Coffeehouse Thread

13 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

What gender is a computer?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    dsami

An English teacher was explaining the concept of gender association in the English language.

He stated how hurricanes at one time were given feminine names, and how ships and planes were usually referred to as "she." One of the students raised their hand and asked, "What gender is a computer"?

The teacher wasn't certain which it was, so he divided the class into two groups,
    males in one, females in the other, and asked them to decide if a computer should be masculine or feminine. Both groups were asked to give four reasons for their recommendation. The group of women concluded that computers should be referred to in the masculine gender because:

In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
    They have a lot of data, but are still clueless.
    3. They are supposed to help you solve your problems, but half the time they are
    the problem.
    As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had waited a little longer, you could have had a better model.

The men, on the other hand, decided that computers should definitely be referred to in the feminine gender because:

No one but their creator understands their internal logic.
    The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else.
    Even the smallest mistakes are stored in their long-term memory for later retrieval.
    As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.

Smiley

• User profile image
    Ion Todirel

very funny Smiley

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic. It was explained to me this way once...women feel 10X stronger impressions about things than guys.  Sometimes I agree, but a lot of the time it comes down to the fact that they "don't want to hurt anybody", which leads to really wacky decisions, especially in a relationship. Oh, and they seem to get some kind of perverse joy out of "testing you" at the most bizarre moments.  The classic line is "so, do I look fat?" At that point I'd rather drop a cement block on my foot and scream in agony but there never is a cement block handy.

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else. Oh, I dunno about that.  It gets a bit predictable after a while, even if you can't relate to it.

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in their long-term memory for later retrieval. See #1.  Deeper feelings = deeper memories? But, having been on the receiving end of having my past mistakes dredged up every fn time there is an argument, well...I'll tell you it does not work in reverse...if you, as a guy, bring up some little mistake from 10 years ago in an argument, she makes you pay for it. Nice double standard, eh?

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.Yep.  Or if you don't spend half your paycheck, you hear about it. This gets chalked up as "one of your long-term memory mistakes" sometimes. 

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Computers are females.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

rjdohnert wrote:
    Computers are females.

Then why do I have a male serial port?

• User profile image
    arunpv

Cornelius Ellsonpeter wrote:
    1. No one but their creator understands their internal logic. It was explained to me this way once...women feel 10X stronger impressions about things than guys.  Sometimes I agree, but a lot of the time it comes down to the fact that they "don't want to hurt anybody", which leads to really wacky decisions, especially in a relationship. Oh, and they seem to get some kind of perverse joy out of "testing you" at the most bizarre moments.  The classic line is "so, do I look fat?" At that point I'd rather drop a cement block on my foot and scream in agony but there never is a cement block handy.

2. The native language they use to communicate with other computers is incomprehensible to everyone else. Oh, I dunno about that.  It gets a bit predictable after a while, even if you can't relate to it.

3. Even the smallest mistakes are stored in their long-term memory for later retrieval. See #1.  Deeper feelings = deeper memories? But, having been on the receiving end of having my past mistakes dredged up every fn time there is an argument, well...I'll tell you it does not work in reverse...if you, as a guy, bring up some little mistake from 10 years ago in an argument, she makes you pay for it. Nice double standard, eh?

4. As soon as you make a commitment to one, you find yourself spending half your paycheck on accessories for it.Yep.  Or if you don't spend half your paycheck, you hear about it. This gets chalked up as "one of your long-term memory mistakes" sometimes. 

Oh god i hear echos......Wink

• User profile image
    Sven Groot

Computers are genderless, as far as I'm concerned.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Why? You guys thinking about taking it on a date? If so, it's bi-sexual.

Enjoy .... ?
    - Steve

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Computers could be considered hemaphrodites in that they have both male and female ports.  However, I'm inclined to agree with the genderless theory.

• User profile image
    Shark_M

Computers are not Living Organisms to have Sex or gender.
    They dont procreate. We make them, Pieces of Iron and silicon:D

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Don't forget aluminim; and, in the case of my unfortunately-heavy system, steel.  Why the hell did I buy a freakin' steel full tower?  Damn.

• User profile image
    arunpv

Computers are genderless agreed but their Behavior is somewhat close whom we see everyday;) guess?

• User profile image
    SlackmasterK

Their behavior is exactly what their programmers designed it to be.  It varies from programmer to programmer and from company to company.  When everything runs smoothly, they're more of a Vulcan Unic than a male or female stereotype.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.