Coffeehouse Thread

7 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

Damn! I would like to get my hands on O12 Beta Refresh!

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    littleguru

Is there a way for a niner to get in touch with the Office 12 Beta Refresh? Or is there any public beta coming along? Or is this refresh going to be published in MSDN Subscriptions?

• User profile image
    SimonJ

Anyone who has legitimate access to the Beta 1 should have already been notified of how to download Beta 1 Technical Refresh.

Beta 2 will be public and you can sign up for it here http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/default.mspx

I expect Beta Two to start in April or May at the latest but I could be wrong.

SimonJ

• User profile image
    irascian

SimonJ wrote:

Anyone who has legitimate access to the Beta 1 should have already been notified of how to download Beta 1 Technical Refresh.

I got the Beta 1 through having attended PDC (sent in the post) - not had any notification about how to download Beta 1 Technical Refresh.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    Deactivated User

Comment removed at user's request.

• User profile image
    irascian

Well thanks for the tip but I have no idea what account I might have  used 6 months ago, assuming it was an account on a slip of paper that was given us at the event.

EDITED TO ADD: In fact PDC attendees were never given an account for beta place. This is what they said in an email they sent out to PDC attendees:
    "Office "12" Beta 1 - as announced in Steven Sinofky's keynote, all PDC attendees will receive the Office "12" Beta 1 when it becomes available. You do not need to submit your name on the Microsoft Beta website, we will take care of the details for you! Office "12" Beta 1 will be sent to the mailing address you provided when registering for the PDC. "

Not that much of a biggie since I've not got enough hours in the day to really use all the CTPs and beta's that are around at the moment. Anybody else annoyed at how incompatible most of this stuff is with each other? The latest beta of Workflow (beta 2.2 - what on earth does that mean?!) won't even co-exist with WinFX runtime components?!! (and certainly not with Office 12 beta's).

And with MIX06 next week I'm sure we're all set for a deluge of new CTPs and beta bits any day now.

Not to mention the RTM of Team Foundation Server which is due in the next day or two - I just hope they don't make those of us on the 5-user "workgroup" edition wait longer for that version to show up on MSDN)

• User profile image
    irascian

I'm not going alas - too close to PDC and a long way to go for just 2.5 days and, so far as I can make out, not that much new since PDC other than it's the "luvvie" crowd more than the developer crowd that they're aiming at.

Never been to Las Vegas though so was tempted until I looked at my bank balance (must-stop-buying-toys!) I have no idea how Eagle can afford to go to as many events as he does unless he's independently wealthy!

All the new stuff will be available online anyway so I see it as mainly a social event. ISTR at PDC stuff like Atlas, Max etc were online literally as we were being told about them, although it's not quite the same as being there to get information first hand.

If they'd held it around September time frame I'd probably have gone though. All my work is in the ASP.NET web space and the client I've been working pretty much full time for the last 18 months is already looking at ATLAS, Sparkle, WinFX and Community Server (just bought a license for this myself - a steal at $179 but only until this Monday!) so this would have been pretty relevant and a chance to find out what others are doing.

I think the lack of any kind of beta of Quartz this late on is disappointing though - hopefully that will get fixed next week.

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.