebar in VISTA.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

I thought it was well known that the Sidebar will be available on XP too. Check Sean Alexander's blog for more info (october 2005 or something like that).

• User profile image
    arunpv

PaoloM wrote:
    I thought it was well known that the Sidebar will be available on XP too. Check Sean Alexander's blog for more info (october 2005 or something like that).

Well, they say one today and change things tommorrow. Things change and we can't blame the developers or manager but people above them who makes the decision.

• User profile image
    Jason Cox

PaoloM wrote:
    Same thoughts here. I'm betting we might see something around Beta 2 (April CTP?) of Vista.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

arunpv wrote:
    Well, they say one today and change things tommorrow. Things change and we can't blame the developers or manager but people above them who makes the decision.

So, tell me when did "they say one today and change things tommorrow" regarding the Sidebar?

The only new information we got since PDC03 is that Sidebar will ship not only on Vista but also on XP. We learnt this at PDC05.

• User profile image
    DCMonkey

I would guess that the Vista Sidebar uses the Glass APIs to draw its smoked glass background, so they'd need to replicate that using XP APIs.

I like the idea of a Sidebar. And I like the Vista Sidebar visually (thoug hthe horizontal positioning of the default widgets is a bit ragged). But there are a number of things I don't much like about the current incarnation in practice:

I don't like that it forces all of your gadgets to autoarrange from the top down. I'd like to put my trash gadget at the bottom separate from the rest. Maybe someone will implement a "spacer" gadget for that.

Dragging gadgets is way too sensitive. As soon as the top edge of a gadget overlaps another gadget, they swap positions. This makes it much easier to accidentally move a gadget up the sidebar by mistake. I think it would be better if they didn't move till the middle of the gadget overlaps the neighboring gadget. Also, a "Lock Gadgets" option would be nice.

The widgets gallery dialog is a GUG (Gratuitous use of Glass). I get the feeling we're going to see alot of this. Mac users sick of overuse of brushed metal will nod knowingly.

There's probably some others ,and there are bugs that will hopefully get fixed (z-order of tray icon popups like the volume slider being one that I've reported).

• User profile image
    NetRyder

Paolo's right. We even got a preview of an early Sidebar build running on XP SP2 during one of the PDC05 sessions last year. See the last picture in this post: http://netryder.osnn.net/pdc05/2005/09/windows-sidebar-and-gadgets.php

• User profile image
    arunpv

NetRyder wrote:
    Paolo's right. We even got a preview of an early Sidebar build running on XP SP2 during one of the PDC05 sessions last year. See the last picture in this post: http://netryder.osnn.net/pdc05/2005/09/windows-sidebar-and-gadgets.php

Cool.. I will take my words back.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Stay away from SmartBar XP, its a resource hogger.  I used it back in the day.

Comments closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums, or Contact Us and let us know.