Coffeehouse Thread

11 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Dell buys Alienware?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    W3bbo

Great, just what we need, more "home users" with pimped up rigs they don't know how to use.

Discuss.

• User profile image
    ScanIAm

It's kind of a good thing.  Alienware was IMHO the kind of 3rd party builders and now that they've been assimilated, there is room for new 3rd party people to expand into the territory.

(apologies to cybermagellan) It's kind of like when AOL bought up a bunch of small ISPs.  There was a certain techie demographic in the mid to late 90s that would never, ever sign up for AOL.  This allowed other ISPs to grow until they were at least competitors.

Dell got where they are for a reason, but I, personally would rather not buy from them.  Given the number of other mid-level pc machine builders, someone will take Alienwares business.

I remember when Alienware first started advertizing in gamer mags, I'd never heard of them, but they obviously built up from a small company.  Their niche was funky shaped boxes that looked like they were modded (to look like aliens).  Ultimately, though, they had access to the same hardware that all the other companies did.

iBuyPower, Northwest, and a few others are going to have a good year Smiley

• User profile image
    W3bbo

I think people buy Alienware to get away from the big-name OEMs (even though Alienware is a big OEM now). Anyone can start an OEM business, but you need something unique to get where Alienware, VoodooPC, and Falcon Northwest are today.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Dell says nope, not buying Alienware

• User profile image
    JohnAskew

Drats! I was hoping my Alienware might become a "collectible" laptop.

[6]

• User profile image
    arunpv

I am not buying UMPC. Anyone cares:D

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

arunpv wrote:
    I am not buying UMPC. Anyone cares

?

• User profile image
    arunpv

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    arunpv wrote: I am not buying UMPC. Anyone cares

?

Becoz, its not available yet...Wink

• User profile image
    Detroit Muscle

ricers.

• User profile image
    arunpv

Detroit Muscle wrote:
    ricers.

RICERS:

Any teenager or young adult who takes a japaneese import car, ususally a Honda, and adds relitivly cheap aftermarket parts that have no effect on engine performance. Such parts are aftermarket exhaust, intakes, wings, lights, and stickers. Most commonly added are NOS and VTEC Sitckers. When the hood is lifted however the engine isn't a VTEC and there is no Nitrous Oxide system Installed.

When challenged to a race ricers will almost always and laugh and drive away with there exhaust making you deaf for a tempary amount of time. On occasion a ricer will make the mistake of pulling up with the Rap blaring and ask a guy in a small low powered car to "rice" becasue they can't say race. The person will almost always decline the "rice" but if they accecpt they will win because the ricer drives his car in first gear only becasue it is louder than the higher gears.

I could beat any ricer in my rusty old corsica. Execpt

OR

RICERS:
    Young punks that dress themselves, and their cars, for 9 second runs down the quarter mile when in reality they can't break out of the 17's!
    Look at that ricer driving

I got a Honda but its clean and simple.Cool

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

arunpv wrote:
    CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    arunpv wrote: I am not buying UMPC. Anyone cares

?

Becoz, its not available yet...

But the thread's not about UMPCs.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.