Coffeehouse Thread

12 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Why Magnets and Power Don't Mix

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    Cybermagell​an
  • User profile image
    Karim

Geez I'm no arson investigator but that's really suspicious.

The guy says he left home with it plugged in, and that his cats must have disconnected it when it caught on fire.

Right.  Like a cat is going to see something arcing and smoldering and throwing sparks and then say to itself, "Meow, I'm going to meow run TOWARDS meow that and meow DISCONNECT it."

If you look at the large size pictures, you can see traces of some fibers on the plug and LOTS of fibers kind of wedged in the socket.

One of the comments asks if it's cat hair.

Columbo: Mrs. Columbo hates cigars.  She can't stand the smell.  She loves cats, though.  Loves 'em.

My guess is the guy's place is just covered in cat hair, he puts the power plug into the cat-hair-filled slot, doesn't stop to think cat hair might be slightly conductive.  At the end of the day he asks himself, "What is that smell?  Smells like... burning cat hair!" looks down at his MacBook Pro, yells in horror, yanks the plug out.

Instead of saying his house is disgustingly covered in cat hair, he claims he just left the house with it plugged in, and when he came back, it was unplugged (by the cats) and melted (by forces mysterious).

Me, I'll take the smell of burning tobacco over burning cat fur.

• User profile image
    ZippyV

What is Magsafe?

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

ZippyV wrote:
    What is Magsafe?

*pulls ZippyV out of hole*

It's the new power cable connector on the MacBook pro.  It's designed to detach if someone steps on your cable instead of taking your laptop with it.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

CannotResolveSymbol wrote:
    ZippyV wrote: What is Magsafe?

*pulls ZippyV out of hole*

It's the new power cable connector on the MacBook pro.  It's designed to detach if someone steps on your cable instead of taking your laptop with it.

It's also designed to keep you warm in the event you don't pay your gas bill

• User profile image
    Jorgie

Magsafe is their name for a power connector that does not use friction to keep it plugged in. It uses magnets.

The same thing has been available for home appliances like french-fryers for at least 5 years. (At least that is how long I have had my french-fryer that has one.)

Jorgie

• User profile image
    Karim

Columbo:  Looks like the guy removed the high-resolution pictures at the request of Apple.  That's interesting.

You know that "one more thing" Jobs does?  He stole that from me.  Yeah.

• User profile image
    W3bbo

Someone's copied the images somewhere already probably.

• User profile image
    rhm

Jorgie wrote:
    Magsafe is their name for a power connector that does not use friction to keep it plugged in. It uses magnets.

The same thing has been available for home appliances like french-fryers for at least 5 years. (At least that is how long I have had my french-fryer that has one.)

Jorgie

My first reaction when I saw Magsafe was: why didn't they just do what MS did with the Xbox controllers (have a weaker inline connector in the power cable)? It's really simple, really cheap and wouldn't have the problems that magsafe does, i.e. falling out all the time when you're not working on a desk. Oh, I know why. Because that wouldn't be "innovative" enough for Apple. Sod making products that work well - innovation is far more important.

• User profile image
    Cybermagell​an

Why aren't Mac users just smarter and watch where they are going? Or are they all busy just running around thier computers?

• User profile image
    Cairo

Cybermagellan wrote:
    Why aren't Mac users just smarter and watch where they are going?

Give the guy a break -- he's probably an AOL user.

• User profile image
    PaoloM

Cairo wrote:
    Cybermagellan wrote: Why aren't Mac users just smarter and watch where they are going?

Give the guy a break -- he's probably an AOL user.

Ooooo... snap!

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.