Coffeehouse Thread

14 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Selling Windows Vista

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    rjdohnert

For those of you that do have the privilege of influencing your decision makers at work, what would your selling point of Windows Vista be?  What is that 'gotta have' feature that you would use to seal the deal?

Also, how many of you plan to upgrade to Windows Vista at home?  or are you going to wait for that new PC purchase?

• User profile image
    cravikiran

We had some MS evangelists come by our University and do a presentation.  When something to this effect was asked, i.e., whats the killer feature to upgrade, the presenter (I forgot the name) was unsure at first.  But after a bit of strolling around, the answer seemed to be a better User Experience - things re-organized (Control Panel), minor things added to let you do things you could have done with XP but are a lot easier with Vista, things polished, etc.

Personally, I think the biggest selling point for MS in the Vista release cycle is not Vista itself but what you get with WinFX.  Lots of potential, esp. in redefining the Internet through the use of .NET and WinFX based Smart Clients, powered by WCF Web Services.  The selling point is probably going to be these apps.  But I see how this is not something to sell people on initially, and especially not end-users.

• User profile image
    blowdart

rjdohnert wrote:

Also, how many of you plan to upgrade to Windows Vista at home?  or are you going to wait for that new PC purchase?

I'll upgrade because it comes with my MSDN subscription.

Would I actually pay for the upgrade seperately? No.

• User profile image
    Khamul

I'll be custom building a new PC at the end of the year which I plan to run Vista on.

• User profile image
    Rowan

I really haven't seen anything from Vista that makes me want to buy it. However, if it happens to run apps more than a third faster than XP then maybe I'll decide to get it. Unfortunately, some OpenGL programs such as Blender 3D are supposedly unusable on Vista.

Otherwise, spending $350+ on something that won't really benefit me seems like a waste.

• User profile image
    fredruiyizh​ang

I'd like to get Vista as soon as it's available through MSDNAA. No cost at all for me. Even if I can't get it for free, I still feel like to buy it with my own hard cold cash.

• User profile image
    cheong

cravikiran wrote:

Personally, I think the biggest selling point for MS in the Vista release cycle is not Vista itself but what you get with WinFX.  Lots of potential, esp. in redefining the Internet through the use of .NET and WinFX based Smart Clients, powered by WCF Web Services.  The selling point is probably going to be these apps.  But I see how this is not something to sell people on initially, and especially not end-users.

And IE7, I'd like to add.

I *may* get it from with my next hardware upgrade. But as my PC just been upgraded for 1 year, it seems like the next upgrade will have to wait at least another year or so.

The eye-candies are good, and the system itself maybe, but not enough reason for upgrade immediately.

(The Builtin firewall has made WinXP /w SP2 a "must" for me, so what's the reason for the Vista?)

Recent Achievement unlocked: Code Avenger Tier 4/6: You see dead program. A lot!
    Last modified
  • User profile image
    Jason Cox

Just one gotta have feature? I'd have to go with LUA/UAP, the ability to protect the user from themselves and to get rid of the days where you have to explain to your boss why you had to reimage an employee machine in the middle of the day because they got in there and screwed something up or installed some garbage.

Myself, I plan on upgrading my laptop right on release and my desktop within 6 months, but I might be running Longhorn Server Beta on the desktop until that's done.

• User profile image
    blowdart

Jason Cox wrote:

Myself, I plan on upgrading my laptop right on release

And  then suffer in driver hell? Brave man.

I remember how long I had to wait for Toshiba to produce XP drivers for their Tecras. I can see it taking 6 months again, if not longer for Vista. And then there's logitech camera drivers and creative's mp3 player drivers.

right on release? insane!

• User profile image
    Larry​Osterman

cravikiran wrote:
    We had some MS evangelists come by our University and do a presentation.  When something to this effect was asked, i.e., whats the killer feature to upgrade, the presenter (I forgot the name) was unsure at first.  But after a bit of strolling around, the answer seemed to be a better User Experience - things re-organized (Control Panel), minor things added to let you do things you could have done with XP but are a lot easier with Vista, things polished, etc.

If this was really some MS person, they should be strongly corrected.

The one single biggest reason to get Vista is security.  Out-of-the-box, Vista is hugely more secure than XP.

It shows up in tiny little places - I noticed a security related feature on my laptop the other day, for example that I'd been asking for for years (I can't give bigger hints than that it's not yet announced). 

It's the little things that count, and they're everywhere.

• User profile image
    Cairo

rjdohnert wrote:
    For those of you that do have the privilege of influencing your decision makers at work, what would your selling point of Windows Vista be?  What is that 'gotta have' feature that you would use to seal the deal?

I don't plan to sell it at work. There seems to be no "gotta have" feature for the business environment. We upgraded to XP on our least hardware refresh, simply because it was the Current Version of Windows. It will be the same with Vista. The only version of Windows I ever pushed "early" (e.g., onto existing hardware) was Windows 2000 -- because 98 sucked and NT4 didn't support the hardware well.

We are considering purchasing Apple hardware on the next refresh, so dual-booting Vista on it would be a plus. Currently it will be no more bootable than XP on the MacIntels, according to Microsoft (e.g., no 32bit EFI support in Vista). Perhaps by then there will be 64-bit MacIntels and a dual-boot situation will be feasible. Ideally, though, we would be running Windows in a VM session or remotely via RDP, if we deploy Macs.

At home? No real plans to upgrade, but I know I will the next time I get a new PC. I doubt I would dual-boot my Mac with it, but I might run it in a VM session.

• User profile image
    Cairo

cravikiran wrote:
    redefining the Internet through the use of .NET and WinFX based Smart Clients,

Ick.

• User profile image
    Cannot​Resolve​Symbol

I'll probably upgrade shortly after Dell provides Vista drivers for my laptop.  The video's the most important issue--  ATI already has beta Vista drivers out, so Dell should be able to release their drivers promptly after release.  I'm not using a Creative card, so sound isn't an issue.

• User profile image
    Steve411

Update + Custom (probably).

- Steve

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.