Coffeehouse Thread

6 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Will Open Source Replace Beta Testing at Microsoft?

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    a !

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,2180,1938275,00.asp

Microsoft's Engineering Excellence unit, headed by 20-year company veteran Jon DeVaan, is overseeing a project to reengineer the way software is developed inside Microsoft. DeVaan, a member of Microsoft's central Business Leadership Team, manages the engineering standards used to create Microsoft's software products

• User profile image
    blowdart

Way to misread the article.

They're talking about frequent beta/CTP builds, which apparently are only a feature of open source (way to miss the whole agile "movement" there Mary)

However holding up VS2005 and SQL2005 as successes for the CTP process might annoy a few people who are not happy with the quality of those poducts. Not to mention the missing features.

• User profile image
    Mike Dimmick

I have a feeling that the lack of Avalon and Indigo builds for post-Beta 2 versions of .NET Framework 2.0 actually kept most people from testing the release candidates of VS and SQL Server 2005. It certainly stopped me from testing them - to the limited extent I was testing them.

Anyone else?

• User profile image
    Andrei P

Yesterday I was seeing "Microsoft moves to open source" titles degenerated from this story. It's incredible what people understand or want to understand from a story simple as this. Here's the accurate story: http://www.redmondtimes.com/news/12/Microsoft-may-give-up-beta-versioning

Basically they are giving up beta versions of the software in favor of frequent previews. Which I believe is a very good change.

• User profile image
    rjdohnert

Does Mary Jo Foley need another spanking? Tongue Out Big Smile

blowdart wrote:

They're talking about frequent beta/CTP builds, which apparently are only a feature of open source (way to miss the whole agile "movement" there Mary)

• User profile image
    blowdart

rjdohnert wrote:
    Does Mary Jo Foley need another spanking?

You know all she'll do is cut and paste something from this thread as a new "news article"

Big Smile

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.