Coffeehouse Thread

10 posts

Forum Read Only

This forum has been made read only by the site admins. No new threads or comments can be added.

New MS slogan: People _ Ready

Back to Forum: Coffeehouse
  • User profile image
    jamie

www.microsoft.com  (Flash openner)

main page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/business/peopleready/default.mspx

i like it.  simple.  no dinosaurs.  

( although i cant get rod stewart out of my head now..."people get ready...theres a train a comin'" Wink

• User profile image
    Cornelius Ellsonpeter

I don't know what to think of this. Although it is better than people with rubber dinosaur masks on their heads, the opening screen at Microsoft.com has a lot of vertical bar shapes in it.  Makes me think of a prison for some reason.

I think I need a vacation. lol

• User profile image
    Rossj

jamie wrote:
    i cant get rod stewart out of my head now.

Please try. It is for your own good.

• User profile image
    arunpv

jamie wrote:
    www.microsoft.com  (Flash openner)

main page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/business/peopleready/default.mspx

i like it.  simple.  no dinosaurs.  

( although i cant get rod stewart out of my head now..."people get ready...theres a train a comin'"

White Ghosts i see white ghosts and below i see Steve smiling at me:D

• User profile image
    Karim

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/steve/2006/03-16PeopleReady.mspx

Software, we think, is an important part of enabling people in a people-ready business. Software, in some senses, is the one tool that can really keep pace with people. It's an investment that has the flexibility and capacity to adapt as your people increase their capability. It's extensible, it's flexible. As your people have new ideas, software facilitates them going in new directions. People say to me all the time, Steve, I'm not sure our people use all of the capabilities that are there at their finger tips. They may not use it all, but as they grow and they develop, as they have new insights, as they have new things they want to get done, software is flexible enough to allow them to be the tool that allows them to continue to push, push on partner relationships, push with the customer, et cetera.

Sure, they might use only 8% of the features in Microsoft Office.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade to Office 12.  It's an investment

Software lets you find information that you need to gain insight, to take action. It enables process excellence. And in this day and age, increasingly it helps people work more flexibly anywhere and any time. To some that's a great advantage: I can work at a distance, I can live where I need to live, I cannot make the trip I need to make, I can handle a problem or exception late at night. To some people it's just a chance to work more hours. The good, the bad, and the ugly, so to speak, you get it all. Software is flexible enough to support all of this kind of work operation.

With Exchange 2003 plus Windows Mobile, you can give ALL your employees Blackberry-style, 24/7 email.  Who do you want to overwork today?

We have a concept we call in our development process persona. We have all of these personas, Joe the financial analyst, and Suzie the order entry clerk. We have about 110 personas that we've defined, that our software developers are using to drive innovation that really is people-ready in every sense.

One of those personas is called "Leeroy the janitor."  Now some people would protest being pigeonholed.  They'd say that personas are nothing but stereotypes.  Well, we've even got a persona for people who say stuff like that.

So I think IT must also accelerate and increase the intellectual productivity, which is our most valuable resource, our people. The systems we assemble must create a positive feedback loop that forces our teams to not only execute but to educate, change, propose, act, and evolve within, and ultimately reward our business with profit, while at the same time informing the business models themselves to capture progress made and foster change when needed.

[This Paragraph Generated with Microsoft Office 12 BS Generator.  Simple set the Type to "Presentation," and the style to "New Age Gibberish..."]

Do the tools exist to allow us to assemble this kind of system? Are the people there that if understood can be crafted together in such a way to achieve these goals?

No.  Of course they don't.  I'm sorry I even asked.

And you'll notice when I paste it, not only do we bring the data, we bring the connection to the data warehouse with us. I could actually use this live in the meeting, and we could actually have a great discussion, add some more elements of data to it, if my boss wants to go deep in one way, we can have a great business discussion rather than a very static view of this information.

Of course, it can be very tricky if you use dynamic, live charts in your presentation and they change while you are presenting, to contradict what you are saying...

Somebody calls, you want a full record, it's the person who's going to decide can I sell this person something else, can I serve them in a better way, can I extend our relationship, but information really is the empowering tool for that person to do their best job growing revenue, improving customer satisfaction just every day, absolutely every day.

Would you like fries with that?  [click click]  But sir, our records show that you've ordered fries 93.333% of the time in the past.  Are you sure you wouldn't like fries?  We just made a batch and they're really hot....

The people-ready business is the driver, the personas are the driver of our investment. And people do drive business outcomes. People, people, people.

Developers, develop -- oh... sorry.

• User profile image
    leighsword

Karim wrote:
    http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/steve/2006/03-16PeopleReady.mspx

Software, we think, is an important part of enabling people in a people-ready business. Software, in some senses, is the one tool that can really keep pace with people. It's an investment that has the flexibility and capacity to adapt as your people increase their capability. It's extensible, it's flexible. As your people have new ideas, software facilitates them going in new directions. People say to me all the time, Steve, I'm not sure our people use all of the capabilities that are there at their finger tips. They may not use it all, but as they grow and they develop, as they have new insights, as they have new things they want to get done, software is flexible enough to allow them to be the tool that allows them to continue to push, push on partner relationships, push with the customer, et cetera.

Sure, they might use only 8% of the features in Microsoft Office.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade to Office 12.  It's an investment.

Thanks for the link. Yes, I used to only 8% of the features in MS Office,  maybe less, but I still like a more powerful Office, imagine that one day you finished a document like you have did before, but your boss need the typesetting document(well format) for a more advanced customer, then today would be a bad day. You know, we are live in the tomorrow, which is not certain, so do ask are you ready?

• User profile image
    Karim

leighsword wrote:
    Karim wrote: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/exec/steve/2006/03-16PeopleReady.mspx

Sure, they might use only 8% of the features in Microsoft Office.  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't upgrade to Office 12.  It's an investment.

Thanks for the link. Yes, I used to only 8% of the features in MS Office,  maybe less, but I still like a more powerful Office, imagine that one day you finished a document like you have did before, but your boss need the typesetting document(well format) for a more advanced customer, then today would be a bad day. You know, we are live in the tomorrow, which is not certain, so do ask are you ready?

Well, I think I see your point -- you're echoing Ballmer's point, which was, "You never know when something new is going to come up."

True, I think that's just not a good reason to upgrade.  If they're using less than 10% of the application now, and something new comes up, some new requirement for some fancy formatting, well gosh, ok, NOW they're using 25% of the features instead of 10% Big Smile  It's more of an argument against downgrading (moving to OpenOffice or Writely) than it is an argument in favor of upgrading.

What I would have said is yeah, hardly anyone uses all of the capabilities they have now.  But Office 12  is going to make it easier to discover and use all those untapped capabilities.  The neglected 90% of features are going to be easily exploited now.  That's how you sell people an upgrade.

Just saying, "Who knows, someday, someone might want to use those untapped features" isn't a terribly persuasive argument for me to "invest" in Office 12.

Sorry, I'm just too much of a geek.  I'm all about the demo, show me something cool.  That stuff about "enabling people in a people-ready business" -- I mean, come ON.  You can write that crap but it's hard to say out loud with a straight face...

• User profile image
    leighsword

It seems my English has a great move, where I am? well, let's back to the topic, I am agree that the Office is still sold in the old fashion way, and there is a simple idea for reach the WYBIWYW(what you buy is what you want), of course it's depeand on the Internet.
    I think Ballmer's "enabling people in a people-ready business" is not an 'investment' like upgrade Office12, it is of vital importance to the business, just like The Art of War said "Maintain an army for thousands of days to use it for just an hour or less"(養兵千日,用兵一時) 

• User profile image
    Rowan

Karim wrote:

So I think IT must also accelerate and increase the intellectual productivity, which is our most valuable resource, our people. The systems we assemble must create a positive feedback loop that forces our teams to not only execute but to educate, change, propose, act, and evolve within, and ultimately reward our business with profit, while at the same time informing the business models themselves to capture progress made and foster change when needed.

[This Paragraph Generated with Microsoft Office 12 BS Generator.  Simple set the Type to "Presentation," and the style to "New Age Gibberish..."]

Indeed.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/zombiecopy/

"Indigenous and proven career management tools coupled with a comprehensive series of integrated initiatives have been evolved, to ensure that employees continue to sustain a high performance culture, while recruitment and selection is based on necessary competencies…"

Sounds familiar...

• User profile image
    JKelley

From the talks I've heard about the new Office UI they really are focusing on making functionality that's always been there available.  So I think they are doing a certain amount of what you're suggesting Karim on how to sell an upgrade.  Maybe they just need to put that more front and center?

Conversation locked

This conversation has been locked by the site admins. No new comments can be made.